Tammie Jo Shults

Would "Goose" have been better?

Mother Goose even. :)

“You misspelled Goose boys, that’s Goose with two O’s...” :)

But anyway... what a moron that guy was asking for a callsign like that! Oops! Oh wait, I mean...

Crap. Perma-ban for me. :) :) :)

It will be nice when people don't make a big deal about a pilot being female...
I disagree. In a bit of hopeful self empowerment I told my female students that I thought they should become pilots. I told them they were highly intelligent, would succeed at whatever they did, and would be what the economists call "high value individuals". The next day I got to tell them that the pilot who landed that stricken airliner with nerves of steel was indeed a woman.

Women have succeeded wildly in many of the endeavors with which I am associated. They used to be a rarity in medical school, now they are the majority. They are the majority in many graduate schools as well. Indeed, aviation is one of the very few endeavors in which women have not gained. It makes no sense, since just about every study that has examined the issue has confirmed that women make better pilots for a plethora of reasons.

For me I really like the empowerment, I am in a position of power and authority and I am telling them they can and will succeed. I do like to give whatever positive reinforcement I can.

I disagree. In a bit of hopeful self empowerment I told my female students that I thought they should become pilots. I told them they were highly intelligent, would succeed at whatever they did, and would be what the economists call "high value individuals". The next day I got to tell them that the pilot who landed that stricken airliner with nerves of steel was indeed a woman.

Women have succeeded wildly in many of the endeavors with which I am associated. They used to be a rarity in medical school, now they are the majority. They are the majority in many graduate schools as well. Indeed, aviation is one of the very few endeavors in which women have not gained. It makes no sense, since just about every study that has examined the issue has confirmed that women make better pilots for a plethora of reasons.

For me I really like the empowerment, I am in a position of power and authority and I am telling them they can and will succeed. I do like to give whatever positive reinforcement I can.
Why do you think they need self-empowerment? This is 2018. Women should already know that they can become pilots, if that's what they want to do. Nothing wrong with positive reinforcement, but why single out women?

Well you did look cute in uniform...

(Banhammer in 3,2...)
Is "cute" a personal attack? LOL.

It took me a long time to not feel that I was dressing up for Halloween when I wore a uniform.

You essentially just said you enjoy “mansplaining”. LOL.

Have any cites on those studies? I’d like to read them. Seriously.

Is "cute" a personal attack? LOL.

It took me a long time to not feel that I was dressing up for Halloween when I wore a uniform.
Well I didn’t say ‘scary cute’

I think most women pilots, especially Tammie Jo, don’t want the attention anyway. The ones that I’ve flown with in the military and civilian that crave the attention, generally aren’t very good and don’t last long as a career.

I am a white male pilot and I do not want any attention for doing anything out of the normal while flying...

It makes no sense, since just about every study that has examined the issue has confirmed that women make better pilots for a plethora of reasons.
Maybe women are either immune to SJS or just smart enough to recognize the BS pilots go through in hopes of becoming professional pilots and they say ‘not interested’

That’s nonsense. Women have been flying since the early days of aviation. There have been numerous famous female pilots. The first Powder Puff Derby in 1929 proved that women can fly. The WASPs proved that women can fly. The 99s is one of the more famous aviation organizations. The first female airline pilot was in 1973. Yes that was far after men but still 45 years ago. How is any of that considered recently? The fact that women appear to be underrepresented on a per capita basis is probably just due to flying not appealing to them and not due to any misogynistic efforts to deny them access to the cockpit. In fact, the opposite is actually the case as there are many gender specific outreach programs that seek to draw young girls into aviation. These programs have had moderate success at best.
Emily Howell Warner, who lives here in Colorado, and is a really great lady. Her original Frontier Airlines uniform (original Frontier) is on display at Wings Museum.

just about every study that has examined the issue has confirmed that women make better pilots for a plethora of reasons.
Not to take anything away from women, but I never heard of one of those studies. I'd like to hear more about it. Is that supposed to be a general conclusion, in that most women make better pilots than most men, or is it that the best women pilots are better than the best men pilots, or does it involve any particular type of flying (fighter pilot, helicopter pilot, cargo plane pilot, aerial refueling pilot?

I have a hard time believing that statement, but I am willing to listen to evidence.

Not to take anything away from women, but I never heard of one of those studies. I'd like to hear more about it. Is that supposed to be a general conclusion, in that most women make better pilots than most men, or is it that the best women pilots are better than the best men pilots, or does it involve any particular type of flying (fighter pilot, helicopter pilot, cargo plane pilot, aerial refueling pilot?

I have a hard time believing that statement, but I am willing to listen to evidence.

Proven. The girls flew circles around us in the Army. ;)

http://time.com/8404/army-women-helicopter-pilots/

When I was hired at a regional in '89 my airline had about a dozen female Captains out of 430 pilots. When I retired in 2013 we had probably a hundred or two out of 1700 pilots. Still a small prcentage but female pilots are just as common now as men are.

Wow the op ,had two posts to the forum,and took the heat immediately,what do they say about the heat in the kitchen?

I am a white male pilot and I do not want any attention for doing anything out of the normal while flying...
I am a white male pilot and I don't want to have to do anything out of the normal that would make that kind of attention a possibility.

Wow the op ,had two posts to the forum,and took the heat immediately,what do they say about the heat in the kitchen?
It’s usually found in the oven, stove, crock pot, or fryer?

Call signs are mostly based on your name until you "do something".

Superglide. What a great call sign.

Glad to see you did something.

Too generic and as such lacked the specificity that was implied by the request which was in response to a comment regarding someone’s alleged cute appearance in uniform.
You wanted pics, you got pics so shaddup!

I have only run across a few pilots in 19 years of professional aviation experience that had any negative opinions towards female pilots. When I was growing up in a small southern agricultural community the idea of women being the equal to men in most any profession was generally accepted. In fact when I was 16 and shopping around for an instructor the one I chose to fly with was a woman. She was intelligent, hard working, professional and a damn good instructor. I find the mindset of people feeling like they need to empower a young woman insulting to the young woman. Who do you think you are to insist that the lack of a penis requires extra special encouragement. There are plenty of young adults that do need that type of encouragement but it has nothing to do with gender. Social and economic circumstances are much more impactful.

You wanted pics, you got pics so shaddup!

Actually you provided a google search for the term "pics", you did not actually add pics to the thread which is the meaning of this: :needpics:.

So basically, you failed. Of course, you are probably used to that.

newguy said:
Greetings,
New here, looking for info.
Have searched for the Navy callsign for Lt. Cmdr. Shults (retired).
Can't find it.
I thought there was a list of Naval aviator callsigns somewhere.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Superglide

Her callsign was Gulfstream Girl. You can find her on Facebook.

Good luck!!

Her callsign was Gulfstream Girl. You can find her on Facebook.

Good luck!!

You mean The Pilot Formerly Known as Gulfstream Girl. She know just goes by P Diddy.

Back