The Impossible Burger

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Two questions:

1. Anyone tried it / PIREP?

2. If scientists could create a spot on analogue of meat. 100% identical in every way, would modern meat eating humans switch to it or still go for the animal variety (assuming same nutritional values too)?

At any rate, I am off to spend $14 *Gulp* on one of these "ham"burgers after stumbling across this video and finding a location in town that has them. I'll let ya know.

I don't have 14 minutes to devote to a 'vegan hamburger' video and I DEFINITELY aint got a minute of my time to try one. but go for it! in fact, get it on video!

A vegan burger will make you poop sideways for a week.

I just made that up.

2. If scientists could create a spot on analogue of meat. 100% identical in every way, would modern meat eating humans switch to it or still go for the animal variety (assuming same nutritional values too)?

That would mean giving up the satisfaction of killing the meat. So no.

Okay, I just did some due diligence. Impossible Burger isn't a chain, but it is available at three locations nearby. If I didn't already have a pirep scheduled....

Then again it is a veggie burger. I'm not spending no $14 for no damn veggie burger. In fact I can't see myself eating no damn veggie burger. Plus I just read the nutritional content, it has five carbs and two sugars.

The impossible burger? That would be the burger at some restaurant at an airport that is fogged in, right??? :)

Last edited:
Addison (hopdaddy)
Total hipster name
Y'all finally got hipsters up there too? I am so so so so sorry, man.
They cannot make a rare hamburger to save their life. You have to tell them "2 minutes on each side, tops". They'll still bring you a well-done piece. And forget your fries. And the beer. :)

I had seen Hopdoddy in Los Angeles when I was down there for work, then I went to San Antonio and saw both a Hopdoddy and a Subaru dealer. Y'all are screwed.

Update coming. I have to go to a meeting first. Yes we have become overrun with hipsters in this town. They seem to have migrated here beginning with the 1% community's first. my car is not fancy enough and my beard not long enough to eat at that restaurant. Had to enjoy my meal in my car.

Update coming. I have to go to a meeting first. Yes we have become overrun with hipsters in this town. They seem to have migrated here beginning with the 1% community's first. my car is not fancy enough and my beard not long enough to eat at that restaurant. Had to enjoy my meal in my car.

hqdefault.jpg

I've tried it. Since I'm veg-curious and not vegetarian or vegan, I was able to have it side by side with a beef burger.

It's hands down the closest non-meat thing to beef that I've ever had. However, it's still not as good as the real thing. Part of it may be that the beef burger was really well prepared and the Impossible Burger had a high bar to clear. Perhaps if the IB were prepared better (it was a little mushy, possibly undercooked) and the beef burger prepared less carefully then it might be a race. But...

Summary: good try, but not quite.

Its just a jumped up soy burger guys. The jumped up part is fascinating, and utterly brilliant. The biggest difference between a soy burger and a cow burger is the cow burger is red (there are others, honestly, but the color is a bit of a standout). Meat has its distinctive red color due to the presence of heme, which is found in globin proteins, hemoglobin in blood and myoglobin in muscle. The scientists who developed the impossible burger engineered yeast to make a globin protein, though this one is from soybeans. They did some other things too. If they ever hit my town I will happily eat them, sounds yummy. That said, they aren't likely to hit my pathetic little provincial one-horse town any time in the near future. A pity too, there are a lot of vegetarians here.

Last edited:
Yes we have become overrun with hipsters in this town.
Get in touch with your city planners. Set aside one block, and on it open a Whole Foods (or a co-op for bonus points), a vintage clothing store (bonus: consignment shop), a bike shop that sells nothing but fixies (bonus: stock wood bikes and unicycles) and four or five "artisan" coffee shops (bonus: single-origin fair-trade only) that become dive bars serving only PBR and super-overhopped "I" PAs (bonus: Bulleit in mismatched glasses) and avocado toast (bonus: fried Brussels sprouts). After 2 or 3 weeks wall it off, sometime around 5am preferrably. You'll have the rest of the city to yourself.

Nauga,
who owns no flannel

Last edited:
How can you call a conglomeration of vegetables a burger,it’s just not proper.

Get in touch with your city planners. Set aside one block, and on it open a Whole Foods (or a co-op for bonus points), a vintage clothing store (bonus: consignment shop), a bike shop that sells nothing but fixies (bonus: stock wood bikes and unicycles) and four or five "artisan" coffee shops (bonus: single-origin fair-trade only) that become dive bars with serving only PBR (bonus: Bulleit in mismatched glasses) and avocado toast (bonus: fried Brussels sprouts). After 2 or 3 weeks wall it off, sometime around 5am preferrably. You'll have the rest of the city to yourself.

Nauga,
who owns no flannel
You just described my neighborhood, except you left out the movie theater cum giant bar.

Our local neighborhood theater (the oldest one in the US I'm told) has a giant bar in the lobby. Movies go better with beer, especially if there's lots of it. And you can get stuff from the pizzeria just down the road. Last week I watched Black Panther, ate pizza and drank beers. Right down the street from The Steinholme.

Okay, so there I was. Was I really going to pay that?
And why did I feel pressured to add a 2 dollar tip?
If they are asking for it, they must need it. Dunno.

I clicked it.
0001.jpg

^^^ That's "Burger" plus tip. No fries, no shake, no nothing.
And why is their a question mark after Jalapenos? <-- not in that sentence. on the actual order.

I think I know but I will get to that.

I hopped in my car, hit the road and right away was excited to see this old Navion. (Its an aviation forum after all not a burger forum)

0002.jpg

My excitement about the Navion was destroyed when it passed and I saw the Silver alert.
High probability someone on this forum went missing.

I kiddd!!!! I Kidddd!!!

0003.jpg

He and I were probably going to the same place I thought.
0006.jpg

As I drove past Addison airport, I tipped my hat to this fellow aviator Cirrus-ing about.

0004.jpg

I pulled up to this place and it smelled AWESOME!!! I am pretty sure there was one particular meal that was not involved in the amazing aroma filling the air.

0008.jpg

I really didn't fit in so I did take my lunch to my car and eat there.
Nondescript white bag, smelled great. I found the bag to be easy to open and very nonthreatening.

Also you can now call me "Brya" for short.
0009.jpg

There it was.
A thin layer of cardboard between me and a nearly $20 sandwich.
0010.jpg

It looked Meat-ish but visibly not a perfect analog.
Still smelled Good but the aroma was alittle off. Enough that I think even if I didn't know I might make note.
0011.jpg

Ok, I do have one quick issue. I order jalapenos on Pizza, Burgers, everything.
In the last 2 years everyone in this state has switched to fresh Jalapenos.
NO!

I say again NO!

Pickled jalapenos go on food.
Fresh Jalapenos go in salsa.

I muscled on in spite of this new trend.
0012.jpg

So I made sure to try the "Feat" (Faux Meat) on its own and then proceeded eating the thing as a encapsulated meal system.

It tasted REALLY REALLY Good.
That is not to say it tasted like a hamburger.
It was just really good and if I were to switch to this, I probably would feel like I was getting my burger fix satisfied.

But you have pickles, onions, japs, tomato, etc. It is a lot of things that make up a burger's flavor.
I would even postulate that in general meat is one of the weaker flavors in a given burger.

So the best way I could describe it was like diet meat. or meat lite.
I would know for sure if I was eating that patty on its own w/ no forehand knowledge of what it was.

Definitely had a sort of crispy outer crust not normally found in real meat.
The inner texture was very meat-like but also very dry.
The texture was about 80% there. There was just something I can't quite put my finger on that was noticeable.

If I was just served this not knowing what it was I would ask if it was some type of game animal.

Glad I got it and at the current price point I wouldn't get one again.

If I had this and a "real" burger on the menu at the same price, I would pick this one but I had a garden burger at Red Robin last night.
I try to consume animals sparingly. I feel bad for them and I am not 100% convinced that my teeth aren't designed for grinding.

So a more voracious meat lover might be far more turned off by this than I am and they might not feel like they are getting their burger fix.
It was far closer than any vegan, veggie, blackbean, or soy burger I have had before. Most are kinda awful.

All in all. Good, Close, but the price is a deal breaker.

I ripped it in half to get a shot of the inside.
Even visually, you can tell it is missing the mark a little.

0013.jpg

Byra, let us know if ya hit the shetter if a few hours...or less! :eek:

Last edited:
what, no bacon? they can call it a "bacon cheese not-a-burger"

Back