Tesla Model 3 - Finally.

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by flyingcheesehead, Sep 15, 2021.

1. tspear

tspear En-Route

Display name:
    Timothy
    Not an app. But I had remote start and temp control back in the mid 90s (I think 96) installed in my wife's SUV.
    This is nothing new....

Tim

2. Ted

Ted The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    You Texans, so soft on heat. :D

TCABM likes this.
  3. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    iMooniac
    It depends what mode you have it in - You probably have the A/C on if it's consuming a lot. It can't be 75kWh, that's how much the long range battery holds and that's not a measure of power consumption (which would be kW).

I have mine set so that it only uses the blowers and not the A/C. Between that and the Vent feature (app -> Climate -> bottom right corner) it still stays reasonably close to ambient.

Today, it was warmer in Milwaukee than it was in Houston. :eek: I had my cabin overheat protection on, and it's hot enough that I think the fans kicked on before I even made it into my office and sat down. So, the fans were running all day I'm sure. When I got to work my battery was at 83%, when I left it was at 80%. And remember I have the SR+. So, that's an amount of drain I'm happy with.

Temp in the cabin was still at 109º at the end of the day when I went to turn on the A/C prior to leaving. Weather was sunny and high of 99ºF, temp was still 96ºF when I left. Clicked on the A/C with the app and by the time I walked out the door two minutes later it was at 84ºF and falling rapidly inside.

Another caveat with COHP, Sentry mode, Dog mode, presumably Camp mode, etc... All of that turns off when your battery gets to 20%.

4. Velocity173

Velocity173 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Velocity173
  5. tspear

tspear En-Route

Display name:
    Timothy
  6. Velocity173

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Bolt’s a good buy at $27K. Better looking than the original as well. I’ve been eyeing the Equinox EV for late next year though.

7. tspear

tspear En-Route

Display name:
    Timothy
    I like the Bolt. Older brother had one on lease for a few years. I think the price is right also.
    Still does not make sense yet for us to replace the current car, or get an extra one. This might change in a few years.....

Tim

8. Larry in TN

Larry in TN En-Route

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    Tesla can't keep up with demand so keeps raising the price to limit demand. So far, it hasn't limited it enough.

If someone were to order the same specs I have on my Model 3 LR today, it would cost them $8,000 more than I paid. I ordered late July 2021; delivered mid-September 2021.

9. tspear

tspear En-Route

Display name:
    Timothy
    I wonder when/if Tesla will be impacted by Musk's statements. He has recently increased the number of insulating and degrading comments towards individuals/groups who's political beliefs make them most likely to be purchasers of EVs.

Tim

10. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B
    I’m seeing some impact on EV choice going forward on both a Facebook group and an online forum.

So far I’ve managed to keep his shifting politics and personalty quirks separate from my choice of cars, having already committed to a Tesla. Henry Ford was no angel, either. But at some point, it might eventually effect my choice of EV’s in the future, all things being equal.

As an aside, Friday was a nice day for a drive, and in doing so we joined the Mile High Club and earned our Dragon!

First was lunch in Tellico Plains, TN, then a drive over the majestic Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville, NC, climbing from about 900’ to about a mile high and then down again. Then US129 to the infamous “Tail of the Dragon”. Viewed the “Tree of Shame”, by now in pouring down rain. Conquering the Dragon’s 318 curves in 11 miles wasn’t quite the same thrill in a downpour in a car as it is on a bike in fair weather, but we figure we still qualified for our Dragon decal!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a further aside, we find ourselves much more likely to “just go for a drive”, without worrying about how much gas is costing. Yes, charging at home isn’t free, but it can kind of feel that way, since our electric bills really didn’t seem to go up all that much for the kind of driving we tend to do.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    tspear likes this.
  11. Larry in TN

Larry in TN En-Route

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    I never really thought about people basing their car-buying decision on the politics of company's CEO. I'd probably have a lot of things to clear out of my house if I had that philosophy. (I'm typing this on a Dell. Do I need to find out Mike's position on domestic oil production before I post this? LOL). I suppose there are people who do, though.

I didn't buy my car because I agreed with Musk or wanted to support the green agenda. I bought it because I love the technology and the driving experience is like nothing else I've driven. That it's cleaner and more energy efficient is just a bonus.

charheep likes this.
  12. tspear

tspear En-Route

Display name:
    Timothy
    Larry,

I am seeing more consumers in many things change behavior based on the CEO's in your face comments. When the CEOs quietly advocate for something they believe in, it seems the public does not care.
    However, when the CEO actively insults the customers, I am seeing customers react negatively to the company.

Tim

Whitney likes this.
  13. Velocity173

Display name:
    Velocity173
    At around 1,300 miles per month, I estimate my electric bill went up around $50. Charging at work offsets some of that though.

FastEddieB likes this.
  14. Salty

Salty Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Salty
    I know a woman so nuts she boycotts a restaurant if they sell yuengling beer because they supported a candidate she doesn’t like. I’m sorry, but that’s nothing short of insane to boycott people for not boycotting other people. If she were honest and thorough, she’d have nobody to do business with of any kind.

Larry in TN likes this.
  15. Mason

Mason En-Route

Display name:
    Mase
    Nice dog.

16. Larry in TN

Larry in TN En-Route

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    Musk has Asperger's Syndrome. He often talks without the filter that a person not on the Autism spectrum would have.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the details of what he's saying but I'm guessing that he's made comments that would upset those with liberal viewpoints. I haven't heard the insulting comments to which you refer so don't know what they where.

Musk has done more to promote the green agenda and advance the cause of electric vehicles than anyone else. If that is of importance to someone then why would they be upset about some comments that you don't like? Shouldn't actions and accomplishments override the comments from an autistic person? Do people expect others to agree with them on everything? Musk has people like me, who don't make buying decisions based on how green the product is, buying electric cars. Prior to 2018, that was unthinkable. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Mason and Velocity173 like this.
  17. Cluemeister

Cluemeister Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Cluemeister
    I'm curious as to these insulting comments that Musk has made towards his customers. Are they about Twitter's future? Are the comments about the current administration?

18. Albany Tom

Albany Tom Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Albany Tom
    I don't read about or really care about what he says. But now I'm curious. Are they like Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove? That's what I'm picturing. Or the smoking guy on Saturday Night Live. Signs I'm old.

19. EdFred

EdFred Taxi to Parking

Display name:
    White Chocolate
    He voted R and tweeted that he did. That sent out a collective "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and calls for his head and boycotts among a few people.

20. Larry in TN

Larry in TN En-Route

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    I did some searching today. He's made a number of comments criticizing woke culture and the direction of the democratic party.

This is from one Tweet
    [​IMG]

In a follow up tweet, Musk explained that while he “strongly supported” former US President Barack Obama, his allegiance to the Democratic Party has wavered.

“I strongly supported Obama for President, but today’s Democratic Party has been hijacked by extremists,”

Also,

"The woke mind virus is making Netflix unwatchable"

"Woketopia. Battle for the Moral High Ground in this new game!"

"In the past I voted Democrat, because they were (mostly) the kindness party.
    "But they have become the party of division & hate, so I can no longer support them and will vote Republican.
    "Now, watch their dirty tricks campaign against me unfold … "

Whitney and Albany Tom like this.
  21. tspear

tspear En-Route

Display name:
    Timothy
    And that is the mild stuff. He also states a lot of contradictory things about social media; especially in light of what many followers do in his name.

Tim

22. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    On the other side of the coin I really don’t give a crap where Eddie buys his cars or about his political views.

in general I think every one should just get over themselves. And have some scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch scotch. Yeah.

kayoh190 and Velocity173 like this.
  23. schmookeeg

schmookeeg En-Route

Display name:
    Mike Brannigan
    Finally a platform I can get behind. Let me know when you run so I can vote for you.

Tarheelpilot likes this.
  24. Bob Noel

Bob Noel Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Bob Noel
    Your statement also applies to a LOT of other people....

25. tspear

tspear En-Route

Display name:
    Timothy
    Bob,

Not following.

Tim

26. Velocity173

Display name:
    Velocity173
    I’m back. Tesla really needs to update their waiting rooms. A Keurig with no creamer and a TV that only plays adverts. Very spartan for a company that sells $100K cars.
    41623297-4306-48E1-9F02-1C0811AD5521.jpeg

Whitney likes this.
  27. Velocity173

Display name:
    Velocity173
    I don’t think I’ll be trading in the S anytime soon. Model 3 $78K. Model X $104K. Model X Plaid $141K.

2322C1C0-AD99-455F-AE7C-FC4A99E24537.jpeg 05590415-09B2-4F1A-A875-151D03E9E7D9.jpeg 20137C67-11F1-4CDA-8A94-C11935694AAF.jpeg

Cluemeister likes this.
  28. FastEddieB

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B
    Are those jacked up used prices? Base Model 3 currently $48,490.

Whitney likes this.
  29. Velocity173

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Nope, new cars with window stickers on them. I’m showing on the website that a performance M 3 with FSD goes for $77K.

Nice long range non performance for $67K. White interior looks good.
    5FD4DD97-0569-425F-AFD7-BD43F7E79DA7.jpeg

30. Whitney

Whitney Ejection Handle Pulled

Display name:
    Whitney
    Those prices seemer higher than Canadian pricing.

31. Velocity173

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Love to own an S Plaid but that’s way out of my range. Not sure if care for the yoke either. 295 size tires!

63CA7E4E-EBBA-4A57-B002-7CEA1E5B6C37.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  32. Larry in TN

Larry in TN En-Route

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    That's the performance. You can tell by the red brake calipers.

Model 3 base prices are $46,990, $57,990, and $62.990 for the RWD, Long Range, and Performance.

White interior is $1,000. Red paint $2,000. That's $65,990. To get to $78,000 it must also have the $12,000 full self driving capability.

I paid $1,000 above the base for the LR with blue paint being my only upgrade. Don't think the FSD is worth anywhere near $12,000. I might pay $3,000 but not much more. The included Autopilot does a great job and I wouldn't use the extra FSD features very often.

Whitney and Velocity173 like this.
  33. Velocity173

Display name:
    Velocity173
    It’s funny, I was looking at that red S Plaid when the new owners (couple) came up. Guy asked if I could look it over with him for fit and finish issues. Looked it over for maybe 30 minutes when the sales guy comes up to apologize to tell them it’s not their car. Another red S Plaid drives up and that’s their car. They’re buying a $130K car and the sales guy can’t even get the right one. Tesla service. :(

Whitney likes this.
  34. EdFred

EdFred Taxi to Parking

Display name:
    White Chocolate
    It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Albany Tom and Velocity173 like this.
  35. masloki

masloki Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    DD
    Just ordered my non-Tesla EV. For the premium prices they are asking, there are better equipped cars. You can get a BMW i4 for 60k. And while it may be weaker in the software department, it will be more mature pretty much everywhere else. The biggest turn-off was the lack of a driver display on a premium car. It helps that my fellow taxpayers in the US are throwing in $7500 on the Tesla competitors, and my IL friends are throwing in another $4000.

36. FastEddieB

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B
    Good luck with your new car. It’s not clear - you ordered a BMW i4?

I suppose it’s a matter of taste/preference, but lack of a driver display has been a non-issue over the four months and handful of road trips we’ve taken in our Tesla Model 3. All the driving information one might need or want is just a glance away. Different, but not inferior IMHO.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  37. masloki

masloki Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    DD
    Went the Volvo route - AWD was 10k less than a BMW, and it also doesn’t look like a BMW (good) nor drive like one (sigh).

In a 20k car, a single central display is an economical solve to a worldwide production car. The i4 display is a beautiful inclusion in a 60k car.

38. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    Seems like a reasonable guy expressing his opinion. Some will agree some not. Nothing to boycott.

Isn’t that a hallmark of a representative republic?

Larry in TN likes this.
  39. charheep

charheep Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display name:
    charheep
    I didnt think IL had ANY EV credits. Not even for chargers.

40. charheep

charheep Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display name:
    charheep
    I stand corrected. Used or new EV's purchased after July 1st get 4k rebate.