Terror Air Patrol (CAP)

Please be careful about posting call signs and tail numbers. It's JUST like posting someone's name.

And it's the wrong one. That tail number is registered to an individual in Arizona.

No CAP callsign has that form. They are all four digits, sometimes abbreviated with three if the first is a zero. Don't use any call sign at all if it isn't verbatim. "[CAP aircraft]" will do just fine. And the "CAPFlight" call sign is sometimes still used by ATC, but not by any CAP pilot, for many years.

Details really matter for something like this. Post specific stuff that can be proven wrong, and the pilot in question can just say it didn't happen.

I really hope this isn't a complaint about one incident 20 years ago.

Really?? :rolleyes2:

The G8 - one of the most unconfortable aircraft I've ever flown in (photog in the back seat).

GA8, actually. And oddly enough, there is an FAA identifier for it...wait for it...GA8.

May I suggest modifying the verbiage a wee bit, and telling us at which airport you're landing?

"Podunk traffic, Cessna 12345, left downwind three-two, Podunk"

I teach students to state the airport name at the beginning and end as in the example above. That way if another pilot missed the airport at the beginning hopefully they will hear it at the end. That's the plan anyway. :D

I teach students to state the airport name at the beginning and end as in the example above. That way if another pilot missed the airport at the beginning hopefully they will hear it at the end. That's the plan anyway. :D

I was taught the same, and have been doing it that way for 35 years...

Never had an issue..:no:

I was taught that way and have always assumed it was how everyone was taught. I believe the AIM recommends it as well but I'm too lazy right now to look it up.

It is extremely helpful to use the airport name first and last when operating at an airport that uses the same CTAF as a nearby airport with the same runway numbers. It can be a bit unnerving to be on final only to hear another pilot call final for the same runway if you don't hear the name of a different airport.

... May I suggest modifying the verbiage a wee bit, and telling us at which airport you're landing?

"Podunk traffic, Cessna 12345, left downwind three-two, Podunk" ...
Yup. That's the way I was taught and that's the way I do it. Simple case of typus interruptus caused me to leave it out of the example. I was focused on identifying the airplane by color and type.

A guy can't get away with even a simple mistake around here! :wink2:

Where did you hear that?
It's been in most of the articles. She worked at a law firm on the 6th floor. He initially impacted that building at the 4th floor. It was before 7 am and no one was in the office at the time. After he impacted the first building, the airplane glanced off and struck a second building where the fireball erupted.

Y'all think he stole a plane to fly it into the building in which his wife worked?

That's one way to win an argument I guess.

I've been struggling enough with Season 1 of Fargo. This is even crazier than THAT! I really hope that isn't what happened.

report that just came out shows the guys family says he had a "death wish". They are now saying he committed suicide. So sad a situation there.

report that just came out shows the guys family says he had a "death wish". They are now saying he committed suicide. So sad a situation there.

As much as I don't want to comment that we should be mentally evaluating pilots ...

I know that my CFI and my AME were both charged with assessing my mental state and overall capability during several stages. I suppose it is possible for someone to go from sane to suicidal before a medical expires, and I'm sure it is sad.

As much as I don't want to comment that we should be mentally evaluating pilots ...

I know that my CFI and my AME were both charged with assessing my mental state and overall capability during several stages. I suppose it is possible for someone to go from sane to suicidal before a medical expires, and I'm sure it is sad.
I will say that I knew two pilots who were fairly recent suicides, and even in retrospect, I would not have suspected either one.

Trying to predict human behavior usually fails eventually, even with the sane.

Last edited:
Yep, a left base is different than a right base. Always tell the other airplanes exactly where you are. That's what I was taught.
Same here.
Me: PODUNK Traffic, Bug killer 12345, LEFT downwind,PODUNK. LEFT base, PODUNK, LEFT final... ah crap....

Same here.
Me: PODUNK Traffic, Bug killer 12345, LEFT downwind,PODUNK. LEFT base, PODUNK, LEFT final... ah crap....

Yeah, that left/right final thing is always amusing when I hear it, especially at a single-runway airport, but the other directional designations are necessary. As the AIM says, the purpose of an advisory frequency is to communicate our position and intentions. If we don't say which base, downwind, etc. we're on, the listener doesn't know our position, and thus doesn't know which direction to look.

Yeah, that left/right final thing is always amusing when I hear it, especially at a single-runway airport, but the other directional designations are necessary. As the AIM says, the purpose of an advisory frequency is to communicate our position and intentions. If we don't say which base, downwind, etc. we're on, the listener doesn't know our position, and thus doesn't know which direction to look.

Absolutely, but it does help to include the runway in the calls, even on a single-strip airport. Very few airports truly have only one final. Even HAF last time I was there was using 12, and that's a unicorn. Did an approach in IMC and found a (legal) Decathalon in the pattern.

I agree, it's important to identify which runway is being used.

I will say that I knew two pilots who were fairly recent suicides, and even in retrospect, I would not have suspected either one.

Ouch. Two. Always ugly.

Unfortunately they made a decision as "PIC of their lives" and it's rare that those of us left behind want to accept it.

Same here.

ROFL. I've done that. And worse. Like saying the wrong airport and then trying to correct it with brain lock happening and the mash to mumble still activated. Probably broke the FCC profanity rule a couple of times, too. ;)

Ah, geez, then don't! Not for GA pilots, not until car, truck, bus, boat, RV, mototcycle, and skateboard drivers are"evaluated" first. . .

znot to orevrnt a "problem" that is so low probaility of hurting anyone else. . .

Ah, geez, then don't! Not for GA pilots, not until car, truck, bus, boat, RV, mototcycle, and skateboard drivers are"evaluated" first. . .

znot to orevrnt a "problem" that is so low probaility of hurting anyone else. . .

Didja read the rest of my post?

We're mentally evaluated every time we are in front of a CFI, DPE, and AME. It is already done.

Didja read the rest of my post?

We're mentally evaluated every time we are in front of a CFI, DPE, and AME. It is already done.

Unless your AME is a psychiatrist, psychologist, or other palm reader, the value of that eval is about as meaningful as a III Class medical. My total face time with my AME on our last encounter did not exceed ten minutes.

And if you say the eval is already being done, why mention it as something you'd hesitate to suggest . .?

Unless your AME is a psychiatrist, psychologist, or other palm reader, the value of that eval is about as meaningful as a III Class medical. My total face time with my AME on our last encounter did not exceed ten minutes.

And if you say the eval is already being done, why mention it as something you'd hesitate to suggest . .?

I thought my AME was a kook.

I always leave my hockey mask and chain saw at home when I go to the AME. It seems to help with the psych eval.

When he asked about the bad dreams, I told him about the one where all of the ink blots on the Rorschach test came alive and tried to take over the world but that I was able to save them along with my girl Katniss.

He said that it sounded like a good dream, not a bad one.

I told him that I was naked in the dream and could fly.

He promptly got a look of horror on his face, said that would be a nightmare for the rest of us, signed my medical and told me to get the eff out and not to come back.

I'm good for two years. Just need a new AME.

When he asked about the bad dreams, I told him about the one where all of the ink blots on the Rorschach test came alive and tried to take over the world but that I was able to save them along with my girl Katniss.

He said that it sounded like a good dream, not a bad one.

I told him that I was naked in the dream and could fly.

He promptly got a look of horror on his face, said that would be a nightmare for the rest of us, signed my medical and told me to get the eff out and not to come back.

I'm good for two years. Just need a new AME.

:lol::lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbsup:

We used to get our Air Force flight physicals "en masse" (Reservists); we'd hand carry our records from station-to-station. And swap name tags, based on our particular issues. A good friend took my hearing test; I did someone else's vision, and stood in for another guy with recent sinus surgery.

We used to get our Air Force flight physicals "en masse" (Reservists); we'd hand carry our records from station-to-station. And swap name tags, based on our particular issues. A good friend took my hearing test; I did someone else's vision, and stood in for another guy with recent sinus surgery.

Did anyone volunteer to do someone else's prostate exam?

:lol:

So who took your vision test? Or did the doctor not notice testing you twice? :confused:

So who took your vision test? Or did the doctor not notice testing you twice? :confused:
No doctor invovled for most of the evolution - after doing all the stations, manned by med techs, you got five minutes with the flight surgeon at the conclusion. If the techs noticed, they didn't mention it. . .then again, there were a lot of people to process in one day.

PS
Got a weird EKG result once, and the FS figured out the tech had the leads positioned incorrectly. Didn't bother to re-test; just used his stethoscope and pronounced me sound. It wasn't the Mayo clinic. . .

Back