the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

I had to go missed for real for the first time. I was shooting an RNAV into my home airport (KONZ). I broke out at 1500 AGL and had the runway in sight, all was good! Then, at about 1 mile final, fogg just rolled in and I was completely in the clouds again. Had to go missed! I tried it again but never seen the airport at all. Ended up going to a nearby airport and landed in perfect VFR conditions. That was the first time I’ve had to go missed for real. It was a little shocking to be honest. I had the runway completely in sight, then it was gone!

I had the runway completely in sight, then it was gone!

That is the hardest when you can see the runway then can't. You are ready to land and then gotta go through the missed instructions in your head all over again. Makes my brain muscles sore... :yesnod:

eh - she’s moving in a week for a new job rotation. But I did delete. BTW - She got insurance, inspection, several forms, and as a result a new car title plate!

Cars in CA are a bit more complicated that the rest of the country.

Last edited:
At the risk of posting something worthy of its own thread...

Sanding joint compound sucks.

Last edited:
At the risk of posting something worthy of it's own thread...

Sanding joint compound sucks.

well, if you can't put it on smooth to begin with, there are some techniques that minimize the amount of sanding needed...

If it doesn't have to be all that strong, the lightweight stuff is better. I was introduced to that by guys building foamy rc models...it was the easiest lightweight filler to make foam smooth at the time. (for foam I think they put down a sealer coat of water based polyurethane first, but obviously you wouldn't do that on a wall.)

I have a Sirs Navigator (NV2A) compass that needs a swing but I do not have the tool that fits it. Went to order one and OUCH!

$33.55 ($49.70 Canada) + $5.80 shipping from the Spruce folks:

1702683143066.png

Etsy has a knock-off for $12.50 + $7.60 shipping. With two GPS units & my iPhone in the plane I can't recall the last time I actually used the compass. Still, I'd like it to be there and useable if it is ever needed.

1702683218808.png

Seems the Spruce is following the old proverb, "make money today & friends tomorrow."

how come sometimes I put food in the microwave and put it on for x:xx and it comes out completely cold, yet other times it comes out piping hot and yet other times it'll come out where the plate is super hot but the food is cold? all the same food, same times...... weird.

how come sometimes I put food in the microwave and put it on for x:xx and it comes out completely cold, yet other times it comes out piping hot and yet other times it'll come out where the plate is super hot but the food is cold? all the same food, same times...... weird.
Depends on whether dog or cat food.

Anyone hear a plane overhead, grab their phone, open Foreflight, and click on the blue triangle to see who it is and where they’re going?

I had to go missed for real for the first time. I was shooting an RNAV into my home airport (KONZ). I broke out at 1500 AGL and had the runway in sight, all was good! Then, at about 1 mile final, fogg just rolled in and I was completely in the clouds again. Had to go missed! I tried it again but never seen the airport at all. Ended up going to a nearby airport and landed in perfect VFR conditions. That was the first time I’ve had to go missed for real. It was a little shocking to be honest. I had the runway completely in sight, then it was gone!
Good job. Usually bad things happen when you go for a third look.

I got to fly in a Vision Jet today. Sweet ride. The fuel burn is eye watering though.
How eye watering? I've wondered how it compares to the single turboprops with similar performance and purchase price.

I got to fly in a Vision Jet today. Sweet ride. The fuel burn is eye watering though.
Do you recall how much? I've been keeping track what we do in the PC12. IIRC, 400pph at FL270, 500pph at FL200 - around 270-280 KTAS. Did the Vision Jet even get that fast?

How eye watering? I've wondered how it compares to the single turboprops with similar performance and purchase price.

Do you recall how much? I've been keeping track what we do in the PC12. IIRC, 400pph at FL270, 500pph at FL200 - around 270-280 KTAS. Did the Vision Jet even get that fast?
Takeoff is in the 90s. Cruise was in the low 70s. We were hitting 300 TAS in cruise at FL270.

Man, my wife brought home some of the boxed food from the school she teaches at.

Too much sugar and too much salt. Not to mention everything taste like boiled cardboard.

I guess if the folks think public schools are responsible for feeding their kids breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack, then taste doesn't matter.

The breakfast cereal doesn't taste bad, but one serving provides 52 percent of the daily recommended value of sugar. I won't even feed any of this to the dog. I kind of expect to see a REJECT stamp on the packages.

It comes from National Food Group. Isn't that the same company that supplies food for prisons.??

It comes from National Food Group. Isn't that the same company that supplies food for prisons.??
Not since the supreme court started applying the prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment to the states.

Takeoff is in the 90s. Cruise was in the low 70s. We were hitting 300 TAS in cruise at FL270.
I assume those are GPH. I don’t think I would say no to a free airplane that performs like that.

If you get hearing aids with built in bluetooth, you don't need to carry a boom box on your shoulder anymore.

Too much sugar and too much salt. Not to mention everything taste like boiled cardboard.
Thankfully things haven't been so dire I've needed to boil up some cardboard for dinner. Although I have had my fair share of plain rice cakes cutting weight for wrestling.

Hey, if they can't get them hooked on opioids anymore, at least they've still got amphetamines and insulin to fall back on.
Too dark?

I hear they are ~$900/hr planes pt91
At 300 KTAS, that's $3/mile. Certainly not Cherokee prices, and definitely a multiple of light twin prices, but not an order of magnitude greater. Going almost twice as fast with more seats in pressurized comfort is probably worth $3/mile. Especially for missions like my place to Phoenix. A $900/hour 300-knot plane would be 3:11 in the air each way and $5,700 round trip. The lowest-priced first class ticket is $1,100 per seat even before you deal with the hours of ground shenanigans on both ends, crummy schedule, regional jets, and high probability of cancelled, delayed, or overbooked flights. If I needed to park $4M into a depreciating asset, I could make the case for a Cirrus jet. I, uh, don't and can't.

Thankfully things haven't been so dire I've needed to boil up some cardboard for dinner. Although I have had my fair share of plain rice cakes cutting weight for wrestling.
Boiled cardboard isn't so bad as long as you take the glue off first. :yesnod:

Rice cakes... the air in my mouth has more flavor than plain rice cakes. By the time I got enough peanut butter and jam or syrup on one to get some flavor then all weight loss benefits were out the window...

I hate Blue Tooth.

I just got a blue tooth plug in to give my desk top BT capability. When it doesn't freeze up the Settings app, it shows BT as active, shows the name of my PC, shows the name of my PC on my phone's BT devices, and when I try to pair it refuses. PC doesn't seem to "see" anything that wants to pair with it.

Bought another BT plug in. Same thing.

I'm running the latest Windows 11 version, which means it's probably never going to work LOL.

Back