Terror Air Patrol (CAP)

I am surprised the CAP doesn't have Cadets out there on the perimeter line ,shouting at all the media and spectators to STAY back...:rolleyes:

Is this how you treat all dead people?

That he died in a CAP airplane doesn't necessarily mean he has anything to do with CAP. Especially without release.

Don't be an ***hole. You can bet that the local squadron is thoroughly shocked, whether the pilot has anything to do with them or not.

Is this how you treat all dead people?

That he died in a CAP airplane doesn't necessarily mean he has anything to do with CAP. Especially without release.

Don't be an ***hole. You can bet that the local squadron is thoroughly shocked, whether the pilot has anything to do with them or not.

The DEAD person just destroyed a tax payers aircraft that you and I paid for....

You want me to give them some respect....:no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no:

Looks like someone,took an unauthorized flight,in a CAP airplane. Why else the FBI doing the investigation? Whoever the pilot may he rest in peace.

Yeah, he stole an airplane and wound up a smoking hole. It doesn't even mention if he's a pilot or not, but there is 1 entry in the airman database by that name that has an AK address holding a PP ASEL IR certificate and a medical that is still good for a few months.

Yeah, he stole an airplane and wound up a smoking hole. It doesn't even mention if he's a pilot or not, but there is 1 entry in the airman database by that name that has an AK address holding a PP ASEL IR certificate and a medical that is still good for a few months.

Interesting....

The CAP plane here is in a locked hangar, with a prop lock on it, and the planes doors are locked,,, and it has that CAP approved yoke/ throttle anti theft girdle on the panel........

You would think the thief would have found an easier plane to steal...:rolleyes:

Interesting....

The CAP plane here is in a locked hangar, with a prop lock on it, and the planes doors are locked,,, and it has that CAP approved yoke/ throttle anti theft girdle on the panel........

You would think the thief would have found an easier plane to steal...:rolleyes:

Some people just like a challenge........

FWIW, The pilot was identified as a CAP member, but apparently it was not a sanctioned/authorized flight.

Interesting....

He's a member, so clearly he knew where the keys were and could get access to the airplane. The point is that it was an unauthorized flight, thereby theft regardless. For this guy, it'd be one of the easiest airplanes to steal due to familiarity and membership.

Interesting....

The pilot was a CAP member. I'd suppose he knew where the keys were kept.

Authorities say the pilot of a small plane that crashed into a building in downtown Anchorage, Alaska, was a member of the Civil Air Patrol who wasn't authorized to fly the small aircraft.

A national Civil Air Patrol statement says the pilot was 1st Lt. Doug Demarest, who joined the patrol in 2010.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-small-plane-crashes-alaska-building-35991897

Whoever the pilot may he rest in peace.

Until we hear his motives, I'm not willing to grant him resting peace yet.

One more black stain on GA, and between the Air Force, CAP, and other governmental bodies, this may likely drive more reactionary airport access policies.

The DEAD person just destroyed a tax payers aircraft that you and I paid for....

You want me to give them some respect....:no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no:

And which of those cadets you're disrespecting had anything to do with destroying that aircraft?

Don't be an ***hole.

That web site was interesting. I saw the video loading and decided I just wanted to read so I hit pause. Damn thing popped a little window in the lower corner and cranked up the video anyway.

Kinda touchy , ain't ya ??? ;)

Yes, after seeing what an unrelated death does to those who survive.

I know you don't like CAP, but you've gone overboard. Those cadets are likely in a world of hurt right now, and it's not likely that any of it is their doing. Show some humanity. They did absolutely nothing to you.

Don't be an ***hole.

Yes, after seeing what an unrelated death does to those who survive.

I know you don't like CAP, but you've gone overboard. Those cadets are likely in a world of hurt right now, and it's not likely that any of it is their doing. Show some humanity. They did absolutely nothing to you.

Don't be an ***hole.

Buddy....

I highly respect your ability to stand up for the CAP......

But....

We don't even know if it was a composite unit or senior one with NO Cadets, so there might be NO..:no::no: Cadets in a " world of hurt right now"

And you gloss over the fact the taxpayers are now out of a 300,000$ plane, plus clean up costs, plus repairs to the first building the CAP plane hit, or the second building the CAP hit, or the extensive investigation the FBI will conduct. etc etc......

Will be multi million dollar Oops....:mad2::mad2::mad2:..

I do read your other posts, I commend you in the thread where you will fill the plane for training to get the maximum return on the CAP's dollars..

:cheers:..

Peace sir...

So...his wife worked on the sixth floor of the building he crashed in to.

So if this is true then this was no accident, but sounds like an unsuccessful murder/successful suicide.

Then again, just speculation.

So if this is true then this was no accident, but sounds like an unsuccessful murder/successful suicide.

The early morning crash happened before most businesses opened for the day in the heart of downtown, an area surrounded by offices, hotels and restaurants.
The first building hit houses a law firm, Dorsey & Whitney, where the pilot's wife, Katherine Demarest, is employed as an attorney, said Bryn Vaaler, an attorney and chief marketing officer based at the firm's Minneapolis headquarters. Vaaler said he didn't have any information about the Demarests' marital status. He also didn't know if anyone was in the firm's sixth-floor offices at the time of the crash.

Good news is his estate should have plenty of funds to repay the guv for all their costs from his suicide.....

I have a few issues with CAP but if the reports about it being an unauthorized flight are true; CAP along with its policies, procedures and training was in no way a contributing factor in this. It was the result of a crime. If this guy or anyone had stolen an airplane that belonged to one of you with the same results, should we engage in attacks against you?

Does POA really mean Pathetic Obnoxious A-holes?

I have a few issues with CAP but if the reports about it being an unauthorized flight are true; CAP along with its policies, procedures and training was in no way a contributing factor in this. It was the result of a crime. If this guy or anyone had stolen an airplane that belonged to one of you with the same results, should we engage in attacks against you?

Does POA really mean Pathetic Obnoxious A-holes?

I would NOT let a mentally unstable idiot have complete access to my plane...:no::no:

If the plane came from Merrill Field, it was a composite squadron.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean the pilot was from the same squadron.

I have a few issues with CAP but if the reports about it being an unauthorized flight are true; CAP along with its policies, procedures and training was in no way a contributing factor in this.

That depends a lot on how this member was able to gain access to the aircraft.

I wouldn't say the CAP is completely in the clear here, but the reality is that we simply do not know much yet.

I am surprised the CAP doesn't have Cadets out there on the perimeter line ,shouting at all the media and spectators to STAY back...:rolleyes:

Part of the new core values. What an azz

We don't even know if it was a composite unit or senior one with NO Cadets

According to the AK Wing website, there are no senior squadrons in the Alaska wing. Every squadron is a composite squadron with both seniors and cadets.

The CAP lists their core values as Integrity, Excellence and Respect. Respect is a difficult core value for people today to embrace for some reason. As a core value, it should be neither given nor received, it should be practiced and used. With each use, it becomes easier.

Pilot didn't have a checkout in the airplane...that doesn't mean he didn't know how to fly. There's more to this than it appears.

I would NOT let a mentally unstable idiot have complete access to my plane...:no::no:

Are you sure you would be able to identify such, before anything happened?

That seems to give a whole helluva lot of people trouble.

It's actually not very easy to take away access once it has been given. You also have to maintain access for every authorized pilot in the state. These airplanes do not belong to the squadrons. Ours gets used regularly by Oakland and San Jose, and they rightfully get upset if they can't get at the plane or its equipment at 1AM when an ELT is going off.

Pilot didn't have a checkout in the airplane...that doesn't mean he didn't know how to fly. There's more to this than it appears.

Not sure where you got the checkout part. If true so be it. However, all CAP flights have to be authorized by a Flight Release Officer. It doesn't matter if it's for a Red Cap mission or just a proficiency flight. The PIC is required to get this authorization prior to getting into the airplane. Since the CAP is saying this flight was not sanctioned, I'm guessing that the pilot never called for that release.

I got a Form 5 when I was with this squadron, but I never exercised the privileges afterward. It's been so long now (almost 15 years) that I can't remember how they handled the key situation. When I was with the Florida Wing, you got a key to the plane after you got the Form 5.

You're correct, unauthorized could also mean the flight was not released. In my mind it just meant Form 5. I had a little narrow thinking there.

Except that this happened a little after 6am and apparently no one was in the law office at the time.

He may have intended to kill himself, but it doesn't sound no like he was trying to kill his wife....just maybe make a statement? Dunno.

Buddy....

I highly respect your ability to stand up for the CAP......

But....

We don't even know if it was a composite unit or senior one with NO Cadets, so there might be NO..:no::no: Cadets in a " world of hurt right now"

And you gloss over the fact the taxpayers are now out of a 300,000$ plane, plus clean up costs, plus repairs to the first building the CAP plane hit, or the second building the CAP hit, or the extensive investigation the FBI will conduct. etc etc......

Will be multi million dollar Oops....:mad2::mad2::mad2:..

I do read your other posts, I commend you in the thread where you will fill the plane for training to get the maximum return on the CAP's dollars..

:cheers:..

Peace sir...
CAP can be a hot mess, yeah. . .but the 172s tend to be older, usually P models, somtimes a bit newer, though. Probably not a $300K loss on the airframe. They likely won't replace it new, just delay selling off one - they have a statutory limit on aircraft inventory - I think 550, if I recall accurately.

CAP may get clear, since it appears it may have been stolen.

Except that this happened a little after 6am and apparently no one was in the law office at the time.

He may have intended to kill himself, but it doesn't sound no like he was trying to kill his wife....just maybe make a statement? Dunno.

Also very possible. Might have been undiagnosed mental illness, might be drug induced.

Its the unauthorized part that has me thinking he was up to no good though.

It is all a big puzzle right now.

Also very possible. Might have been undiagnosed mental illness, might be drug induced.

Its the unauthorized part that has me thinking he was up to no good though.

It is all a big puzzle right now.
Hell, it could have even just been a joy ride gone wrong. We unfortunately don't know enough.

For those of us in the CAP this is not going to end well. :(

Back