The Garmin Rumor... Now Confirmed

Newer aircraft are getting it via Service bulletins working with the airplane and avionics manufacturers. Most of these are by swapping the GPS receivers to get the appropriate position data, and by replacing the transponders. Some of these also need the radio tuning units modified.

It seems most are getting that done in conjunction with the TCAS 7.1 upgrade.

Older aircraft may not want to cough up the money to modify both GPS receivers and several STCs are in work and many released to add an additional GPS receiver that feeds data to a newer transponder.

FANS-1/A (+) is substantially different than what the average piston driver is looking at.
A few months ago we were told that there is no solution approved yet for the 680 fleet.

I suspect avionics installers are going to get nothing but busier as the decline approaches, and I doubt the FAA will delay its implementation. If you have to fly through controlled airspace you may find yourself going out of your way to stay out of said airspace if you wait around.
I wasn't suggesting that you wait until the last few months, but 2020 is almost four years away.

A few months ago we were told that there is no solution approved yet for the 680 fleet.

Recently one was issued for the 560XL.

I think a 680 operator would want the full blown FANS-1/A+ with the satcom integration.

This isn't my specialty so I'm not "the guy" for those questions but I pick it up here and there :).

I JUST had a GDL88 put in last week. Oh man

This is what I've been crying about waiting for. 1090ES OUT and 978 UAT and 1090ES IN!!!! Shouldn't have taken this long (looking at you, FAA). This is a one-stop solution for those with turbos who want to preserve their ability to use Class A airspace. Plus I'm assuming I get cross-fill(?) with GTN 750.

Thank goodness I didn't install the GDL-88 during my last annual even if they did go ahead and pre-wire for its antenna.

But did Garmin just make the GDL-88 obsolete for new installations or is there any advantage to it at this point?

I installed the 330 es last fall,now as usual Garmin comes out with a new box. Can't win,at least I didn't go with the GDL 88 that they where recommending. Whenever you ask them if anything new is coming out ,they always say not that they know of.

Was your existing transponder a piece of junk? Mine is so it kinda makes sense to go GTX335/345.

I have the GTX327.

What difference does it make if I have a GTX327+GDL88 than if I would've went with this new transponder (besides cost)?

I have the GTX327.

What difference does it make if I have a GTX327+GDL88 than if I would've went with this new transponder (besides cost)?

For starters:

The GDL88 has its own cooling fan. None of their current panel mount transponders do. I doubt the new do either.

The GTX335/345 do mode S / 1090 MHz extended squitter

GTX345 can stream wirelessly to portables

That's about it

Last edited:
I just had my GDL88 put in last week. What does this do the value of a GDL88 now? Did my box just become worth nothing overnight?

For starters:

The GDL88 has its own cooling fan. None of their current panel mount transponders do. I doubt the new do either.

The GTX335/345 do mode S / 1090 MHz extended squitter

GTX345 can stream wirelessly to portables

That's about it

The GDL-88 is also remote mounted in the tail and the installation is expensive and requires another antenna. I don't know yet if this one requires a new antenna (for ADS-B in) - guessing it will - but it shouldn't require ripping out the interior and running wire to the tail.

The biggest difference here is the arrival of DUAL band. Some of us need 1090 ES out. This one gives that while receiving dual band ADS-B in. That's fantastic.

I did the same thing when the 650 came out, I hadn't even picked my 182 up from the shop after installing a 430W!
To be fair, most manufacturers don't tell dealers about upcoming products until they are ready to go public with them, so your dealer wasn't lying to you. ;)
I installed the 330 es last fall,now as usual Garmin comes out with a new box. Can't win,at least I didn't go with the GDL 88 that they where recommending. Whenever you ask them if anything new is coming out ,they always say not that they know of.

The biggest difference here is the arrival of DUAL band. Some of us need 1090 ES out. This one gives that while receiving dual band ADS-B in. That's fantastic.

I've been wondering about this. What circumstances require the 1090ES out besides flying above FL180?

Do you need 1090 to fly to places like the Bahamas?

I just had my GDL88 put in last week. What does this do the value of a GDL88 now? Did my box just become worth nothing overnight?

Why would it? No functionality is changed. It's just a different way to skin the same cat. The only advantage I see to the new parts is ease of install since they slide into the transponder tray.

The new parts are not cheaper, and don't add anything new, except maybe bluetooth to talk to tablets (which the GDL-84 has).

I think you are fine with the GDL-88, it's a good unit.

All I know is the dude flying the beechcraft in the garmin press release needs to take a look at his altimeters and make them agree.

He's got one set to 30.08, another to 30.02 and another to 30.10, and the one in the upper right doesn't even have the right altitude on the numbers, though the needle looks right.

He's also on final with mixture leaned.

Oh wait, this was a discussion about the product? Sorry...

Just to stir the pot, I always left the mixtures leaned on my 414 and 421. :D

All I know is the dude flying the beechcraft in the garmin press release needs to take a look at his altimeters and make them agree.

He's got one set to 30.08, another to 30.02 and another to 30.10, and the one in the upper right doesn't even have the right altitude on the numbers, though the needle looks right.

He's also on final with mixture leaned.

Oh wait, this was a discussion about the product? Sorry...

Other than re-arranged buttons and a white-on-black screen (vs. green-on-black), what's the difference between a non-WAAS GTX335 and a GTX330ES?

If you already have a GTX330ES, why would you want to spend the money on a new box?

I was being facetious, but the truth is that even though I have the GTX330ES with a WAAS source from the G3X Touch, Garmin (and therefore the FAA) doesn't consider my panel 2020 compliant even though I'm transmitting and receiving ads-b traffic (and receiving Wx.)

My plan was to wait a couple years to see what options arrived or if they'll bless my panel. Now there's another.

Ok, here's a question... Since I have the GDL88 already, would they likely rip that out if I got the GTX345? Or is there something the GDL88 can offer in addition to the GTX345?

On a serious note, I think this is great.

It was gonna cost me at least 8K (equipment only) to upgrade to ADS-B out/in but with this the cost is cut in half.

The GTX345 looks like it includes remote options, wireless gateway through bluetooth and ADS-B out/in.

To do the same previously would have involved a GTX 327, GDL-88 and a Flightstream 210, not to mention all the misc parts.

Now to wait about 3 years until the price comes down a bit more :)

I don't fly a twin or a retract, but 143kt seems fast to have the gear down. Also there are no green gear lights, so he either just cycled it, or he has some troubleshooting to do...

The GDL-88 is also remote mounted in the tail and the installation is expensive and requires another antenna. I don't know yet if this one requires a new antenna (for ADS-B in) - guessing it will - but it shouldn't require ripping out the interior and running wire to the tail.

I don't think the new ones will require an additional antenna. I asked a Garmin dealer if install manuals were out yet and the answer was no.

Ok, here's a question... Since I have the GDL88 already, would they likely rip that out if I got the GTX345? Or is there something the GDL88 can offer in addition to the GTX345?

I think they do exactly the same thing. The only differences are that the GTX345 does bluetooth to a tablet (but so does a GDL-84), and it also replaces the transponder.

If you have a GDL-88, I would not change a thing.

I don't fly a twin or a retract, but 143kt seems fast to have the gear down. Also there are no green gear lights, so he either just cycled it, or he has some troubleshooting to do...

The engine monitor is dead.

I don't fly a twin or a retract, but 143kt seems fast to have the gear down.
Not really. When I am approaching the airport in the Baron, I'm usually dropping the gear as I drop below 150 KIAS. In most Barons, Vle/Vlo is usually a little above 150.

I think the GTX345 will meet my needs nicely. I'd like to see then make a slightly stripped down version for less that's only 987MHz for below 18,000ft experimental and LSA airplanes. But that's kind of nitpicking.

What else do you have in the airplane? GTN?

You could remove the panel mounted transponder altogether and get a GTX-345R that replaces it and the GDL-88, if you have a GTN.

Last edited:
What else do you have in the airplane? GTN?

You could remove the panel mounted transponder altogether and get a GTX-345R that replaces it and the GDL-88 with a GTN.

Current Configuration is a GTN750, GTX327, GDL88. So I could combine a GDL88 with a GTX345R and get dual band and have a remote mounted transponder?

Current Configuration is a GTN750, GTX327, GDL88. So I could combine a GDL88 with a GTX345R and get dual band and have a remote mounted transponder?

Ooops, I mean you could remove the 327 & 88 then install a 345R (remote) and get dual band

Last edited:
Not really. When I am approaching the airport in the Baron, I'm usually dropping the gear as I drop below 150 KIAS. In most Barons, Vle/Vlo is usually a little above 150.

Cool, so now he just needs to figure out why he doesn't have three greens. :D

Ooops, I mean you could remove the 327 & 88 then install a 345R (remote) and get dual band

I thought the 88 is dual band...the GDL-84 is, and it's a slightly different version of the same thing.

But yes, if the 88 is not dual band you could do that.

I thought the 88 is dual band...the GDL-84 is, and it's a slightly different version of the same thing.

But yes, if the 88 is not dual band you could do that.

I'm might be confused. Standby

Just installed the 327 and 88 last week. I was hoping there would be a way to combine the GTX345 and GDL88, but it sounds like the GTX345 has everything the GDL88 has. So, resale on a GDL88 probably isn't too good right about now...

Just installed the 327 and 88 last week. I was hoping there would be a way to combine the GTX345 and GDL88, but it sounds like the GTX345 has everything the GDL88 has. So, resale on a GDL88 probably isn't too good right about now...

That's a great setup for the low flyers but with the GTN750 it could be desirable to do the GTX-345R. I'm guessing that it will even bolt into the same location as the 88 if not fit the rack. Maybe a different backplate but all speculation at this point.

I think you would have to check the pricing on the options carefully. If the airplane doesn't have a WAAS GPS source already, then I suspect $3k is a little overly optimistic.

So a GTN650 + this ($4k) gives me:

Moving map, IFR certified WAAS GPS
ADS B in/out with traffic/weather

so like $22K installed for the pair? starts to make those $40K steam guage planes look a lot more approachable.

88 is dual band

Correct, both 978 and 1090 in, but only 978 out. Does anyone know when 1090 out matters? Do you need 1090 to fly int'l to places like the Bahamas?

Cool, so now he just needs to figure out why he doesn't have three greens. :D

If you download the full size image and zoom in, NOTHING on that panel makes sense - completely doctored.

Engine instruments look like everything is running. Garmin display shows a track of 222 while the vertical card compass is pointing 020. Alternator switches are on, but the battery is off. Vacuum gauge shows 4.5" of vacuum, but both vacuum pumps are showing failure. No voltage on the bus or load showing for the alternators. I am sure that there are plenty more discrepancies...

Comparing options of GDL88+FlightStream210 vs. GTX345, I’m still confused.

If I have to add the [$800 list] GPS/WAAS option to the GTX345 in order to send GPS to my iPad, then the GDL88+FS210 would still be quite a bit cheaper. In fact, maybe the GTX345+FS210 is actually an option instead of adding the GPS/WASS option – providing GPS AND bi-direction to my iPad.

I think I’m actually confused on “WAAS source” which might change things. Simple question: If I have a GTX345 basic installed, can it source GPS/WAAS from my 530W, and broadcast GPS to my iPad (along with traffic/WX), without adding anything else? (Then, the only disadvantage vs. GDL88+FS210 is missing iPad bi-directional then – not worth $1000..)

Back