The 182 is done.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
11 years in storage, a freshly overhauled PPonk 265 that was installed but never started, Today I signed off the annual complete, 4 new seat tracks, 3 new tires and tubes, 2 new brake disks, 1 new ELT, De-preserve the engine, and it runs like a new one. washed it and it looks new.

Attachments

• Oo4KdxFGTV+hKCRsGwF9Rg.jpg
    Oo4KdxFGTV+hKCRsGwF9Rg.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 235
  • D%HCr9dpTCuUL2YqsbsilQ.jpg
    D%HCr9dpTCuUL2YqsbsilQ.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 242
  • GTq7inmJQceoCs%LHz9prQ.jpg
    GTq7inmJQceoCs%LHz9prQ.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 241
11 years in storage, a freshly overhauled PPonk 265 that was installed but never started, Today I signed off the annual complete, 4 new seat tracks, 3 new tires and tubes, 2 new brake disks, 1 new ELT, De-preserve the engine, and it runs like a new one. washed it and it looks new.

Buuuuut POA told me any plane that doesn’t fly all the time turns to a pile of rust... but also don’t buy high time planes ;)

Good job getting her out of bed and back in the air Tom!

Buuuuut POA told me any plane that doesn’t fly all the time turns to a pile of rust... but also don’t buy high time planes ;)

High time ?? no. 1693.7 TT. 0 since major.

He's saying that people say if a plane has sat for an extended period of time, or has flown a whole lot for it's age, it's no good. That's the general consensus from people that don't know any better.

Yeah this one isa pile of rust. :). it did show some under the tracks we took care of it. tube was very clean

Attachments

• TvUGPW6SSVCOdH2n9ZypGA.jpg
    TvUGPW6SSVCOdH2n9ZypGA.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 154
  • zgoChbW9RjmZaZ9W3hv5lg.jpg
    zgoChbW9RjmZaZ9W3hv5lg.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 150
He's saying that people say if a plane has sat for an extended period of time, or has flown a whole lot for it's age, it's no good. That's the general consensus from people that don't know any better.

There are exceptions.

P model, you say? That would mean about 50 hours per year for 30 years before it was pickled. That owner sure didn't fly much.

BTW, I just realized that makes a pretty good tongue twister: Say "Pickled PPonk P model plane" 5 times fast. :)

That's a really nice looking airplane. The low airframe hours and the zero time engine make it a one of a kind.

You're wasting your time. Some people are just argumentative... even when you say nice things about them.

Nice.. What was the sale price? Did you go with the ACK E-04?

I'd love to fly in that plane, for a fact. Bet she's a runner!

Good looking plane. Bet she climbs like a bat out of hell!

Nice job, Tom! Keep up the good work!

That's a really nice looking airplane. The low airframe hours and the zero time engine make it a one of a kind.
Once in a while you get to pick a cherry, This one was turned on to me by another customer, Friend of a friend sorta. I was impressed with how nice the aircraft was and took the job.

I love that you bring dead airplanes back to life. I can't imagine a more worthwhile pursuit.
Some times it works, but there are times we end up scrapping them.
When you are buying barn finds you really must know what you are looking at. I understood what James331 was saying, because most barn found aircraft are junk. the reputation is well founded.

Beautiful bird

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Buuuuut POA told me any plane that doesn’t fly all the time turns to a pile of rust!

Not if it was stored and pickled properly. If it was sitting untouched out on a ramp for 11 years. Wouldn’t touch it.

Looks like new paint. Guessing it was a good wash and buff job?
No, it's just good old Dupont Imron that has been protected well. It was re-painted, I didn't bother to look when. and no longer have the books here.

Thanks for posting, Tom. It's great to read stories like this from someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

Who PPonk’s the engine and doesn’t fly it!?!

Who PPonk’s the engine and doesn’t fly it!?!
Some one with higher priorities, like defeating Cancer, getting their medical back, Simple stuff like that.

The principal user of this aircraft was not the owner, When they stopped using the 182, it simply got put away.

Back