The Impossible Burger

A vegan burger?

Danny-DeVito-Nope.gif

Okay, so there I was. Was I really going to pay that?
And why did I feel pressured to add a 2 dollar tip?
If they are asking for it, they must need it. Dunno.
I paid $13 for mine (post #22).
It looked Meat-ish but visibly not a perfect analog.
Still smelled Good but the aroma was alittle off. Enough that I think even if I didn't know I might make note.
I had outdoor seating and it was a little breezy so I couldn't smell as well.

So the best way I could describe it was like diet meat. or meat lite.
I would know for sure if I was eating that patty on its own w/ no forehand knowledge of what it was.
I concur. The beef burger I had as a control had that distinct beefy flavor. The IB was much less intense in that department.
Definitely had a sort of crispy outer crust not normally found in real meat.
Here is where you and I diverge. I like my burger 0.9" +/-0.2" thick, mahogany brown on the outside with any protruding bits dark brown and crispy and a pink medium doneness with enough juice to douse the bun but not so much to soak it and compromise structural integrity.
The inner texture was very meat-like but also very dry.
Mine was too wet. I suspect these things are tricky to cook.
The texture was about 80% there. There was just something I can't quite put my finger on that was noticeable.
Yup. I'd say the next nearest veggie burger is about 50%.
Byra, let us know if ya hit the shetter if a few hours...or less! :eek:
I didn't have any problems. But then I have a reputation for a cast iron gut.

You can see how quickly threads like this turn snarky. Not sure why.

If anyone is interested, Karen and I are both very long term vegetarians. It was one factor that matched us on eHarmony.

We both enjoy veggie burgers from time to time. The ones from BK are not bad.

If meat could ever be vat-grown, we might indulge on occasion, since that process eliminates the major reason we’re vegetarians. But neither of us think it would ever become a regular thing.

As an aside, Karen’s a great cook and neither of us feel deprived in the slightest.

You can see how quickly threads like this turn snarky. Not sure why.

If anyone is interested, Karen and I are both very long term vegetarians. It was one factor that matched us on eHarmony.

We both enjoy veggie burgers from time to time. The ones from BK are not bad.

If meat could ever be vat-grown, we might indulge on occasion, since that process eliminates the major reason we’re vegetarians. But neither of us think it would ever become a regular thing.

As an aside, Karen’s a great cook and neither of us feel deprived in the slightest.

Be careful on those web sites - "Asian" and "likes dogs" may not mean exactly what you think it does.

I've been a vegetarian longer than there's been an internet. We like veggie burgers too on occasion, if nothing else is around they're really easy to prepare. We don't eat them that often because usually something is around. I had a veggie slider for lunch, though no one would mistake it for a meat patty. I liked it well enough.

Everyone in the previous generation had all sorts of health problems, many cardiovascular. I have none save my gout, which has ben under control for years. What I do works, and the biggest problem I have is trying to keep the weight off. I think we eat quite well.

Update coming. I have to go to a meeting first. Yes we have become overrun with hipsters in this town. They seem to have migrated here beginning with the 1% community's first. my car is not fancy enough and my beard not long enough to eat at that restaurant. Had to enjoy my meal in my car.

By any chance, is the patty served on a man bun?

Saw "Adam Savage" and refused to click on it.

Glad you explained what it was about, because I won't watch anything from either of those guys after they tossed the team that made them really rich and famous, after they got way too busy to do enough work to cover the whole show, overboard, to get two more years of TV money, when the network said they wouldn't pay all of them anymore.

They should have all walked together and called it quits if the network wouldn't pay up. It was time. I lost all respect for both Adam and Jamie when they did that.

Whats wrong with NPR?
https://www.mrc.org/bozells-column/npr-admits-liberal-bias
I used to donate to NPR and listened to it in the car and at home until I just couldn't overlook the bias. Funny, when they called to see why I wasn't donating anymore, the guy calling agreed with me that they were biased.

Good book out called "Republican Like Me" by the former head of NPR.

On topic, we have a general policy of not eating things that are trying to be something else. :D

I like the shows on NPR.
On Friday (In Dallas) they have one called "Anything you ever wanted to know."

People call in, email, tweet any question.
Then people call in, tweet, email answers.

Sounds dreadfully dull but it is pretty interesting to hear ..... NM even typing about it is boring.

I like it though.

I like the shows on NPR.
On Friday (In Dallas) they have one called "Anything you ever wanted to know."

People call in, email, tweet any question.
Then people call in, tweet, email answers.

Sounds dreadfully dull but it is pretty interesting to hear ..... NM even typing about it is boring.

I like it though.

You need to call in and ask Bonanza or Mooney and record it. :)

what, no bacon? they can call it a "bacon cheese not-a-burger"

Putting bacon on a veggie burger is kinda missing the point, isn't it? Maybe "facon". But if you want meat, eat meat, amirite? Nothing like the real thing.

Of course, I have a shortcut to my favorite Jimmy John's sandwich that I call "food chain dominance." It's a Bootlegger's Club (roast beast and turkey) with bacon added, so they have to kill three animals just to make my lunch. And yes, it's very very tasty.

Then why'd you have to say so??? o_Oo_Oo_O:D;)

I used to donate to NPR and listened to it in the car and at home until I just couldn't overlook the bias. Funny, when they called to see why I wasn't donating anymore, the guy calling agreed with me that they were biased.

Certain shows are liberal, but overall I find it's pretty neutral, on the rare occasions I actually listen to the radio. (And if Fresh Air comes on, the radio gets turned off.) I appreciate that they tend to go into more depth on news stories rather than give the sound-bite version all the other networks do. So many issues are quite nuanced, and it's much more interesting to hear about all those nuances than to be told something like "Guns! Guns kill! Guns bad!"

But that link you sent is awfully old. It doesn't have a date (they probably don't want to discount it), but based on the people they're talking about and the positions they held at the time, that article is at least 12 years old.

And, of course, reality has a well-known liberal bias. :rofl:

No. Bacon belongs on everything. :)

I agree, but it's wasted on a veggie burger.

In other words, if you think about bacon from a mathematical perspective, if we accept that bacon makes everything better, that means everything makes bacon worse!

Now, a good cheeseburger is almost as good as bacon so the addition of the cheeseburger to the bacon doesn't hurt the bacon too much. But if you put bacon on a veggie burger, or brussels sprouts, or green beans, the bacon helps the thing it's on greatly, but that also means that you'd be way happier if you just ate plain bacon. :D

But that link you sent is awfully old. It doesn't have a date (they probably don't want to discount it), but based on the people they're talking about and the positions they held at the time, that article is at least 12 years old.

So is your assertion that NPR went more right wing in the last 12 years? LOL LOL LOL.

I agree, but it's wasted on a veggie burger.

In other words, if you think about bacon from a mathematical perspective, if we accept that bacon makes everything better, that means everything makes bacon worse!

Now, a good cheeseburger is almost as good as bacon so the addition of the cheeseburger to the bacon doesn't hurt the bacon too much. But if you put bacon on a veggie burger, or brussels sprouts, or green beans, the bacon helps the thing it's on greatly, but that also means that you'd be way happier if you just ate plain bacon. :D

Ahhh I see now. Yes, I was also going to suggest you just serve the veggie burger with bacon and then throw the veggie burger away. But definitely serve it with the bacon first. Otherwise, no bacon.

Ahhh I see now. Yes, I was also going to suggest you just serve the veggie burger with bacon and then throw the veggie burger away. But definitely serve it with the bacon first. Otherwise, no bacon.

LOL - Your "Otherwise, no bacon" reminds me of this old Miller commercial:

Good book out called "Republican Like Me" by the former head of NPR.

On topic, we have a general policy of not eating things that are trying to be something else. :D

So I guess you won’t be eating any Republicans? ;)

I don't listen to NPR but if he called in that question then I would totally call in to answer Cirrus.
How would you know?

Around here (wherever that is) they like to put a big slice of red beet on burgers.

Nauga,
who likes beets

How would you know?

Around here (wherever that is) they like to put a big slice of red beet on burgers.
I suppose I'd have to rely on someone who does listen to NPR to let me know. Or just wait for @SixPapaCharlie to post here telling us what he's about to do.

Around here (wherever that is) they like to put burger meat on slices of red beet.

Our local neighborhood theater (the oldest one in the US I'm told) has a giant bar in the lobby. Movies go better with beer, especially if there's lots of it. And you can get stuff from the pizzeria just down the road. Last week I watched Black Panther, ate pizza and drank beers. Right down the street from The Steinholme.

Beer would have been great in the theater back when I was in college. I hear Blazing Saddles was enjoyed best with blitzed. On the other hand, I wouldn't have known the difference, I had to watch it twice to come close to catching all the gags. I was laughing too hard the first time. :D

So is your assertion that NPR went more right wing in the last 12 years? LOL LOL LOL.

Anything would have been a move to the right. Even 45 years ago it had a show that a friend called "All things liberal". :p

How would you know?

Nauga,
who likes beets

I was warned that they do that in Australia. And they do. And it's good.

I've thought about ordering a Veggie Whopper with bacon to see what kind of looks I got a Burger King. I'm not sure they'd make the connection...

those guys are paid big bucks, maybe they would get it

Vegetarians crack me up they way they won't/don't eat meat but take great pains to make whatever they're eating taste like meat.
Stuff only gets rolled out for visitors, mostly for the humor value. That said, there are meals where on needs to "add" a protein component. For example, if I'm making some pasta (I make my own with spelt, by the way) its a grain, and I like to add a protein component to the meal. Just dumping in beans really doesn't cut it every time, so it is nice to reach into the freezer for some sort of soy product I can just heat up and dump in. More a convenience thing if anything. A veggie burger is something you can quickly heat up and eat on a bun, it's facile and nourishing.

That said, I've been making pulses, patties, burgers and cakes out of all sorts of things for many, many years.

I thought the impossible burger was one that you didn't have time to take your pants down and turn around before it came out the other end.

Vegetarians crack me up they way they won't/don't eat meat but take great pains to make whatever they're eating taste like meat.

I agree - I feel the same way about low carb "fake" foods like riced cauliflower or spaghetti squash. The answer is not to figure out how to make a substitute food, take what you have and make that great on it's own.

I have no issues with vegetarians - eat what you want. That said, my food still poops on your food ;) :D

THe thread is open now after a warning and deleted post, but will be closed again if it falls into the Spin Zone.

Engaging spin zone transporter in 3, 2....

How can meat be political?

I daresay many vegetarians have somewhat fond memories of certain meat dishes.

So it’s not unusual that they might wish to recapture at least some of the flavor/texture of meat in things they prepare and consume. I know I do.

Why would that crack anyone up?

Back