Taxiing after landing

Star Keeper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Star Keeper
I started my flight training 7 years ago at KJYO and KHEF and after a hiatus I finished at KLEE. I noticed some differences between the airports. At KHEF where I did most of my training I found that after landing and crossing the hold short line we stopped and cleaned up the airplane then called for taxi to the ramp. Here at KLEE there is no stopping after crossing the hold short. You continue on and are given taxi instructions on the fly. I never did get a clear reason for the differences. Any ideas?

Because one behaves differently than the other.

Which is a smartbutt way of saying different airports and sometimes different tower personnel have different procedures.

Now you’re saying: how am I supposed to know?

You don’t. When landing at a controlled field simply follow the direction given.

At KSDM (San Diego) sometimes it’s one way and sometimes another. Follow what you’re told and you’ll be fine.

My home base likes to give taxi instructions during the rollout, especially to planes they know. You're still well within your rights to stop after you cross the hold short line and clean up the plane. I've been at unfamiliar places where they give the machine gun taxi instructions. I pull off the RW, stop, pick up my pencil, and ask for them again. No problem. It's always a good idea to look at the taxi diagram and have an idea of what you might get before you land.

It depends to a very large degree if there is a single controller working both tower and ground. If the tower tells you to contact ground there is most likely two controllers so you should stop and call ground. If tower tells you to remain this frequency and provides taxi instructions then follow those instructions as there is one controller working both.

Controllers spend years, if not their whole career, at a single airport. Pilots fly to different airports all the time. Controllers at a facility will tend to favor particular techniques that may be different from the techniques used at another airport with which the pilot is more familiar. Controllers may believe that their techniques are standard for all airports but that isn't always the case.

Read the AIM about what you are expected to do at towered airports. That will work everywhere. If that tower wants you to do something differently then they'll tell you.

It depends to a very large degree if there is a single controller working both tower and ground. If the tower tells you to contact ground there is most likely two controllers so you should stop and call ground. If tower tells you to remain this frequency and provides taxi instructions then follow those instructions as there is one controller working both.
Ah that makes sense. KLEE is typically operated by 1 controller working both freqs. KHEF almost always had two or more working the tower.

I frequently hear, during rollout on runway, "exit via Alpha, cleared to ramp/parking/hangers, monitor ground". Of course, I normally let tower know my parking if there are breaks on the frequency.

FYI, it's "taxiing" or "taxying". (I don't like "taxying" as it's not in all the online dictionaries.)

My $0.02. The decision to provide taxi instructions as you roll out or just dash across the dashed line is the controller’s.

The decision on whether you stop to clean up and reset the cockpit is yours.

Two different decision points.

What I would advise, though, is don’t clean up on the roll. If you are going to reset flaps or mixture etc stop first. Eyes on what you are touching on the panel. Then resume taxiing.

It will help you as you move to more complex aircraft (you don’t want to raise the gear while taxiing).

I frequently hear, during rollout on runway, "exit via Alpha, cleared to ramp/parking/hangers, monitor ground". Of course, I normally let tower know my parking if there are breaks on the frequency.

FYI, it's "taxiing" or "taxying". (I don't like "taxying" as it's not in all the online dictionaries.)
Lol. You correct his spelling of taxiing but you typed hanger when you should have used hangar.

Lol. You correct his spelling of taxiing but you typed hanger when you should have used hangar.
Actually, the word taxiing has always been a strange word that many are not sure of. I thought that the way the subject was spelled was very funny, but instead of making some off the wall snide comment about it, I thought I would be nice and just mention the unusual spelling of taxiing. I was trying to be nice (for once). The use of hanger vs hangar was just my normal inability to spell.

Fwiw...

Taxiing is what you do in an airplane on the ground.

Taxing is what the city of Chicago does to you.

After you land at ORD, you're taxiing to taxing.
Us Illini sure are a jaded bunch.

This is one thing where the book says “do A”, but you are expected (and will gum things up if you don’t) to “do B”.

Truly, at times we need to get rid of some of the rigidness of the letter of the law.

I always taxi after landing

I'm fairly new to this flying thing. Its always a hope that I taxi after each landing but there are lots of NTSB reports showing more veteran pilots sometimes don't. Maybe thats part of a more advanced training class.

OED puts taxiing as the official spelling and taxying as an acceptable alternative. Both have pretty much been around as long as aviation (dating back to the 1910-s.).

But the AIM says absent explicit instructions to contrary, exit the runway at the first taxiway (i.e., not another runway), cross the hold line, and stop until you get further instruction. If you've been told to continue on to parking or whatever, then you don't need to stop, try not to get in anybody's way.

I frequently hear, during rollout on runway, "exit via Alpha, cleared to ramp/parking/hangers, monitor ground".

I hope the controller didn't say that. It is drilled into every controller's noggin that the word "cleared" is used only for take off and landing clearances OR while working clearance delivery in reading a clearance.

Yep, and these days aren't they obliged to give you a route even if you don't need one.

I'm fairly new to this flying thing. Its always a hope that I taxi after each landing but there are lots of NTSB reports showing more veteran pilots sometimes don't. Maybe thats part of a more advanced training class.
Some don't taxi after landing. Newbies and veterans alike. Then they learn how much propellers and engine teardowns cost.:goofy:

I hope the controller didn't say that. It is drilled into every controller's noggin that the word "cleared" is used only for take off and landing clearances OR while working clearance delivery in reading a clearance.
Yeah, I don’t ever recall hearing “cleared” in that context. It is usually “taxi”.

To add to my previous post above, what I have typically heard is something along the lines of:
“N12345 right at Alpha, taxi to parking, monitor ground". And maybe with ground frequency added in.

I prefer taxiing after landing.

I tried taxiing before landing once and it didn't work out so well...

I've been tempted to request hover taxi (in the Navion) at IAD from time to time.

There was an EAA flying at HEF one day. We live just off IAD but Margy and I had a discussion as to whether we were going to fly or drive. Finally, I decided to fly and we got into the plane at Hawthorne (now Landmark) and were given a taxi to 30 for departure. After the first mile of taxi, my wife asked if we were driving or flying to HEF.

Back