The new shop

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
the building is 99% done. we passed the final inspection today we are starting to move the equipment in.

Attachments

• 20150802_142129.jpg
    20150802_142129.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 229
  • 20150802_142153.jpg
    20150802_142153.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 20150618_085312.jpg
    20150618_085312.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 20150626_190233.jpg
    20150626_190233.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 193
looks good
just curious, are you doing anything for insulation on the roof above your framed wall, and if so, what ?

looks good
just curious, are you doing anything for insulation on the roof above your framed wall, and if so, what ?

Contracted today to have the whole thing closed cell foamed at 3 inches thick. he comes Saturday to get it done.

They built everything sideways. Other than that, looks nice.

Looks real nice. New stuff is always nice and clean.

We spent all day today cleaning out all the debris we made by building it. even washed the new Hard Deck floor.

Next we get to wash the oil preservative off the steel, so the foam will adhere to it. This should be a real fun chore.

We spent all day today cleaning out all the debris we made by building it. even washed the new Hard Deck floor.

Next we get to wash the oil preservative off the steel, so the foam will adhere to it. This should be a real fun chore.

Run a little denatured alcohol in your wash. That should make everything squeaky clean for a good stick.

Stupid iPhoto is the worst thing that ever came from Apple

It's not exactly iphoto.

Jpgs have something called EXIF data, and in it is something called the orientation value. The problem is people's browsers or devices are not reading the orientation value. You can either strip the exif data and rotate it in an image editor, or just leave it as is and tell people to update their old computers and phones :p

It's not exactly iphoto

It ain't anything you can use, besides share with face book

I had all 15,000 pictures sorted by albums, until PHOTO scattered them, and now they are by date taken. who the hell remembers what date they took a picture?

You're in collections view. Tap the albums button? :p

Anyways, I'm looking to have a shop built for myself too. What was the cost and where did you get the materials?

Tom, that's a great shop. I love that system (Canadian, right?), elegant, scaleable, durable, easy. What's not to like?

You're in collections view. Tap the albums button? :p

Anyways, I'm looking to have a shop built for myself too. What was the cost and where did you get the materials?

the steel came from http://steelarchbuildings.com/catalog/ Little over $5k. all other materials were purchased local, the slab was contracted by (B&B Cement) local company owned by friends $1300 labor, 18 Yards of cement $2800, deliver by a pump, $150. the siding is western red cedar old growth from Sound Cedar inc. in Mount Vernon Wa.
The closed cell foam will go in on Saturday, 3" entire interior $5750.00 (most expensive item) Windows from Home Depot, one is fogging up already. $200. each. (6) building permit $650. still to buy electrical stuff. (I'll instal). Door to build.

Tom, that's a great shop. I love that system (Canadian, right?), elegant, scaleable, durable, easy. What's not to like?

Nope, All US stuff.

Tom ...

Amazing. We both built our new workspaces within a year of each other. Congratulations ... I'll post interior and exterior shots when the building is done. Right now I'm working to finish the insides.

Bottom floor is two-car garage, woodshop, metals shop, two extra workbenches. Top floor is all electronic engineering lab (that's the part that is getting finished ... I'll actually have a lab for the first time in 40 years that I can stand up in without bumping my head.)

Again, congrats. I know what it feels like.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0662s.jpg
    IMG_0662s.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 74
That looks really good. I hope you enjoy it.

we got the insulating foam in over the weekend.

But it is hard to keep that equipment on the wall. :)

Attachments

• 20150809_131651.jpg
    20150809_131651.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 75
Very nice, I like the mix of wood and metal.

:drool: to go in that shop

25 CFM @ 90 PSI with a 60,000 hour pump life. Portable so you could take it to the airport where power isn't available to drive that big of compressor.

Last edited:
:drool: to go in that shop

25 CFM @ 90 PSI with a 60,000 hour pump life. Portable so you could take it to the airport where power isn't available to drive that big of compressor.

I already have the bead cabinet, and a better compressor.

The bead cabinet is junk. I wish I had bought a better air tight one, this thing leaks and puts beads every where in the shop.

I already have the bead cabinet, and a better compressor.

The bead cabinet is junk. I wish I had bought a better air tight one, this thing leaks and puts beads every where in the shop.

Put new seals on it :p

I hope you put some type of fire barrier over that foam? If not you might want to look into some sprayable material. If you get a decent burn going on that stuff it's not pretty. Especially in vertical orientation.

Oh nice shop. Enjoy it.

I hope you put some type of fire barrier over that foam? If not you might want to look into some sprayable material. If you get a decent burn going on that stuff it's not pretty. Especially in vertical orientation.

Oh nice shop. Enjoy it.

Not much welding will be done here, most of the work will be recovers, and engine overhauls. and yes some fabrication.

Not much welding will be done here, most of the work will be recovers, and engine overhauls. and yes some fabrication.

OK. I would still think about some sheetrock or other barrier if you have an area that will see heavy grinding, etc. I would assume the foam is Fire Rated and that will help. But if it gets burning, well it wont be pretty. Don't get me wrong, closed cell foam is great. I spent several years developing PU foam/spray foam systems. Flame friendly they are not. 3" is a good amount of foam. You will be very toasty in there in the winter.

A couple of strategic fire extinguishers would be nice as well, just in case.

Enjoy the new digs. I would love some space like that to build my Skybolt in.

OK. I would still think about some sheetrock or other barrier if you have an area that will see heavy grinding, etc. I would assume the foam is Fire Rated and that will help. But if it gets burning, well it wont be pretty. Don't get me wrong, closed cell foam is great. I spent several years developing PU foam/spray foam systems. Flame friendly they are not. 3" is a good amount of foam. You will be very toasty in there in the winter.

A couple of strategic fire extinguishers would be nice as well, just in case.

Enjoy the new digs. I would love some space like that to build my Skybolt in.

You got my attention, I have a chunk of the foam, I'll fire test it today. we'll see how much it requires to get it to flame up.

and yes the end walls will be covered with OSB. ya got to have some thing to nail stuff to.

Back