The Grand Adventure

Kent, Pictures, Pictures, where are the pictures you promised us? Let us see some of those pictures that I know you have. Bob
No, I think he's going to hold them and make a video out of them that's only available on the PilotCast!:goofy: So subscribe on iTunes NOW!:yes:

Well, you do know that he is between jobs as of now. So a video or a book might be in order. Say, I might even be in it! Bob

Well, you do know that he is between jobs as of now. So a video or a book might be in order. Say, I might even be in it! Bob

Maybe so, Bob, but knowing Kent, he'll probably think of a way not to have to pay you royalties. Ya' know.. Something clever like spelling your name backwards in the book to hide your identity. ;) :D

Re: The Grand Adventure, Day 2

And right there, I missed one of the coolest sights of the trip so far.

At one point on the big weather avoidance curve, I hadn't seen a town or really any other sign of humanity in over 50nm, and then I saw them - The majestic beasts that had seemed so mythical to me in the past were right below me - A pack of wild horses. There seemed to be some sort of altercation going on between a pair of them, they were fighting with the rest standing around watching. They paused momentarily as I flew over and then resumed the fight. I circled around and descended to get a closer look, but I guess I spooked them a bit. They broke into full stride, not running away but almost paralleling my track. It looked just like you might imagine - Thundering hooves, manes blowing in the wind, nostrils flared. What a neat thing to see!

And right there is the most impressive example of "this thread is useless without pictures or video" I've ever seen, despite your wonderful relating of the event... my youngest daughter's eyes lit up as I read your recounting of the event to her... she said "YES!! That WOULD be amazing to see from an airplane!"

So TELL us you got at least a snapshot of it!! :yes:

Re: The Grand Adventure, Day 2

And right there is the most impressive example of "this thread is useless without pictures or video" I've ever seen, despite your wonderful relating of the event... my youngest daughter's eyes lit up as I read your recounting of the event to her... she said "YES!! That WOULD be amazing to see from an airplane!"

So TELL us you got at least a snapshot of it!! :yes:

Hate to say it, Troy, but no. :no: :(

I went fairly low to get a good look at them, and I kinda needed to keep flying the plane. ;)

Kent;

Your wonderful story of mountain flying remimds me so much of flying over New England and using the ridges to get extra altitude. Keep the story comming and I am very glad you are having fun.

John J

Okay,

I finally added pictures to Day 3 and Day 4. :yes:

This one is still my favorite:

DSCN3641.jpg

Re: The Grand Adventure, Day 4

I probably won't be flying this week except maybe to McMinnville to see the Evergreen Air and Space Museum.

Hah! I flew Sunday - My cousin went with me, and my sister's fiance with my uncle. We did a bit of formation to get some pictures of the planes flying, too.

Then, I flew again yesterday, this time another cousin went with me and his wife went with my uncle. There had been a thunderstorm that passed through the night before and started some more fires, so there was a lot of smoke and vis was pretty crummy, but it made for an interesting sight. What was really cool was when we got the planes up close, they really sparkled with all the haze kind of fogging up everything behind them. (I'll try to get pics from the cousins, I didn't take any with my own camera.)

I haven't flown today. Yet. ;) :D

I was going to say; Gaston's doesn't have THAT much terrain! :no:

If you take off in the direction the camera is pointing, I presume you break left to gain altitude, possibly circling over the airport?

I was going to say; Gaston's doesn't have THAT much terrain! :no:

If you take off in the direction the camera is pointing, I presume you break left to gain altitude, possibly circling over the airport?

You can just follow Johnson Creek, which goes the way the camera is looking. Stay in the canyon and go down country. Johnson Creek runs into the South Fork of the Salmon River and on out to McCall that way. Bob

I SO want to fly out that way one of these days! :yes:

I think that this fall/winter will be the Bahamas, which isn't a bad alternative! :no:

24.8 hours (19.8 trip, 3.5 mountain, 1.5 flying around)

OK, Kent, I've just got to ask: How do you handle the space-age ergonomics of the traditional Cessna seat for that long? If I fly to Dubuque I'm ready to exit the plane before being on short final!

OK, Kent, I've just got to ask: How do you handle the space-age ergonomics of the traditional Cessna seat for that long? If I fly to Dubuque I'm ready to exit the plane before being on short final!
Hey, the 182s are COMFORTABLE! Kent, Leslie, and I have all done >5hr flights in them with no problem. I know that Leslie and I have done 9 hour days in them, too, and I think Kent has, too.

Hey, the 182s are COMFORTABLE! Kent, Leslie, and I have all done >5hr flights in them with no problem. I know that Leslie and I have done 9 hour days in them, too, and I think Kent has, too.

What Grant said. In a 182 with a comfortable headset, I can fly all day long. Record leg was 5.3 hours (KEFD Ellington Field, Houston, TX to KSIK Sikeston, MO), and after I fueled the plane and myself, I flew the rest of the way to MSN for an 8.8 hour day and I could have kept going.

The 182 may not be sexy, but it is one damn fine airplane. :yes:

You can just follow Johnson Creek, which goes the way the camera is looking. Stay in the canyon and go down country. Johnson Creek runs into the South Fork of the Salmon River and on out to McCall that way. Bob

What Bob said.

Go to the SkyVector page for Johnson Creek and follow along...

The camera is pointing north, which is also the way you take off (it's a bit downhill, and the terrain continues downward). There's a slight right, and then a left, to continue north. Near the town of Yellow Pine, you turn left and go west, following the river to the junction just north of Krassel (24K). Next, a brief turn north and then back west again to follow the road and river that goes between the 9322 and 9027 foot peaks. The water will peter out, and you just keep following the road as it turns south before the last ridge and then west into McCall. :yes:

The camera is pointing north, which is also the way you take off (it's a bit downhill, and the terrain continues downward). There's a slight right, and then a left, to continue north. Near the town of Yellow Pine, you turn left and go west, following the river to the junction just north of Krassel (24K). Next, a brief turn north and then back west again to follow the road and river that goes between the 9322 and 9027 foot peaks. The water will peter out, and you just keep following the road as it turns south before the last ridge and then west into McCall. :yes:

And here's how it all looks from the cockpit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64bOYdPMsZg

What Grant said. In a 182 with a comfortable headset, I can fly all day long. Record leg was 5.3 hours (KEFD Ellington Field, Houston, TX to KSIK Sikeston, MO), and after I fueled the plane and myself, I flew the rest of the way to MSN for an 8.8 hour day and I could have kept going.

Ah, the Cessna marketing folks method to get customers to move up from the 172!

Well, then it's a good thing I'm getting a demo flight in a new 182 next Friday at 1500. Woo hoo! :cheerswine:

Re: The Grand Adventure, Day 3

(updated with pictures)

A couple minutes later, I saw it - A waterfall! (From what I can tell by Googling, it's called the Silver Cord Cascade.)

Kent,

That is the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone called the Lower Waterfall. Here's a closer view and if you look to the upper right you'll see people standing at the edge! It's spectacular up close too!

Ron

Attachments

• waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 20
Cool video Kent!
Thanks for the writeups. I look forward to checking in to see the next tale in
your trip!

Great video Kent... I enjoyed it even more after reviewing the SkyVector map you posted... helped me visualize what you were doing and what your instructor was saying. A good point she made about keeping carb heat checks brief (if at all) on unimproved fields due to the unfiltered air.

In my limited experience, it is the most comfortable plane I've flown. And a damned sight more comfortable than most airliners I've ridden in. Great plane.

Sectacular pictures Kent! I know from trying to share them with others that they still do no justice. Keep truckin.

So Kent the CFI said to do a quick carb check becuse it sucks up unfiltered air which it alwasy does. Did she say to do a quick check b/c you were on an unimproved strip and more likekly to suck up dust or grass?

So Kent the CFI said to do a quick carb check becuse it sucks up unfiltered air which it alwasy does. Did she say to do a quick check b/c you were on an unimproved strip and more likekly to suck up dust or grass?

Maybe, although I'd almost think that a paved field would have the dirt up on the surface where it'd be easier for it to get sucked up.

Kent, I am enjoying this thoroughly! I like reading about your aeronautical decision processes as well as the great descriptions of the scenery. Keep having fun.

I'm not sure where the 182 and the 172 differ in terms of comfort. I know I've found the 172s to get annoying after about 5-6 hours, that's where I'll take the Archer any day over it. I've done 10.1 in a day in the Archer and was ready for more.

The 172, though, has rear seat leg room to spare, where the Archer is pitiful at best in rear seat accommodations. Same if you want to fly in a Mooney. I'll take the Archer or Mooney any day over the 172... unless I have to sit in back.

Of course, the Aztec's more comfortable than either, and the Navajo is more comfortable yet! :D

Keep the stories coming, Kent, I'm thoroughly enjoying this!

I'm not sure where the 182 and the 172 differ in terms of comfort. I know I've found the 172s to get annoying after about 5-6 hours, that's where I'll take the Archer any day over it. I've done 10.1 in a day in the Archer and was ready for more.

The 172, though, has rear seat leg room to spare, where the Archer is pitiful at best in rear seat accommodations. Same if you want to fly in a Mooney. I'll take the Archer or Mooney any day over the 172... unless I have to sit in back.

Of course, the Aztec's more comfortable than either, and the Navajo is more comfortable yet! :D

Wait until you fly a Bonanza.....

The 182 is definitely wider than the 172. It's quite noticeable.

The 182 is definitely wider than the 172. It's quite noticeable.

Amen to that. And you can darned near get lost in the back seat of a 182. Well, that might be a slight exaggeration, but it's better than a 172 and beats the living daylights out of an Arrow I! :yes: :yes: :yes:

its just a matter of the seats. we've got PLUSH leather seats in our 182RG, and burning a tank of fuel, 5.5 hrs or so, just isnt a big deal in it. if i had those kind of seats in a 150, id be ready to go all day.

So you keep telling me... we need to find a free weekend for both of us one of these days to do something about that! The rest of my August is booked, and September isn't looking much better, but maybe some Saturday...

its just a matter of the seats. we've got PLUSH leather seats in our 182RG, and burning a tank of fuel, 5.5 hrs or so, just isnt a big deal in it. if i had those kind of seats in a 150, id be ready to go all day.

Yeah, the newer G1000 182s that I've flown in have the plush leather and they're pretty comfy. I do NOT like those airbags, though. I don't like airbags in my steering wheel or on my dashboard, and now I'm getting one in my seat belt?! :hairraise:

I know I've found the 172s to get annoying after about 5-6 hours, that's where I'll take the Archer any day over it. I've done 10.1 in a day in the Archer and was ready for more.

Wow... I usually get a backache when I'm in an Archer for more than a couple hours, unless I'm alone and have some room to stretch out.

Excellent! :yes: Thanks for everyone's comments.

At some point this week, I'll be flying up to Bend for cheap fuel, taking my mom for a ride, and going to TMK and MMV to check out the museums. I'll also be flying my brother and his girlfriend up to PDX on Saturday morning to catch their flight home and pick up a pax for the next part of the trip. (Might do the museums on the way back from that.)

Sunday, I'll depart Sunriver and fly over Crater Lake and past Mount Shasta on my way down to CA. :yes:

Hmmm. I hear this all the time, but... I am not really comfortable in Bo's. They're kinda on the narrow side, and I hit my head in turbulence. Believe it or not, I fit MUCH better in a Mooney (FRONT seat :yes:) than I do in a Bo. :dunno:

I'll also be flying my brother and his girlfriend up to PDX on Saturday morning to catch their flight home and pick up a pax for the next part of the trip.
Is that the brother and girlfriend we met at Wings last year? Say "Hi!" for us!

Back