Talk me out of a Cadillac CTS-V ? ...

I think the new Corvettes are fantastic cars but I don't care for the visibility from the driver's seat. If I buy a sporty car today it's a Lexus RC F. That's a nice ride. Wife drives an Audi Q5. What a sleeper little car. Nimble and quick. And room for the dog. When I take a step back the answer for me is always the same. I'm a pickup truck guy.

Me too.

Cadillac once put their badge on a chevy cavalier. There is no getting past that.

ROFLMAO. God those were ugly.

Next truck will have the 6.7L Cummins. But that probably won't be for a long long time since it'll be years and years before I kill the 5.9L.

But if you buy a pair, then you have to build a race track on your land and invite people over to race.:D Let me know when the track is open.;)

I love people, but hate crowds.

There has to be an 'ism' for that ... :confused:

Even if I got out of that old farm truck wearing Armani, it would be queer and not register logically.

The wealthiest man I've personally met (~$50M) wears jeans, a jeans jacket, and drives an old beat Ford pickup. Has nice planes, though.

Most of the fancy BMWs, MBs, etc., I see in the church parking lot on Sunday morning are owned by normal folks mortgaged up to their eyeballs.

Can't judge a book by the cover. I once read an article snippet in a car magazine, the car brand most owned by people with $1M assets or more? Ford.

BTW, enjoy that CTS-V, it is a great bargain compared to the Germans.

Lucas is often referred to as "The Prince of Darkness".

lucasswitch.jpg

I'll let y'all know if I get it.

I mainly started the thread to see if a bunch of people said ... Oh Hell No! it's a piece of crap! ... and I've got my answer.

The rest of the talk has been penis measuring and envious psychobabble, so maybe I'll go buy two of the mother****ers. :D:rockon:
Post pics when you get one! :D

What can you buy a 5 year old Holden SS Ute for now? Hey Mike, got any late model GTO dashboards and steering racks?

You can buy a brand new Chevy SS for the same as a nice used CTS-V. Throw some money at the Holden kit and you've got a sexy sports sedan. Mmmmmmm Holden parts. :yesnod:

You can buy a brand new Chevy SS

Is the current SS RWD? If so that would be a nice car. BUT, if you realty want a bad ass American 4-door car, you want the Hellcat Charger.

You can buy a brand new Chevy SS for the same as a nice used CTS-V. Throw some money at the Holden kit and you've got a sexy sports sedan. Mmmmmmm Holden parts. :yesnod:

I'd love to have an SS, and if I were ever to consider buying a new car again (not likely), the SS would be short-listed.

I have no qualms about calling it, "Chevrolet," either. Still understand tipping the hat to its Holden roots. Sad that Holden (as a manufacturing entity) is going away; a lot of good history there...

Is the current SS RWD? If so that would be a nice car. BUT, if you realty want a bad ass American 4-door car, you want the Hellcat Charger.
Yep! I hear this year you'll be able to buy a 6 speed manual too. I hope that's true!
I'd love to have an SS, and if I were ever to consider buying a new car again (not likely), the SS would be short-listed.

I have no qualms about calling it, "Chevrolet," either. Still understand tipping the hat to its Holden roots. Sad that Holden (as a manufacturing entity) is going away; a lot of good history there...

I will be sad to see Holden go. I had a 2005 GTO, my fiance has a 2004 GTO that he's had for 6 or 7 years. My roommate has an 04 GTO... at one point we had 4 GTOs in our house because obviously we needed more than one per person!

Heck, I'm jonesing for a Trabby, and the way things are going here, I may get my wish! :D

I don't want a sedan. I want a modern El Camino!

Maybe the Aussies would fall for taking a bloated cavalier ("lozenge like" one review said) and throwing a RWD V8 chassis into it and calling it a desirable sports car, but then taking it and calling it a GTO stateside was a big mistake and a disservice to the original GTO. Good riddance! No wonder it didn't last long here.

At least the CTS-V doesn't pretend to be something it is not or call itself something it is not. My only real issue is with the two door version with that big butthole it has at the back (complete with hemorrhoid) :lol:

Maybe.

But it's relatively easy to abandon that conceit.

Waltons-5-10-web.jpg

Yes! By all means look up Alice Walton! She's worth over 20 billion and has managed to accrue 3 DWIs, including killing a pedestrian and is still driving! I doubt the average person would still be at the wheel. Wealthy people are very similar to most others. Some do not flaunt their wealth others can't wait to. I've known many of both kinds. The idiots are usually not self made but rather in the inheritance business.

Maybe the Aussies would fall for taking a bloated cavalier ("lozenge like" one review said) and throwing a RWD V8 chassis into it and calling it a desirable sports car, but then taking it and calling it a GTO stateside was a big mistake and a disservice to the original GTO. Good riddance! No wonder it didn't last long here.

At least the CTS-V doesn't pretend to be something it is not or call itself something it is not. My only real issue is with the two door version with that big butthole it has at the back (complete with hemorrhoid) :lol:

The only thing I disliked about the 2004-2006 GTO was the front end and tail lights. The interior was pretty nice, and no one complained about the LS1/LS2 power. I've seen a couple of the Holden front/rear ends retrofitted onto the GTO and it looked worlds better. I think if Pontiac had been allowed to survive and had gotten in on the whole retro-theme that Mustang/Camaro/Challenger got into, they would have sold a boatload of those GTO's with retro styling. Add a hood-tach and some 1967-esque taillights and the GTO would have been a stunner.

you have it backwards. When chevrolet wanted to re-introduce the "camaro" name they wanted a car with independant rear suspension and might go around a corner without wrecking. Apparently unwilling to develop such radical new technology in michigan, they instead slapped a different body on a holden and called it a camaro.

you have it backwards. When chevrolet wanted to re-introduce the "camaro" name they wanted a car with independant rear suspension and might go around a corner without wrecking. Apparently unwilling to develop such radical new technology in michigan, they instead slapped a different body on a holden and called it a camaro.

Pontiac always had the better styling over the Chebbies. Even the unofficial Firechicken looks better than what GM produced, lol. Holden would do just fine if GM would leave them alone.

Trans-Am-Depot-450x280.jpg

Please, Firebirds are for girls, Trans Ams are for girly men. :rofl:

You'll notice a Bird has cleavage and a Camaro has an open mouth to put a tittle in...;)

Last edited:

Why on earth would I want a 4 door?:dunno: If I was buying a Hellcat, I'd buy a Challenger. My days of high performance street cars are in the past. It's a waste of money for an expensive and frustrating experience that is really of low value for the money spent.

If I was putting that kind of money into a high performance car, it needs to be track ready and dedicated, a race car; otherwise you're just pulling on your pud in a big stroke off fest. Street racing is for movies and losers like Justin Beiber.:rofl: Driving anything with over 400hp in traffic is just a complete waste. Even 200hp is more than sufficient to get you a right lane holeshot left turn in front of three lanes the moment the light changes.:lol: I had 800hp on the street, every time you leave a light or shift for second, you're spinning tires, making noise, and attracting cops. Paint it red and polish the rims and you're looking at three tickets every time you pull out of the garage.:rofl: I had to stay flat black to stay out of trouble.;):lol:

The new Z-28 offering though looks like it's close to a track ready class car with a bunch of 'delete' items from the equipment list. It would be neat to see some track ready Challengers and Shelbys come out. Get the modern chassis and engines without all the fluff, maybe with factory class compliant rollover framework. Save a few bucks to getting fully track ready.

Lamb chops. That is what Australia is good for. And not even up to New Zealand standards. And don't even get me started on rugby. :D

Lamb chops. That is what Australia is good for. And not even up to New Zealand standards. And don't even get me started on rugby. :D

Yeah, but AFL Footie is pretty good. One of the few televised ball sports I've enjoyed. There is kicking talent there that is incredible.

Why on earth would I want a 4 door?:dunno: If I was buying a Hellcat, I'd buy a Challenger. My days of high performance street cars are in the past. It's a waste of money for an expensive and frustrating experience that is really of low value for the money spent.

If I was putting that kind of money into a high performance car, it needs to be track ready and dedicated, a race car; otherwise you're just pulling on your pud in a big stroke off fest. Street racing is for movies and losers like Justin Beiber.:rofl: Driving anything with over 400hp in traffic is just a complete waste. Even 200hp is more than sufficient to get you a right lane holeshot left turn in front of three lanes the moment the light changes.:lol: I had 800hp on the street, every time you leave a light or shift for second, you're spinning tires, making noise, and attracting cops. Paint it red and polish the rims and you're looking at three tickets every time you pull out of the garage.:rofl: I had to stay flat black to stay out of trouble.;):lol:

The new Z-28 offering though looks like it's close to a track ready class car with a bunch of 'delete' items from the equipment list. It would be neat to see some track ready Challengers and Shelbys come out. Get the modern chassis and engines without all the fluff, maybe with factory class compliant rollover framework. Save a few bucks to getting fully track ready.

You don't need to drive at illegal speeds to enjoy a high performance car. It's all about the acceleration. Anyone can drive fast, it's how quickly you get there. I'm a car nut. I own four high HP vehicles and not one is under 550 HP. One is 650 HP and weighs under 3000 lbs. Sure it is extreme fun at the track but I enjoy it just as much on the street. Accelerating onto the highway, or blipping the throttle to pass someone on the highway before they can blink is huge fun. You don't need to be going 150 mph to enjoy it. I also have a truck with 800HP. It will vaporize the rear tires if you floor it in 2WD mode but guess what? You don't do that. If you were squealing your tires on every pull off in your hotrod you had, then you need to learn how to modulate your right foot...:lol: Less right rudder.

Did someone else post this here? If so apologies. I stole it. If not, just a public service announcement:

d37bf99855474a0dd8729e41ad236528.jpg

You don't need to drive at illegal speeds to enjoy a high performance car. It's all about the acceleration. Anyone can drive fast, it's how quickly you get there. I'm a car nut. I own four high HP vehicles and not one is under 550 HP. One is 650 HP and weighs under 3000 lbs. Sure it is extreme fun at the track but I enjoy it just as much on the street. Accelerating onto the highway, or blipping the throttle to pass someone on the highway before they can blink is huge fun. You don't need to be going 150 mph to enjoy it. I also have a truck with 800HP. It will vaporize the rear tires if you floor it in 2WD mode but guess what? You don't do that. If you were squealing your tires on every pull off in your hotrod you had, then you need to learn how to modulate your right foot...:lol: Less right rudder.

I had a stack of tickets designated "Excessive Display of Accelleration" it was typically accompanied with "Excessive Noise due to Squeeling of Tires." I get them for letting the clutch out at a light at idle.

It's ll good, I'm not knocking anyone for it, just sayin I don't really want one for a driver anymore, BTDT.:lol:

Last edited:
I had a stack of tickets designated "Excessive Display of Accelleration" it was typically accompanied with "Excessive Noise due to Squeeling of Tires." I get them for letting the clutch out at a light at idle.

It's ll good, I'm not knocking anyone for it, just sayin I don't really want one for a driver anymore, BTDT.:lol:

Yeah don't do that stuff in front of a cop! :lol:

Shysters!

Holy Moly they don't want to give me squat for my 2007 Escalade. The dealers quote for my trade in was $7000.00 less than what Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book online say is the beginning of the range they should be paying me for my car.

And the CTS-V on their show room floor is a 2013 with 1900 miles on it. It's a used car! They sold it to themselves in-house to get the rebate and put the mileage on it. He wanted $55K for it which I thought was maybe reasonable, with the remaining factory warranty, but they want to absolutely kill me on my trade in. NO DEAL. :nonod:

Yeah don't do that stuff in front of a cop! :lol:

Dude, it's at idle when you have a 332° cam rapping you at 1100rpm. :lol: There was no way to not make tire noise with street legal tires of the times. Even leaving a light in second didn't particularly help because with 4:30 gears she'd really jump.

Shysters!

Holy Moly they don't want to give me squat for my 2007 Escalade. The dealers quote for my trade in was $7000.00 less than what Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book online say is the beginning of the range they should be paying me for my car.

And the CTS-V on their show room floor is a 2013 with 1900 miles on it. It's a used car! They sold it to themselves in-house to get the rebate and put the mileage on it. He wanted $55K for it which I thought was maybe reasonable, with the remaining factory warranty, but they want to absolutely kill me on my trade in. NO DEAL. :nonod:

Sell the truck and buy the car, or keep the truck and buy the car. What are you driving a pimp mobile for anyway? You need to put some 22s under that sucker and some bling and sell it to one of the "Buy Here Pay Here" lots in the hood. They pay top dollar for crap like that. A Real Rancher drives a Suburban when he wants a Suburban.:rofl:;) An oil man is either driving an Eldorado with a longhorn hood ornament or a pickup.:lol:

I have a BMW 335i coupe. It won't light the tires up at idle, but it's twin turbo and fun to drive. It's reasonably priced and you can "flash" it to 400HP without turning a wrench. You can pick one up slightly used with warranty under $30K.

Prior to the BMW I had a Land Rover LR3. I'd like to own another one of those or maybe the upcoming Jeep Wrangler diesel. That sounds interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sell the truck and buy the car, or keep the truck and buy the car. What are you driving a pimp mobile for anyway? You need to put some 22s under that sucker and some bling and sell it to one of the "Buy Here Pay Here" lots in the hood. They pay top dollar for crap like that. A Real Rancher drives a Suburban when he wants a Suburban.:rofl:;) An oil man is either driving an Eldorado with a longhorn hood ornament or a pickup.:lol:

It has 22's on it. :lol:

I'm a Natgas man. I don't know what we drive.. :dunno:

sometimes those lamb chops get in the way, here's a photo. Apologies to all if posting something aviation-related is considered poor taste.

Attachments

• sheep.jpg
    sheep.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 15
Shysters!

Holy Moly they don't want to give me squat for my 2007 Escalade.

Well, duh!

If you want what it's worth, put it out on the free market.

Trading in will always be convenient, and may have a small tax advantage, but rarely will you get top dollar for your trade.

In fact, bringing a trade into the negotiations obfuscates everything. You may feel you've "won" when they give you a high price for your trade, only to find they would have negotiated a much lower price for a cash transaction, or one without a trade.

The only way to "clear the air" is to negotiate a price without a trade first, then introduce the trade. Then you'll see what they really value the trade at - and prepare to be disappointed!

Well, duh!

If you want what it's worth, put it out on the free market.

Trading in will always be convenient, and may have a small tax advantage, but rarely will you get top dollar for your trade.

In fact, bringing a trade into the negotiations obfuscates everything. You may feel you've "won" when they give you a high price for your trade, only to find they would have negotiated a much lower price for a cash transaction, or one without a trade.

The only way to "clear the air" is to negotiate a price without a trade first, then introduce the trade. Then you'll see what they really value the trade at - and prepare to be disappointed!

Or the other way around, they give you a great deal on the new car knowing they'll make up the profit on your trade. The margin of the Used Car side of the lot is a lot better than the New Car side.

Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but the Top Gear guys tested the Caddy. They were very pleasantly surprised by how good it is.

"Review: Clarkson tests the Cadillac CTS-V at the Top Gear test track. He initially mocks the claim that it handled like a European car (after development had been done at the Nürburgring), before racing it against an Audi S4 driven by the Stig. Despite a similar power output, and the Stig in control of the Audi, the Cadillac wins. Jeremy likes it, but doesn’t recommend it over the Vauxhall Monaro muscle car, and expresses disdain over the constant “bong” sounds the car makes when the door is open, the key is in the ignition, and so on. The CTS-V does a lap around the test track in 1.33:4 in the wet."

That was a first generation CTS-V.. which was fast, but very badly put together.

The Vauxhall(actually a Holden from Australia) was the equivalent of US Pontiac GTO and later G8.. until GM scrapped the Pontiac. Now it's the new Chevy Caprice.

Last edited:
Back