the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Any surprises from that lunch you left in your desk?
I’m at a new company… but the old company is probably dealing with my surprises haha.

Last Wednesday was my first day in the office since it all began… ~25 months. We had 10/40 ish and really only because the big boss was in from Boston.

I was in the entire time, not one work from home day. Was creepy the first week or two, but after that, business as usual.

I was in the entire time, not one work from home day. Was creepy the first week or two, but after that, business as usual.
Even now, we're "ramping up" to 1 day a week. I'm also in a different function now. Face-to-face was much more important in my previous role than my current.

Got sent home back in 2020 as classes went virtual and all the students were sent home. Some time that summer the department chair calls me late Wednesday night to tell me that I should have been physically in the lab starting the previous Monday. Spent the rest of the summer in the lab keeping it open for the students that were not there.

I made a steam engine from a casting kit.
20211105_080606.jpg

Kinda handy to have a lathe and CNC mill a dozen steps away from my office.

I learned yesterday that an OSHA inspection does not actually involve anyone from OSHA.

I learned yesterday that an OSHA inspection does not actually involve anyone from OSHA.

I was troubled and yet amused when DHEC began doing "virtual kitchen inspections" in the school district F&B areas ...

not an Office Space fan, hun?

4JoveB.gif

So, about those TPS reports...

On a recent episode of NCIS, Gary Cole’s character mistakenly referred to a form as a TPS Report. When he was corrected, he say “old habits die hard”. I thought that was brilliant.

The check for my gigantic annual bill cleared on Wednesday. Mechanic showed up Thursday AM to fix a leak.

For about 18 hours, I didn’t owe a mechanic.

One less 182 that exists. ****ats

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) had previously denied a request from Red Bull to do the stunt, as reported by Fox 10 Phoenix. The agency wrote: "The FAA has considered the petition, and finds that granting an exemption from § 91.105(a) would not be in the public interest and cannot find that the proposed operation would not adversely affect safety."

The FAA is now investigating the crash.

FRKdt7kVEAEohTJ

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) had previously denied a request from Red Bull to do the stunt, as reported by Fox 10 Phoenix. The agency wrote: "The FAA has considered the petition, and finds that granting an exemption from § 91.105(a) would not be in the public interest and cannot find that the proposed operation would not adversely affect safety."

FRKdt7kVEAEohTJ

"...welcome to Avemco, please press 1 for claims..."

The check for my gigantic annual bill cleared on Wednesday. Mechanic showed up Thursday AM to fix a leak.

For about 18 hours, I didn’t owe a mechanic.
Is that a new personal best?

This confuses me. This stunt was widely advertised. It was on live TV. Does the FAA have no ability to step in and stop this? At a minimum, couldn't they have issued a press release along the lines of 'this is not approved and we will do <whatever> if the stunt is performed'? What about the local LEOs? Did this break any city/county/state/federal regs?

I'm not aware that FAA has any enforcement entity that can drive up and put people in handcuffs and physically stop people. They don't give a waiver to the existing rules, you do it anyway, and then they bring charges against you.

Does the FAA have no ability to step in and stop this? At a minimum, couldn't they have issued a press release along the lines of 'this is not approved and we will do <whatever> if the stunt is performed'?
While the FAA does have certain emergency powers, they also have the burden of proof. So just like other rules/laws out there something has to take place before they can initiate any enforcement. Have seen a couple ASIs get reassigned for being too "proactive."
Did this break any city/county/state/federal regs?
You could start at the rule he asked for the exemption on, plus possibly 91.13 which has been the downfall for a few helicopter pilots who left their running helicopter to attend to other business. No clue on the local/state side unless they get them for littering.

This confuses me. This stunt was widely advertised. It was on live TV. Does the FAA have no ability to step in and stop this? At a minimum, couldn't they have issued a press release along the lines of 'this is not approved and we will do <whatever> if the stunt is performed'? What about the local LEOs? Did this break any city/county/state/federal regs?
I'm not aware that FAA has any enforcement entity that can drive up and put people in handcuffs and physically stop people. They don't give a waiver to the existing rules, you do it anyway, and then they bring charges against you.
While the FAA does have certain emergency powers, they also have the burden of proof. So just like other rules/laws out there something has to take place before they can initiate any enforcement. Have seen a couple ASIs get reassigned for being too "proactive."

You could start at the rule he asked for the exemption on, plus possibly 91.13 which has been the downfall for a few helicopter pilots who left their running helicopter to attend to other business. No clue on the local/state side unless they get them for littering.
Littering and? Littering and?

Side note, please don't make me merge this thread into the Red Bull one.

Is that a new personal best?
It sure seems to be. Between a 60 year old plane and snail-pace billing, it seems like I always have something need attention before I even get the last squawks' bill.

Random Thought1) Flying IFR - this is different than I expected - in a much better way. I had imagined most of IFR flying would be in IMC, nail biting approaches with the field coming into view just as DA reached. So far the only IMC was once during climbing to cruise altitude. Except for the monthly practice under the hood with a SP, it's all mostly VFR and cleared for the visual. Enhanced flight following with extra privileges.

But being able to file IFR and fly through ATL Bravo not only saves a ton of time, it's a real kick to fly directly over the the worlds busiest airport. All the while not worrying about busting Bravo in VFR.

Random Thought 2) I read an account here of a guy that just passed his check ride for PPL, and his DPE said something along the lines of "You did fine. But keep in mind, right now, you're a lousy pilot. You'll get much better - you're still learning". I found that true for my PPL, and I'm finding that true for IFR. I seem to be doing better now than when I passed the check ride back in Jan. It seems much easier. I also have a better understanding of how important it is to keep current, and how the skills can degrade.

FRKdt7kVEAEohTJ
Can't wait for the Dan Gryder commentary on this one - ;-(

Started something today…View attachment 106469

After years of being a pilot, I will finally become a “real” pilot.

Good for you, I do believe tailwheel time makes you a better pilot overall. I soloed in a Cessna 140 and then later got over 100 hours in a Swift. After around 200 hours in various tailwheel airplanes, I started instructing in PA-11's. After giving 600 hours instruction I was pretty sharp and never damaged one. I did ground loop the PA-11 one day, after letting the student go too far to the left, right brake pedal broke but no other damage. That was all back in the 70's and 80's, unfortunately I have not flown a tailwheel airplane for 5 years.

by 'real' u mean u flew a low wing?
No way. Anyone can fly a low wing :D

By "started" you mean you hand-propped it?
Yes, did that. Felt like learning to dance… awkward and stumbling all over the place (except into the prop!)
But also I ‘started’ my training …

Good for you, I do believe tailwheel time makes you a better pilot overall. I soloed in a Cessna 140 and then later got over 100 hours in a Swift. After around 200 hours in various tailwheel airplanes, I started instructing in PA-11's. After giving 600 hours instruction I was pretty sharp and never damaged one. I did ground loop the PA-11 one day, after letting the student go too far to the left, right brake pedal broke but no other damage. That was all back in the 70's and 80's, unfortunately I have not flown a tailwheel airplane for 5 years.
It’s been on the list. I am using this as a tool to get better. I also want to use this as part of my mission to bum around low and slow, cub trekking, cub camping, etc.

Back