The kid is getting a promotion!

Congrats. That's awesome. I could of sworn you posted about getting hired months ago.

My wife and I always joke about getting on a regional flight and the flight crew introduces themselves as Zack and Madison. My wife wants to hear Captain Roy, Howard, Al, or Sam...names accompanied with some gray-haired experience. She's probably a little sexist too, but if there is a woman up front, it better be a Joan or Barbara, the sort of ladies who don't take s__t from anyone.

The mighty CRJ900

You've been flying the 200 correct? If you haven't flown the 900 yet you're going to love it. Big improvement over the 200, and fast mofo. Hey you might be flying 900s I flew at ASA now that Delta broke off the contract w/ ASA/ExpressJet. FADEC is sweet.

Congrats. That's awesome. I could of sworn you posted about getting hired months ago.

My wife and I always joke about getting on a regional flight and the flight crew introduces themselves as Zack and Madison. My wife wants to hear Captain Roy, Howard, Al, or Sam...names accompanied with some gray-haired experience. She's probably a little sexist too, but if there is a woman up front, it better be a Joan or Barbara, the sort of ladies who don't take s__t from anyone.
Time flies. April will be 2 years at the company already. I’ve flown with one Barbara. Her seniority number was like twice my age lol. At least some of the FOs will have gray hair after I get done flying with them!

You've been flying the 200 correct? If you haven't flown the 900 yet you're going to love it. Big improvement over the 200, and fast mofo. Hey you might be flying 900s I flew at ASA now that Delta broke off the contract w/ ASA/ExpressJet. FADEC is sweet.
I’ve been on the 900 since December. I could only take the 200 for a few months. I didn’t really care which one I got when the upgrade award came out. Yea we’re getting ExpressJet planes (former Pinnacle planes). Some of them have VNAV so I’ve got a few LMS’s to complete before the end of the month.

Yeah hard to keep track of who flew what. But Delta owns 'em and puts them where they want to. Shet I flew the 200 10 years and when I went to the 700/900 (we flew both at ASA) I thought I died and went to heaven.

While Jordane has achieved the seniority to bid captain, let's all save the major congrats for when he is captain.
It's not hard once you know the ropes (certainly as he does as an FO), but he still has a few hoops to jump through.... including a Fed riding in his jumpseat for inspection.

As I said before, CONGRATS to Jordan...
but I will save the "Captain Jordan" for even a better announcement-- when he is a captain.

While Jordane has achieved the seniority to bid captain, let's all save the major congrats for when he is captain.
It's not hard once you know the ropes (certainly as he does as an FO), but he still has a few hoops to jump through.... including a Fed riding in his jumpseat for inspection.

As I said before, CONGRATS to Jordan...
but I will save the "Captain Jordan" for even a better announcement-- when he is a captain.
Yea especially because as of a few months ago our captain pass rate was abysmal. The few check airman I’ve spoken to said everyone can fly the plane no problem but most of the new captains struggle with soft skills, staying organized, and commanding leadership.

I don't like being in a leadership position. If I flew airlines, I'd retire as a 30 year FO. No worries, just fly and do what the Capt says. :)

I don't like being in a leadership position. If I flew airlines, I'd retire as a 30 year FO. No worries, just fly and do what the Capt says. :)
There is most definitely something to said for that. You still get to fly 1/2 the legs without the responsibility. Stay senior and bid what you want.

That said, the money is better plus you get to do it by your technique without interference.

All luck and timing!
Don’t I know it. I was flying left seat in Cessna 402’s, Twin Otters and Jetstream 31’s at your age. While not pure jets, it was what the industry was at the time.

In the interests of ful disclosure, I could have upgraded to Captain on the old 737-200 in 1995 but I chose not to because seniority was very important to me. I am sure you have figured that out by now but seniority is everything.

Don’t I know it. I was flying left seat in Cessna 402’s, Twin Otters and Jetstream 31’s at your age. While not pure jets, it was what the industry was at the time.

In the interests of ful disclosure, I could have upgraded to Captain on the old 737-200 in 1995 but I chose not to because seniority was very important to me. I am sure you have figured that out by now but seniority is everything.
Exactly. Totally different times. It does help that my company is constantly building up NY and adding new planes. Reserve in base can be an awesome thing.

That’s one of the cool things about working for a major - the FO pay is good enough that it’s not a big deal to hang out in the right seat for QOL reasons. I’m back in the right seat after being in the left for a couple of years, and it’s been nice. It helps that I’m in a base that’s known to have really awesome crews, so my chances of flying with an asshat are much smaller than if I were based at say, DFW. ;)

Reserve in base can be an awesome thing.

Absolutely! I like to fly and prefer the flexibility of having a line, but we have guys that bid late RAP short call that fly so little they end up in the schoolhouse every so often just to get their landings in. Heh!

Absolutely! I like to fly and prefer the flexibility of having a line, but we have guys that bid late RAP short call that fly so little they end up in the schoolhouse every so often just to get their landings in. Heh!
The reserve FOs in JFK are begging to get used. Apparently none of them fly. The opposite is true of the reserve CAs. They get used like all the time so my dream of sitting at home on reserve and never getting used looks like it won’t happen!

The reserve FOs in JFK are begging to get used. Apparently none of them fly. The opposite is true of the reserve CAs. They get used like all the time so my dream of sitting at home on reserve and never getting used looks like it won’t happen!

Just think how bad it would be to commute to that...

Just think how bad it would be to commute to that...
It’s awful. They only get 11 days off (soon to be 12). A lot of the time the 11 days off are less because they need to commute in the day before and/or have to stay an extra night because they can catch a flight home at the end of a reserve stretch.

Yea especially because as of a few months ago our captain pass rate was abysmal. The few check airman I’ve spoken to said everyone can fly the plane no problem but most of the new captains struggle with soft skills, staying organized, and commanding leadership.
seems like only a few months ago i was telling you to watch and learn from the captains to learn how you should and should not run your cockpit, I am betting you stored that info away and will have no problem. its a different world in the left seat even in an aircraft that you have flown for years. my first upgrade came i an airplane that i had over 5000 hrs in and sat in the right seat for over 7 years, it was still a big change.

bob

get ready to be breaking guarantee every month, every airline i know is reluctant to upgrade and slams the reserve captains. I fly with captains that fly 80 hrs a month, with min days off, most months I work 6 or so days and maybe 30 hrs, life is nice right as a long call FO.

bob

seems like only a few months ago i was telling you to watch and learn from the captains to learn how you should and should not run your cockpit, I am betting you stored that info away and will have no problem. its a different world in the left seat even in an aircraft that you have flown for years. my first upgrade came i an airplane that i had over 5000 hrs in and sat in the right seat for over 7 years, it was still a big change.

bob
Yea everything is happening quickly. I’m just over 2800TT with about 1100 in the jet. Crazy times! I definitely am thankful for the bad captains because I know what not to do the FOs. With our new TA, we got long call back so we’ll see how that goes. Either way, I don’t expect to be sitting around at home. It won’t too bad working a lot though. At least I’ll get compensated nicely for it.

The Captain awards at my airline came out and I made the cut. Looking forward to adding the fourth bar and responsibility! The final award comes out on November 28th and that’s when I’ll get my training date.
Congrats!! I am a little late here but that is awesome!

Congratulations Jordane. I wish I had an inkling of what I wanted to do in life right out of high school. You seem to have it figured out, good on ya!

And by the way, Valentine's Day in Minneapolis is great but the 12th will suck. ;)

congrats man. can't wait to be in your shoes someday

Congratulations Jordane. I wish I had an inkling of what I wanted to do in life right out of high school. You seem to have it figured out, good on ya!

And by the way, Valentine's Day in Minneapolis is great but the 12th will suck. ;)
I wanted to be a pilot (mil and/or commercial) in my teens but couldn't pass the 20/20 uncorrected requirement in place at the time.

Back