the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Around here, if you signal it gives others a heads up that you intend to change lanes - and gives them a head start in blocking you.

Hmmm and here I thought that was just a Detroit thing!

It's been my experience that some folks in Boston or NYC metro areas will treat a turn signal like someone that's telegraphing a punch. Or in other words, they perceive a need to block whatever that action is. I don't signal after changing lanes, but I will do it while I'm changing lanes, depending on where I'm at. It's not an indication of what I'd like to do, it's an indication of what I'm doing. The purpose being so that it's apparent as an intentional, rather than accidental, lane change.

An alternative of this is someone driving in a middle lane, below the speed of the flow of traffic, signaling away with perhaps some intention of doing something that's probably dangerous. Sometimes they'll slow down to a near stop, traffic wizzing by them on both sides, before either blindly cutting off someone, or speeding back up to close to traffic speed and giving up.

Around here, if you signal it gives others a heads up that you intend to change lanes - and gives them a head start in blocking you.
I always make sure my turbos are spooled up before I hit the signal.

Interesting. Once my signal is on, if there’s physical space, I’m moving in.

the old concepts in the Boston area include (1) the wreck has the right-of-way and (2) don't make eye contact (if you do, you yield the right-of-way). And the always popular the use of turn signals is a sign of weakness.

the old concepts in the Boston area include (1) the wreck has the right-of-way and (2) don't make eye contact (if you do, you yield the right-of-way). And the always popular the use of turn signals is a sign of weakness.

Here in the south when the signal comes on I have the right of way ...

On my flight yesterday, heard “blackbirdNN” declare an emergency on frequency. The guy declaring, sounded cool but annoyed that there is smoke in the cockpit. I found it odd that ATC queried for which support they’d like on the ground, “ambulance, fire truck?” The pilot replied, “yeah, that will work.” I thought Blackbirds were done flying but my quick googling showed that callsign is used by a charter outfit from Denmark.

I flew in Friday evening to see daughter in LOU which was VMC. Cleared for visual while northbound to LOU for runway 6 at night was essentially a circle to land at night. I am now not a fan of circle to land at night at an urban airport surrounded by a sea of lights.

I flew in Friday evening to see daughter in LOU which was VMC. Cleared for visual while northbound to LOU for runway 6 at night was essentially a circle to land at night. I am now not a fan of circle to land at night at an urban airport surrounded by a sea of lights.
I’m right there with you. Was cleared to KSAT visual 13R from an extended left base.. at night. I had to tune the ILS and did t see the airport until on the needles. It didn’t help that approach dropped me too the tower super high.

That was last night for me. “Airport 12 o’clock, 10 miles” and I only see a bed of lights. Finally picked it out on 3 mile final.

Bonus / my runway 6 had no approaches. So all visual. Hypothetically if you get a little wide on your right hand base you get to call “going around”. And they don’t turn off the runway lights to the not in use runway 15. Whose runway lights look a bit like what they use on 6. Which makes - hypothetically - it a no brainer to call “going around”. Which is a nice translation of what you really want to say.

Last edited:
I’m right there with you. Was cleared to KSAT visual 13R from an extended left base.. at night. I had to tune the ILS and did t see the airport until on the needles. It didn’t help that approach dropped me too the tower super high.
They gave you a Visual Approach Clearance before you reported the airport in sight??? You accepted it???

They gave you a Visual Approach Clearance before you reported the airport in sight??? You accepted it???
That’s a good point. Perhaps I wasn’t “cleared” quite at that point. It was a couple years ago. All I recall is only seeing city lights and no airport until the needles came in and I was turning down final about 4 nm out.

I’ve “had the airport in site” before without having the airport in site. Report me.

Also, multiple times I’ve spotted the beacon, specifically going to north Myrtle, from SIXTY miles out. 60. I consider that having the field in site, personally.

"expect visual approach, fly heading 180, report airport in sight"
"airport is 12 o'clock, 5 miles, report in sight"
"airport is 12 o'clock 3 miles, are you ****ing blind?"

"Airport in sight..."

"Cleared visual approach, contact tower dumbass"

Me: I see the beacon
Approach: Good enough. Switch to tower-cleared for visual. (Close to “Closing time! You don’t have to go home but you can’t stay here - Good Night everyone! )

I’m trying to return home and apparently there is an Active Convective across half of the country in my way. Of course the expiration keeps moving forward.

I’ve “had the airport in site” before without having the airport in site. Report me

i do it ask the time at my home drome. It’s in a valley if I wait until i literally see the airport, I’m way too close to not be on CTAF.

I’ve “had the airport in site” before without having the airport in site. Report me.

Also, multiple times I’ve spotted the beacon, specifically going to north Myrtle, from SIXTY miles out. 60. I consider that having the field in site, personally.

If you can see it on the GPS your good. Yeah it’s right there, on my screen. Same thing works for traffic.

Ain’t nothing wrong with that. Beacons on the airport.

"expect visual approach, fly heading 180, report airport in sight"
"airport is 12 o'clock, 5 miles, report in sight"
"airport is 12 o'clock 3 miles, are you ****ing blind?"

"Airport in sight..."

"Cleared visual approach, contact tower dumbass"
“We’re with ya on the Visual Tower, but we can’t quite find the Runway”
“Well dumbass, watcha gonna do now”

One of tonight's Wheel of Fortune contestants is a flight attendant and another is executive director of Angel Flight.

(1:15)

Last edited:
I watched part of that. I caught that he worked with angel flight, but not that he was a/the director. Pretty cool...good publicity for the charity.

We had a 15-17k direct cross wind couple days ago. I decided to go mess around and practice X wind landings. I definitely prefer a left X wind to a right one. Anyone else have a definite preference?

I prefer left crosswinds as well. I think it's because when I slip into the wind when it comes from the left, I get increased vision instead of decreased vision like slipping to the right.

I like left too. I think because the weight of your arm naturally helps you turn into the wind. It's been so crosswindy lately I've gotten good practice both ways.

I think for me it’s all about the rudder. Right rudder is just natural. It’s like cow bell, need more right rudder!

Practicing slips during PPL training it was always left wing down for better runway visibility. Because of that, I think most people are better at left xwinds.

Practicing slips during PPL training it was always left wing down for better runway visibility. Because of that, I think most people are better at left xwinds.
I was always taught aileron into the wind.

When slipping to lose altitude I like it to the left. Especially with passengers. It feels better for them to be on the high side. If for the landing, well it ain't your choice. The wind is in charge

Is that the real reason so many instructors have to constantly say "more right rudder?"

Back