The Garmin Rumor... Now Confirmed

Those who jumped on the GDL88 bandwagon are not too happy I would think ...

yup....this is just the beginning. I expect a few more new boxes to be revealed soon.

Those of us who waited.....will be rewarded.:yes:

Count me in as one who will wait till the last minute to equip. I have no real need to fly in airspace that ADS-B is required in so I will just wait till all the madness has calmed down.

Those who jumped on the GDL88 bandwagon are not too happy I would think ...

Yea, it stings a little, but I have been flying with it for two years so what's that worth? I've enjoyed having it in the system.

My next plane I will def consider this box though. Sounds like an all in one solution for sure.

Finally! That means I won't need an additional box AND another antenna on the bottom. :D

The GTX 345 transponder provides ADS-B In/Out capabilities and is available with and without WAAS for a list price of $5,795 and $4,995.

This is what I paid for GDL88 unit. I have a 530W
GDL 88 $3445
Garmin credit -$200
Garmin rebate -$250
My cost $2995

The variable cost will be the installation. I had recently installed a Garmin 327 and to upgrade to the 330 would also need to change the tray, it's not a slide in replacement. I'm curious to see if this will be a slide in for the 330.

The GTX 345 transponder provides ADS-B In/Out capabilities and is available with and without WAAS for a list price of $5,795 and $4,995.

This is what I paid for GDL88 unit. I have a 530W
GDL 88 $3445
Garmin credit -$200
Garmin rebate -$250
My cost $2995

The variable cost will be the installation. I had recently installed a Garmin 327 and to upgrade to the 330 would also need to change the tray, it's not a slide in replacement. I'm curious to see if this will be a slide in for the 330.

The GDL88 uses a 4 wire Ethernet to communicate with the GTN series. The 330 is RS232 only.

GDL-88 also has a dedicated unswitched audio out to the audio panel, traffic mute button, etc.

I can't wait to get ahold of the wiring diagrams.

Last edited:
To me, it seems as though Garmin did not want to risk losing market share to Appareo, as I think many were suggesting that that was the best upgrade path. Regardless, I think it is probably getting close to time that I upgrade the 1980 Narco stack in my plane; this seems to be a reasonable way to go.

I think waiting till the last minute is not the most efficient, I suspect some time in 2017-2018 will have the best options, but since this appears to fit my needs I will probably adopt a little sooner than that.

Count me in as one who will wait till the last minute to equip. I have no real need to fly in airspace that ADS-B is required in so I will just wait till all the madness has calmed down.

Ditto.

Will start paying attention for real in December, 2019.

I've been advised there will likely be backups in avionics shops if I wait. I can live with that.

It's a sunk cost that delivered real value for me in terms of traffic and weather display on my GTN750.

That's ok if you gained value, but we have a Ryan TCAD in the panel that displays traffic on the 430 and the 496 gives us weather. We would get marginal added capability, so for us it is better to wait.

The GDL-88 and Flightstream packages seemed awfully expensive to me. This looks better than that though not really saving money.

Well, this makes shopping for my first plane a bit easier. Was thinking I wanted something with ADS-B already installed, but if it's just $3K (plus installation) to get it in a new Garmin transponder, that doesn't sound like such a big deal.

If I'm understanding this right, I can buy a plane with an old, ratty transponder, then replace it with this all-in-one box and I'm good to go for 2020 compliance. Is that right?

Well, this makes shopping for my first plane a bit easier. Was thinking I wanted something with ADS-B already installed, but if it's just $3K (plus installation) to get it in a new Garmin transponder, that doesn't sound like such a big deal.

If I'm understanding this right, I can buy a plane with an old, ratty transponder, then replace it with this all-in-one box and I'm good to go for 2020 compliance. Is that right?

Well for a 3K box, you need to have a Waas position source. (e.g. GTN 650/750, GNC 430W/530W) and the 3K box needs to be installed and wired etc. Which means the total cost is going to be more than 3K...But one supposes that if you're buying a plane for not much more than the price of an engine core (not hard to find btw) and wanting to upgrade the avionics in that plane, it might make a reasonable upgrade path to get it all done at once (i.e. GTN 650 + GTX 345)

Looks like it breaks down like this:

ADS-B Out only (GTX335)
No WAAS Receiver $2995
With WAAS Receiver $3795

ADS-B Out & In (GTX 345)

No WAAS Receiver $4,995
With WAAS $5,795

I think you would have to check the pricing on the options carefully. If the airplane doesn't have a WAAS GPS source already, then I suspect $3k is a little overly optimistic.

Ah, I see now. Thought it was too good to be true!

If I don't have a WAAS source already, it would be $3,795 for ADS-B out (and I could use Stratus/Foreflight for ADS-B in). This is probably what I'd do.

And again, if I won't have WAAS already, it would be $5,795 for ADS-B in/out in one box using Garmin Pilot to see the traffic and weather info.

Now am I understanding it right?

And again, if I won't have WAAS already, it would be $5,795 for ADS-B in/out in one box using Garmin Pilot to see the traffic and weather info.

Now am I understanding it right?

That is true, but you should be able to use a portable ADS-B (in) receiver to get the same things. If that's the way you'd go then no need to get the more expensive GTX.

Looks like its supposed to be compatible with Garmin Pilot and Foreflight.

Kind of annoying pricing. The IN/OUT solution costs $2k more than OUT only, but you can get IN from a GDL-39 for under a grand. Why the $1200-1400 premium over their existing IN only product?!?

I think you would have to check the pricing on the options carefully. If the airplane doesn't have a WAAS GPS source already, then I suspect $3k is a little overly optimistic.
Exactly. Plus there is the installation cost.

I'm not worried about any deadline. If it holds I can get by with the restrictions anyway.

So.....if you are replacing a GTX 327 in order to achieve ADS-B out (use Stratus/ForeFlgiht for -In), which is a better option - the GTX 335 or Stratus ESG?

Just think what new item will come out in the next 3 years!!!!

is there an advantage of going with a garmin transponder? I had a KT76A that was crapping out on me, so I went with a KT74 to go with my 430W. Was there any reason I should have gone with a garmin unit? The price difference was definitely noticeable when I compared the two.

is there an advantage of going with a garmin transponder? I had a KT76A that was crapping out on me, so I went with a KT74 to go with my 430W. Was there any reason I should have gone with a garmin unit? The price difference was definitely noticeable when I compared the two.

Now that I have a Garmin 650 I am wondering the same thing. I am leaning toward Garmin now though just to avoid potential compatibility issues with future updates, etc.

NOpe.....if nothing better arrives....I'm doing what you did. :yes:

The devil is in the details. Even though on the surface both products may say they get you ADS-B out/in/or both, each product seems to have limitations and interface differences.

I know there were a lot of people that were upset that the GDL88 would not play with the 795/769 portable GPS

Regardless of the existing avionics configuration, with the GTX 345 customers can wirelessly receive ADS-B traffic and weather, as well as precise GPS position data for use within mobile applications and back-up attitude information from the built-in AHRS via Connext. SVT is enhanced by the AHRS within the transponder, displaying GPS-derived airspeed, altitude and vertical speed overlaid on a rich 3D topographic landscape. Wireless compatibility includes the popular aera 796/795 portable aviation GPS and mobile applications including Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight Mobile. Traffic is transformed within Garmin Pilot, which also leverages exclusive TargetTrend and TerminalTraffic.

It uses a different pin out and has additional connectors for ADS-B In. It is not slide in - slide out. A tray swap and repin is in order.

Anyone want to buy a 1 yr. old GTX330ES and GDL39?~

2020 is still a long ways off as far as electronics are concerned. Unless you want the features these boxes provide right now it might pay to wait.

Just as a point of information, there have been no ADS-B solutions developed yet for whole fleets of larger airplanes.

A GDL-84 does everything the GTX345 does, for a few hundred dollars less.

It's nice that it's a slide in solution, but it's not any cheaper, except maybe a little bit on the install side.

Told ya so

Never understood early adopters, especially when it comes to anything with a circuit board.

2020 is still a long ways off as far as electronics are concerned. Unless you want the features these boxes provide right now it might pay to wait.

Very true. Personally, I am willing to pay an extra thousand or so now vs 4 years from now to have full ADS-B traffic in the VFR only biplane that has a lot of blind spots.

I am not as concerned about upgrading an airplane I fly almost solely IFR.

Just as a point of information, there have been no ADS-B solutions developed yet for whole fleets of larger airplanes.

Newer aircraft are getting it via Service bulletins working with the airplane and avionics manufacturers. Most of these are by swapping the GPS receivers to get the appropriate position data, and by replacing the transponders. Some of these also need the radio tuning units modified.

It seems most are getting that done in conjunction with the TCAS 7.1 upgrade.

Older aircraft may not want to cough up the money to modify both GPS receivers and several STCs are in work and many released to add an additional GPS receiver that feeds data to a newer transponder.

FANS-1/A (+) is substantially different than what the average piston driver is looking at.

I suspect avionics installers are going to get nothing but busier as the decline approaches, and I doubt the FAA will delay its implementation. If you have to fly through controlled airspace you may find yourself going out of your way to stay out of said airspace if you wait around.

I suspect avionics installers are going to get nothing but busier as the decline approaches, and I doubt the FAA will delay its implementation. If you have to fly through controlled airspace you may find yourself going out of your way to stay out of said airspace if you wait around.

Its actually quite busy at my employer equipping airplanes as folks flying internationally are getting calls from aviation authorities of other countries that they pass over.

Back