the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Got it. My wife is a special ed teacher specializing in Autism for middle school. Lots of hugs, as well as bathroom support and whatnot. I’d say both you and I married up……

Gallup, NM. She is the special ed teacher. Lots of kids from the reservation, and they all just love her and want to be hugged a lot. Seems they don't get much attention at home. Plus all the 100s of millions of dollars given to the reservation to bring running water to individual homes seems to always get lost, so bathing usually isn't a regular thing.

Got it. My wife is a special ed teacher specializing in Autism for middle school. Lots of hugs, as well as bathroom support and whatnot. I’d say both you and I married up……

I thank both of you wives for what they do. That‘s not an easy job.

Anyone seen "Godzilla Minus One"? Japanese movie with English subtitles.

Out doing my rat killing this morning.

Again, another over loaded F-150 going down the interstate at 75mph, a bumper pull Rv at least 26 ft long, bed loaded to about 3 feet above the roof line, rear bumper about to drag the ground, front wheels about to lift off the ground, constantly swaying back and forth from line to line in its lane.

This is something I see way too often on the interstate. Nothing wrong with the truck or load in general, it is the two just don't fit together.

And sometimes we see the pickup again except on a roll back, and not in very good shape anymore.

Out doing my rat killing this morning.

Again, another over loaded F-150 going down the interstate at 75mph, a bumper pull Rv at least 26 ft long, bed loaded to about 3 feet above the roof line, rear bumper about to drag the ground, front wheels about to lift off the ground, constantly swaying back and forth from line to line in its lane.

This is something I see way too often on the interstate. Nothing wrong with the truck or load in general, it is the two just don't fit together.

And sometimes we see the pickup again except on a roll back, and not in very good shape anymore.
Reminds me of my annual New Mexico hunting trip. Last year somewhere on i-80 inbumblefoot western Nebraska was a guy with a loaded truck full of "metal" (using that term loosely). He was towing a trailer that had a truck on it in better shape than the one he was driving. But that's not saying much. Both were dog piles. Both the truck on the trailer and the trailer were heaped to the hills with "metal".

The truck being driven actually had a business name spray painted on the side. "Scrap man Doo"

Something tells me this business was unregistered.

I almost wasn't even mad about all the debris he was shedding after seeing the name.

Is that a thing in Chicago? Because he is, in fact, from Chicago.
Called it. Chicago folks have a thing with hot dogs no other city has. Put more things on it than you’d think physically possible.

Called it. Chicago folks have a thing with hot dogs no other city has. Put more things on it than you’d think physically possible.
But not ketchup, which is a cardinal sin (and I tend to agree with that)

No currywurst for you? True, that’s more of a Berlin thing in my experience though.
Plenty of that too. The cafeteria would have currywurst with fries often. And Wednesday was usually schnitzel day. You really didn't see the type of bratwurst that they sell in the US. I always got a kick out of the sausage stands that would be setup different places. Even outside the "home depot" there.

Dirty Harry is a fictional character. From San Francisco. I don't get my culinary advice from fictional characters from ridiculous places. Have you tried James Bond's recipe for scrambled eggs? It's basically a broken hollandaise and I bet he secretly puts ketchup on it.

I watched in horror this weekend as my friend put ketchup on his brat.
Yeah, that should be chalked up as a momentary lapse of reason…perhaps fueled by the IPL, Black IPL, 6 row pils, barleywine, or wood aged weizenbock. One of those may have contributed, I reckon.
No currywurst for you? True, that’s more of a Berlin thing in my experience though.
I’ve been to at least 3 curry wurst places that claim they were the best in the world and a dozen total. One in Lithuania…it was fine. The worst wurst was in Hamburg (no claims to greatness), but outside of a convention center and it was spectacular in its dry blandness. Best was in … Berlin, of course.

Is that a thing in Chicago? Because he is, in fact, from Chicago.
That's all that goes on mine. Not from the city, but close enough. Hot dog is ketchup and onions only. If I'm in the city I'll just order a Maxwell street polish sausage.... Cuz I know I'm wrong.

Any CA folks out there that can help me with a car insurance question? Daughter is getting full coverage on her Subaru. Napa Valley area. How much is reasonable? She’s single, 25, just got a job post college graduation. $2000 a year?

Any CA folks out there that can help me with a car insurance question? Daughter is getting full coverage on her Subaru. Napa Valley area. How much is reasonable? She’s single, 25, just got a job post college graduation. $2000 a year?
Not in Cali and not 25… but 2k a year for a Subaru? That’s crazy!

Not in Cali and not 25… but 2k a year for a Subaru? That’s crazy!
What's the coverage? The legal minimum which I think is about 30,000/5,000/2000? More? Uninsured motorist coverage? What's the value of the Subbie? What's the Deductible? What's her driving record? Tickets/accidents?

Standard 100/300 coverage, $1000 deductible, comp, uninsured, etc. value is about $20k.

Standard 100/300 coverage, $1000 deductible, comp, uninsured, etc. value is about $20k.
I've got a 2017 Outback. 250/500. $500 deductible. It's in Santa Barbara. Maybe Napa is a higher claim area but I would doubt by a lot. I'm with a major, State Farm which is going to be higher than Flo and other online types. $816.54 a year. $2000.00 a year seems kinda steep, even for a 25 year old. Who she gittin' that quote from?

Quote was from State Farm.

Last edited:
Made it from CMI (Champaign, IL) to JGG (Williamsburg, VA) nonstop in a bit over 3 hours thanks to a 40+ knot tailwind the whole way.
View attachment 123083
How is that airport? I've wanted to fly myself back to visit my old stomping grounds in the broader Hampton Roads area and have considered hitting KJGG as well as a bucket-list visit to KTGI.

Taking the family to colonial Williamsburg?

How is that airport? I've wanted to fly myself back to visit my old stomping grounds in the broader Hampton Roads area and have considered hitting KJGG as well as a bucket-list visit to KTGI.
Pretty good. Decent restaurant on the field. Everything is in pretty good shape. Shorter than most, but plenty for a SEP.
Taking the family to colonial Williamsburg?
Yes, and Busch Gardens. Going to run down to FFA tomorrow, looking forward to that.

Made it from CMI (Champaign, IL) to JGG (Williamsburg, VA) nonstop in a bit over 3 hours thanks to a 40+ knot tailwind the whole way.
View attachment 123083

you have a 'night' switch. I didn't know that's how it worked. thank you for doing that at the end of every day, pretty close to the same time.

View attachment 123083
I surfed the tailwinds as well! Never seen sustained groundspeeds in the 170s in my arrow before. Felt good! Got to KDAY in no time (USAF museum visit).

PXL_20231207_201115226.jpg

Had my first experience with altitude sickness and the associated heavy sense of irony thereof.

Am visiting a family member who bought a house at 8800ft MSL.
Waking up the first morning after arriving there was not a fun experience. (I live, and have spent most of my life, at about 500ft MSL)

Had my first experience with altitude sickness and the associated heavy sense of irony thereof.

Waking up the first morning after arriving there was not a fun experience. (I live, and have spent most of my life, at about 500ft MSL)

After moving to 6500 msl I found out that walking about 30-45 minutes a day helped me acclimatize to the altitude in just a few days.

I mean until walking I would wake up at night out of breath from sleeping...

Where is this high house?

Back