• 70%

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
I buy 93% lean hamburger only because I can't find anything leaner. To me, 7% fat seem like a lot. And to call something "70% lean" ought to be criminal.

Is anyone here able to find anything leaner than 93% on the grocery store shelf?

I do not think I have seen anything leaner. You probably have to buy that Japanese Kobe beef to get leaner. Dunno. Never even thought about it before.

David

Ours comes out of the neighbors' field, but it's only about 90%. The ground turkey we use is 96%..

Jim

I thought this was aviation related because I didn't see "N/A" in the thread title. I was wrong.

I thought this was aviation related because I didn't see "N/A" in the thread title. I was wrong.
No, you were right. If we ate the 80% stuff we'd all be outside the W&B envelope.

I've seen 96%, but using that for a burger is downright criminal.

I use 80%. Fat = flavor.

blech. I also cook mine to the point of zero pink and squish it on the grill until all the juice (fat) is drained.

I've seen 96%, but using that for a burger is downright criminal.

I use 80%. Fat = flavor.

I bet the OP asks his steaks to be cooked Well Done too!

:D

don'tchall get down on us who eat lean... I admit an 80% burger is juicier, but I might as well tuck the thing in my pants because its going to my waist anyway!!

I thought it was a continuation of the BurgerGirl rant.... :confused:

I normally get 80% for grilling hamburgers (standard grind here) and maybe the leaner stuff for pan fried burgers or taco meat.

I wouldn't touch anything fatter than 80% though.

OUT! GET OUT!!!

Turn in your Grill Card.

Commandment #3:
Thou shalt not squish meats on the grill.

Agreed. Also, cooking until the pink is gone is just awful. Might as well just take the flavor completely out of it. If you went past medium, you're wrong.

For better taste,I prefer 85%.in meat loaf 93 % is OK.

I'm not allowed to grocery shop. If my husband sends me for lettuce, I come back with cabbage. Sends me for steaks, I come back with shredded pork. He actually trusted me the other day to go buy a ham for Easter and I screwed that up too. Came back with something that I thought looked like a ham, but - based on the exasperated look on his face and excessive head-shaking, it apparently was not. Thankfully - for the safety of the family, he does all the cooking.

As for the question at hand... I, uh... I guess I like my hamburgers to be 100% hamburgery. Or I just like to spend $100 getting to them.

OUT! GET OUT!!!

Turn in your Grill Card.

Commandment #3:
Thou shalt not squish meats on the grill.

Of course not. You bring it into the house and press between several layers of paper towels. Much more effective.

70% for me. I'd be fine with 80%, but 70% is what's available. Gotta have fat to have flavor. Plus a burger doesn't cook right if it's too lean...

Ok ya'll. I just ate a fried in the pan, 73% burger, mashed until the grease ran clearish. Browned on the outside, moist and tasty inside. You cannot take my grill card as I do not have a grill. HA!

David

Yes, really her place should be the laundry room and nursery, with access to all the cleaning supplies.

You'd think, right. Unfortunately, I may not be able to cook the bacon, but I am the one who makes it. So all that house and kids stuff goes to stay-at-home dad. Once he gets back in the workforce, I guess I'm gonna have to figure out which room the laundry magic happens in and read a manual or something.

Important question - do these burgers have bacon on them? Because if not, why bother consuming?

I prefer 85%, anything leaner and the engine misfires.

You probably have to buy that Japanese Kobe beef to get leaner.

Other way around. Kobe is the fattiest you can get. Beer, massages and lack of exercise does not make for a lean cow.

massages and lack of exercise does not make for a lean cow.

Wouldn't it depend on where you go for a massage and what physically you have to do to get the massage?

I opened this thread out of curiosity and thought it was going to be filled with photos of juicy hamburgers. Instead it's a debate about fat content.

I can't remember the last time I bought ground meat or cooked a hamburger...

Grind my own from chuck. Next one I want to try is equal parts brisket, short rib (or oxtail) and sirloin - which is supposed to be the best combo of texture and flavor.

Is anyone here able to find anything leaner than 93% on the grocery store shelf?
It is called a turkey burger. No joke.
Try it. Once you get used to the change in taste, it's not bad.
But forget the whole medium rare juicy idea ... that ain't happenin' with turkeys.
Again, though, they are pretty dang healthy.

Grind my own from chuck. Next one I want to try is equal parts brisket, short rib (or oxtail) and sirloin - which is supposed to be the best combo of texture and flavor.
There's a bar and grill near me that uses that mixture (not sure of the ratios). It is good.

I buy 93% lean hamburger only because I can't find anything leaner. To me, 7% fat seem like a lot. And to call something "70% lean" ought to be criminal.

All the time. 96 and 97.

Back