the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

I left the chicken soup on the counter overnight for 10 hours. I put it in the fridge this morning before breakfast.

Would you eat it for dinner tonight?
As someone who spent 3 days in the hospital with salmonella from chicken, I vote NO.

I left the chicken soup on the counter overnight for 10 hours. I put it in the fridge this morning before breakfast.

I took your advice and poured it into the compost.

Nah. Chicken soup won’t go bad that fast.

Would not especially if I was going flying afterwards.

I had some tail tonight

2d351add08124955f86d83fa7119b0c7.jpg

I'm surprised by how young Tom Hanks looks in "Castaway." I had forgotten how long ago that movie premiered.

First world problem combined with extra time on my hands right now.

Stratus 3 - how to change the WiFi name?
That is, when you search WiFi sources on your tablet to connect your EFB to the Stratus 3, it shows as "Stratus32345678" Anyway possible to change the name?

I picked up 2 popup IFR's the past 3 flights. Maybe I should just file ahead of time the next few.
That’s probably a good idea. Could increase your chances of getting good weather. Kinda like a when you throw something away that you’ve had for just about ever but never use, the next day something happens that you need one.
So I filed and ATC handed me a 45minute delay for release. Turns out there was an airshow TFR, a VIP TFR and a stadium TFR in the area.

More karma: I washed my car and of course it unexpectedly rained 2 days later.

So I filed and ATC handed me a 45minute delay for release. Turns out there was an airshow TFR, a VIP TFR and a stadium TFR in the area.

More karma: I washed my car and of course it unexpectedly rained 2 days later.
So the Prez was throwin’ the first pitch at the game and the Blue Angels were flying over??

A 45 minute delay is probably better than an extended route around the TFRs

I’ve ridden in that one, I think. Pretty stately ride, really.

for realz, how many are there?
Half a dozen or so still flying, I think, and the EAA Trimotor Tour flies two of them. One is EAA owned and one belongs to the Liberty Museum.

After looking at that one again, I flew on the other one… it’s in Transcontinental Air Transport livery.

Is it possible to get enough electricity out of a jumper box to power preheat? I used a couple web calculators and seem to need a portable generator

800 watts at 120 volts was iirc 6.7 amps

Generally I’m just trying to get from 25-30 to 45-50 degrees so I’m not shredding the engine during a cold start.

Hangar wait list is 15 years. I’m sure I’d do something different if I lived where it actually gets cold like park it all winter three hours away.

TIA

Is it possible to get enough electricity out of a jumper box to power preheat? I used a couple web calculators and seem to need a portable generator

800 watts at 120 volts was iirc 6.7 amps

Generally I’m just trying to get from 25-30 to 45-50 degrees so I’m not shredding the engine during a cold start.

Hangar wait list is 15 years. I’m sure I’d do something different if I lived where it actually gets cold like park it all winter three hours away.

TIA
Jumper box like a 12 volt battery jump start? The ac/dc conversion would make that a likely no in my book. Maybe a massive Jackery portable battery has the oomph for the duration you are likely to need for a good pre-heat. Another option: make a deal with FBO to move it and plug it in when you call for a reasonable fee?

Something that makes me go......hmmmmmm

How did Gallup, NM go from Americas most patriotic small town:

To making the top spot of the 10 most dangerous cities in New Mexico...

Hmmmmmm....

not airplane related, but wild enough that I'm posting anyway. Two local news stations have reported that the 9 girl who was reported missing from a state park just north of here about a day ago was found safe. The amber alert thing has been all over the highway signs and phones...maybe that actually worked. Anyway, if true, it's great that she's OK.

update - turns out it was a little bit airplane related...they put up a TFR over the park during the search, so that the NYSP search aircraft could fly around with less concern about traffic.

link: https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/breaking-amber-alert-for-charlotte-sena-cancelled

Last edited:
Racerx- you certain that wasn’t an alien weapon discharge? Soundless lightning not far far away seems impossible
It wasn't soundless. Just like an m80. Wasn't expecting that. Now, we did have daily air force flyovers...just don't see em doing it in a hail storm.

"With nearby lightning strikes the thunder will sound like a loud bang, crack or snap and its duration will be very short. As the shock wave propagates away from the strike center, it stretches, diminishes, and becomes elongated. Then other shock waves from more distance locations arrive at the listener."

Hmmmmmm....
How is Taos on that list but not Espanola?

Hmmmmmm....
What says those are exclusive of each other?

Back