Texas set to pass open carry ..

I've seen people open carry in Ohio quite a few times. Everyday people at that, not a protest. And ya know what. Nobody looked at them twice. I'm all for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ope ncarry a lot here in Columbus. I started about 2 years ago. I told a friend I had started conceladed carrying and was scared to open carry. he suggested open carry in a Wal-0Mart for the first time. Turns out, no one even notices. Too busy shopping and in their own worlds.

Ohio has had open carry since the Pilgrims came over the pond. or Before. lol There have been no real problems here with it that I am aware of.

Welcome aboard Texas. better late than never.

Next step, Constitutional Carry.

David

I was living in Oklahoma a few years ago when they passed their open carry. All the same arguments of guys trying to show off their penis extensions and scaring all the "normal" people were made. In my two years after the law passed I did not see one single person open carrying.

I'm all for it. Now I don't get in trouble if it's concealed and my shirt tail pulls up, plus I can dress MUCH more comfortably when it's 10,000* outside this summer and still carry.

I've seen people open carry in Ohio quite a few times. Everyday people at that, not a protest. And ya know what. Nobody looked at them twice. I'm all for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard that given how connected everyone is now, when people see a CC-sized holster they usually think it's a cell phone instead of leaping to the OC conclusion.

Plus with OC, you can avoid the idjits who think "Mexican carry" is fine-and-dandy.

Last edited:
Georgia has had open carry for as long as I can remember. I just moved to Texas and couldn't believe open carry was not available here. As of 6 months ago, I don't recall any issues with Open Carry in Georgia. It's no big deal.

I'm sure California will follow soon.

One of the advantages of our Constitution (especially the Tenth Amendment) is that individual states can pass laws like this and other states can check in a few years to see if there is an advantage or disadvantage to the laws. If these laws prove effective, then other states can follow suit. If not, then other states can try something different.

TX is at the tail end of this. OC is legal in places like VA and for the most part nobody cares.

It's not happening and I'm not worried about it. I haven't seen many signs going up over the last two years that the open carry movement has been active here in Texas.

You have a lot more trust in the carefree attitude of liberals and both the media and multiple corporations they control. The grocery store within walking distance from my business is Sprout's. They have a nice organic selection. When I want to go get a quick lunch I walk over there, but they have a 30.06 sign. So I either have to disarm or get in my car and drive somewhere else. So if any (unlicensed) loon wants to go hold up (or heaven forbid shoot up) a place, then hey head right over there. All of us licensed guys who keep our noses clean and get fingerprinted can now no longer defend neither ourselves nor the pot smoking produce boy who knows no better.

Once this law goes into effect I think suddenly it will receive lots of media attention, and no good can come of that. I believe in the saying "Walk softly and carry a big stick." I truly hope you are right RyanShort1, but I fear you are being very optimistic.

I'm sure I will want to remain concealed when in town, but OC will be handy for around our place. Or not. Whatever I want. It's country. :wink2:

I don't think it's going to be a big deal like others have said.

My eldery mom said it best:

What is wrong with this country? Suddenly it is ok to tote a gun and kiss someone of the same sex in public...

Tired of the left and the right smoking so much smack....

I'm sure I will want to remain concealed when in town, but OC will be handy for around our place. Or not. Whatever I want. It's country. :wink2:

I don't think it's going to be a big deal like others have said.
You can already OC (or CC of course) on your property and any property you have the consent of the owner for.

You have a lot more trust in the carefree attitude of liberals and both the media and multiple corporations they control. The grocery store within walking distance from my business is Sprout's. They have a nice organic selection. When I want to go get a quick lunch I walk over there, but they have a 30.06 sign. So I either have to disarm or get in my car and drive somewhere else. So if any (unlicensed) loon wants to go hold up (or heaven forbid shoot up) a place, then hey head right over there. All of us licensed guys who keep our noses clean and get fingerprinted can now no longer defend neither ourselves nor the pot smoking produce boy who knows no better.

Once this law goes into effect I think suddenly it will receive lots of media attention, and no good can come of that. I believe in the saying "Walk softly and carry a big stick." I truly hope you are right RyanShort1, but I fear you are being very optimistic.
Sprouts has always been that way. Dislike that because I would otherwise shop there, but oh well. Krogers has allegedly gotten a jump in profits since they refused to ban open carriers in their stores.
Most of the rhetoric I've seen like what you've said above has come from CHL peeps and instructors who have convinced themselves that concealed is better. I used to be that way until I was visiting New Mexico about three years ago.
You aren't going to see a significant rise in madness because the guys who would engage in stupidity are already doing so and even some of them have learned and gotten smarter like the guys in the DFW area.
Down in Austin, the OC guys with Lone Star Gun Rights don't even get police shadows anymore because they have that good of a reputation with the local businesses and police.

Our local McCaysville Gun and Drug posts what I guess is the "anti-30.06" sign:

FirearmsWelcome3x4.jpg

Gotta love it...

1395984_639459292764882_1982975862_n.jpg

Yeah, that's pretty stupid.
I didn't realize if you stretch or something and expose it, you can get dinged for it.
That is petty.
You can't. It's not an offence unless you intentionally expose it. That was made even more clear two years ago.

I'm all about the second amendment. I think open carry should be legal. But in the practical, unintended consequences sense, I am afraid this will be a bad thing.

The crazy open carry "activists" who carry around their penises in holsters are going to **** this up badly, and we will wind up with many more signs at businesses. These guys have already convinced several large chains that were at least neutral on carrying, to come out with statements against it. My prediction is we will see more of it.

There are already many more 30.06 signs up than there were 5 years ago, and at least some of them are as a result of dumb CHLs "educating" property owners about non compliant signs. :rolleyes:

Since when is carrying a gun not legal? Carry a concealed gun has long been against the law unless properly certified but carrying one in plain sight isn't breaking any laws in any places I spend time.

You can't. It's not an offence unless you intentionally expose it. That was made even more clear two years ago.

I'm all about the second amendment. I think open carry should be legal. But in the practical, unintended consequences sense, I am afraid this will be a bad thing.

The crazy open carry "activists" who carry around their penises in holsters are going to **** this up badly, and we will wind up with many more signs at businesses. These guys have already convinced several large chains that were at least neutral on carrying, to come out with statements against it. My prediction is we will see more of it.

There are already many more 30.06 signs up than there were 5 years ago, and at least some of them are as a result of dumb CHLs "educating" property owners about non compliant signs. :rolleyes:
Honestly, the crazy folks have been pretty quiet lately. Not much stink from them even over in Arlington. The Bloomberg activists mainly had success coercing the large chains to come out with the statements because of other pressures. They have had a lot of failure lately with Kroger standing up to them as well as other places. Those predicting more of it haven't really looked at places like New Mexico next door and other states where it is legal. It's just not the drama everyone has been making it out to be here in Texas.

You also have to be a concealed carry licensee to also open carry with this new law...I think there is about 140K people which is less than 5% that can legally strap on when signed.

Alabama has had open carry since 1842. A few years ago they passed a law stating it was legal. Also, Mississippi passed one. There has been no mass killings because of it.

The only change was a bunch of stores putting signs stating no open carry.

As I understand it, the bill has not been reconciled to final form yet. It sounds as though it will require some type of permit, but not necessarily the same permit as for concealed carry.

Here in mississippi open carry is legal with no permit required. A permit is required for concealed carry unless you are female in which case you can conceal in a purse with no permit.

With that said I have never ever ever seen anyone open carry ever. Well except cops but that's it. I don't think most law abiding gun carriers want to deal with open carry because you going to have those uneducated people growing a fit and calling the cops and what not when they see the gun.

And like posted above, no mass killings in recent times here. Seems like most of the mass killings are in states with strict gun control laws. So what does that tell you. Heck now a days im more scared of a cop flipping out than a criminal.

The only change was a bunch of stores putting signs stating no open carry.

We have a few stores that put up no guns allowed signs. But now we have what is called enhanced carry in mississippi and that allows you to conceal carry in places that even say no guns allowed. Have to take a course to get it. So if I see the sign I go in anyway now, hey conceal is concealed. How many criminals walk around with concealed guns making there pants sag...exactly.

I've yet to see anyone carrying openly in Vermont either, but it's perfectly legal. But for that matter, so is concealed carry. No permit required. I doubt anyone is going to scream for the police if they see someone with a gun, the gun laws here seem to be pretty well known.

Not sure why open carry is rare, tbh. Maybe because it's less convenient than carrying in your purse or handbag, and most people who have an interest in carrying go through the CCW process (at least, where it's needed)?

I am a Texan with my concealed permit, and am constantly concerned about my piece printing. So not having to worry about someone seeing a hint of a shadow would be nice. Though if anyone does ask me about it, I will simply say that it is my colostomy bag and give them a disgusted stare. :eek:

However, if just a few of us start openly carrying, the anti-gun nuts are going to go crazy. Many more businesses are going to be pressured to put up 30.06 signs. The end result will be that responsible licensed carry guys will be even more restricted, not less so.
There is nothing in the verbiage of that sign that prohibits entry of the store while openly carrying.

I see your super blackhawk..

You can already OC (or CC of course) on your property and any property you have the consent of the owner for.

Affirmative but in our case a public highway passes through our place that we cross every day and technically for that brief moment you are on public property.

Granted, it's Texas and it ain't gonna happen where we live, but lawfully, running across the highway if something happens, or just at that moment a cop is passing by, he could cite you for OC was what I was dreaming up. If OC passes, we won't have to be concerned so much about that or a motorist freaking out and calling it in.

It still requires you posses a CCW in order to OC, so it remains silly conjecture either way you cut it. In our society of thousands of laws, you break the law in some form or fashion every day without even knowing such a law exists. So we just deal with it. :confused::rolleyes:

Im all for other people open carrying. It give the bad guys someone else to identify and shoot at while I hit em from behind with my CC.

I agree that it just causes more drama , at least at first when everybody will strap em on just because they can.

I'm sure California will follow soon.

Well ther WAS some talk of allowing children to eat pop tarts even if they could be chewed into the shape of a make believe gun, sometimes...

Re: I see your super blackhawk..

Affirmative but in our case a public highway passes through our place that we cross every day and technically for that brief moment you are on public property.

Throw a rag over it when you hop in the truck lol... Until Jan 1 anyways :-D

Re: I see your super blackhawk..

Granted, it's Texas and it ain't gonna happen where we live, but lawfully, running across the highway if something happens, or just at that moment a cop is passing by, he could cite you for OC was what I was dreaming up. If OC passes, we won't have to be concerned so much about that or a motorist freaking out and calling it in.

It still requires you posses a CCW in order to OC, so it remains silly conjecture either way you cut it. In our society of thousands of laws, you break the law in some form or fashion every day without even knowing such a law exists. So we just deal with it. :confused::rolleyes:
There is a traveling loophole that would cover your scenario.

As I understand it, the bill has not been reconciled to final form yet. It sounds as though it will require some type of permit, but not necessarily the same permit as for concealed carry.
No, the bill is for CHL holders. We have been pushing for Constitutional Carru, which would be way more in line with the Texas Constitution's clear language that "every citizen shall have the right" but the Legislature isn't ready for it it seems, and shut down the attempts of one brave Representative to add a Constitutionally correct amendment allowing a way for non licensees to exercise their rights. Lots of RINOs here who ignored the Texas Republican platform which makes Constitutional Carry a legislative priority.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/1...andguns-seen-as-win-for-gun-rights-activists/

Open carry passes the house 96-35. The guv is on-board with it so no veto expected there.

I think it's going to fly this time y'all. :wink2:

You will still need a CCW permit.

Wondered when you guys would get back to normal. We've always had that here and it's an utter yawner to see someone open carrying.

Bryan's post that there will be drama cracked me up. Can't Texans do anything without unnecessary drama? LOL.

There is a traveling loophole that would cover your scenario.

You guys are lucky in TX. In CA, you can't even carry in your own house/yard if the door/gate is not locked.

And if you have a cased, unloaded gun in your locked trunk but get stopped within 1000ft of a school- it's a weapons violation unless there is a separate DOJ-approved lock on the gun itself

Last edited:
Back