the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

One year ago today, I flew my first solo out of KIPT (Williamsport, PA). Since then, I've flown 78.6 hours, joined a club, got my Private, got to fly with my grandfather before he passed, and if all goes well will finish my instrument by the end of this year. It's been a wild ride, but I love every minute of it. So thankful to have had the opportunity to pursue this passion and glad to be a part of the PoA community.
Not worthy of its own thread, but felt like my 1 year since solo was at least worthy of a post somewhere.
How did you get your 50 hours of PIC X Country with only 78.6 hours in the log book? As well as another 40 hours of sim or actual IMC?

How did you get your 50 hours of PIC X Country with only 78.6 hours in the log book? As well as another 40 hours of sim or actual IMC?

Well, first of all, I said that SINCE December 7, 2020, I have 78.6. I started flying about 3 months before that, so 78.6 isn't my total time. I'm actually at 90+.

I also didn't say that I've met my PIC/Instrument. I still have a few hours to go on both, but if I do PIC IFR XC with an instructor or safety pilot, my hours can count for both, which is what I'll do for most of the rest of my time.

If all goes according to plan (which it never does) I will finish checking all my boxes next week with about 110 hrs of total time.

United (finally) officially extended my status another year.

A cello section friend from college was on the Tonight Show last night accompanying Miley Cyrus.

Congrats to your friend. Although TBH I didn’t know either was still around.

If the O-ring inside of a 637 valve cap has deteriorated significantly the cap can be advanced on the valve stem to make contact with the valve core resulting in slow leak. I was fortunate to find my flat tire having preflighted and topped off tire pressure air the previous day. You can see where the (secured) valve core pin contacted the cap. Enough of a day long mystery that cancelled my flight. I suppose this could happen to pressurized struts as well.

core.JPG cap.JPG

cap 2.jpg

Attachments

• cap.JPG
    cap.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 9
  • core.JPG
    core.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 9
Pulled a muscle in my leg. On crutches for 3 days, slow recovery. Getting older sucks....

I guess I went deer and elk hunting at the right time. While I was gone, three people from my crew tested positive for covid, making an already super tight December schedule even worse. The elk hunt was my father in law's hunt. I just went along because I married his daughter and she demanded I go with him in case he falls or something else happens. (he has a lot of health issues) We stayed in his cabin in Northern Arizona. He keeps the inside temp around 120 degrees which was fun. He shot and wounded an elk at dusk. I tracked it until it got too dark and then came back and tracked it for three miles the next morning. I finished it off with a .45 pistol. I hate to make an animal suffer.

I cleaned under the microwave that sits on the counter. What a mess.!!

I cleaned the oven the other day, inside and out. Now I am really afeared to go under it....

I guess I went deer and elk hunting at the right time. While I was gone, three people from my crew tested positive for covid, making an already super tight December schedule even worse. The elk hunt was my father in law's hunt. I just went along because I married his daughter and she demanded I go with him in case he falls or something else happens. (he has a lot of health issues) We stayed in his cabin in Northern Arizona. He keeps the inside temp around 120 degrees which was fun. He shot and wounded an elk at dusk. I tracked it until it got too dark and then came back and tracked it for three miles the next morning. I finished it off with a .45 pistol. I hate to make an animal suffer.

Well that's a rough story. Hope the rest of your holidays are less miserable.

ac079ce8e51bcefaabf000a7f744c91e.jpg

No, YOU grow up!

Great way to encourage people to switch to EVs... the increasing prevalence of gas pumps to play commercials and other crap while you pump gas.

Great way to encourage people to switch to EVs... the increasing prevalence of gas pumps to play commercials and other crap while you pump gas.
No kidding. Some people will cross the street to save 2 cents a gallon. I’ll cross the street and pay $1/gallon more to opt out of those stupid ads.

.. the increasing prevalence of gas pumps to play commercials and other crap while you pump gas.

On most gas pumps I've encountered there is a button to mute the sound. It's not marked.

But that don't help at all with the adult sized child with their car on the other side with the "thump pumped up" and some of the nastiest cop hating, woman raping, drug vaping, stuff coming out of the rolled down windows while the adult sized child is inside getting a monster drink and a cigarillo ... :rolleyes:

I'm now night current. Don't look for runway lights, look for a long dark stretch of land. Forgot how lit up Walmarts, Home Depots, Car Dealerships, and hundreds of other what not are.

Got my "Bravo Badge" today. RNAV Y 28R at KPIT. It was also my safety pilot's first time into a Bravo field, so pretty cool for both of us! Touchdown just after dark, so got to see the full array of lights. It was really cool. I'll post a picture of a photo he took of Pittsburgh on approach tomorrow.

Got a Bravo Badge - awesome! Any landing fees? Did 737’s have to line up behind you - and watch out for your wake turbulence?

I got my hair cut today. He cut all the coloring out of my hair and beard. I gotta put it back in later tonight.

I got my hair cut today. He cut all the coloring out of my hair and beard. I gotta put it back in later tonight.

If my barber were to cut all the coloring out of my hair, he'd have to shave me bald(er)

:-/

Landed on grass for the first time today. Flew up to Red Stewart Field (4OI) to do it. Was sort of anticlimatic, not near as rough as I had expected.

Landed on grass for the first time today. Flew up to Red Stewart Field (4OI) to do it. Was sort of anticlimatic, not near as rough as I had expected.

OMG, you didn’t do it in a mooney, didja?!?!?

Got a Bravo Badge - awesome! Any landing fees? Did 737’s have to line up behind you - and watch out for your wake turbulence?

I believe the landing fee is $10.65, but since it was just a touch and go, I don't know if/when they will bill it. From what I've heard, maybe send a bill to the registered owner (club address).

As far as lining up behind me, there was a Southwest flight given the option of cycling in behind me for 28R or taking 32, and he opted for 32. I wasn't following anybody closely enough to get a wake turbulence warning, nor did the guy behind me get a "Caution Prop Wash" warning.

Last edited:
Scheduled my IRA checkride today. Hard to believe how close it is. Gotta buckle down and make sure I'm prepped for it. Time to break out the notes, review some Sporty's videos, and most importantly, fly more! lol

Going with Vanguard? Schwab?

Lol! I'm not sure yet. Have to decide if I want to go with a regular checkride or a Roth. I think with the Roth I pay the DPE upfront, whereas the regular I pay him after the checkride? Or is it the other way around? I never can keep that straight!

After 4 months of scheduling conflicts, and a deferred class 2, I am an instrument-rated private pilot. I cannot be certain, because of the foggles, but I might have finished the check ride in actual IMC...;)

"approach flaps"...why is this listed on a bunch of plane sale ads? I'm talking 'normal', typical GA planes, you know, with big engines and constant speed props and, like, battries and stuff. just seems like such an odd thing to highlite, but wtf do I know.

"approach flaps"...why is this listed on a bunch of plane sale ads? I'm talking 'normal', typical GA planes, you know, with big engines and constant speed props and, like, battries and stuff. just seems like such an odd thing to highlite, but wtf do I know.

Maybe it's a nice way of saying "well, the flaps always deploy, but they don't always retract...so I call em 'approach flaps'" :)

Back