Tablet yoke mount

injb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jb
I've just started my cross country training and I'm using an 8" Android tablet with Garmin Pilot. I've just had it resting on my lap for the last few flights, but I think I'd prefer to have it mounted on the yoke. I was thinking of buying this but I wanted to see if anyone here has any recommendations? Thanks!

That's one of two which would be my choice. This is the other cradle (it's the one I use). The advantage of both is they will fit your next similar-sized but different tablet. The Tab-Tite will actually let you switch cups to fit completely different sized ones. I originally bought it for a full-size iPad and then picked up the smaller cups for my 8".

That’s what I use with iPhone 6plus. It’s fine. I get a little vibration. On mine, the back of the v-shaped thingy on the thumb-screw that attaches to the yoke cracked but it’s on a non-structural area and works 100%.

personally Id keep in on your lap vs bolting it onto your aircraft controls

BTDT. Fine for VFR but I've always preferred my approach plates on the yoke, even when they were paper. Never had a problem with being in the way or blocking essentials.

Obviously, the OP's issue inst instrument approaches, but location is more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

I'm using the one that midlife linked for both an iPad mini on the far right of the cockpit and I also use the same model for my Nexus 7 on the yoke, no complaints.

That's one of two which would be my choice. This is the other cradle (it's the one I use). The advantage of both is they will fit your next similar-sized but different tablet. The Tab-Tite will actually let you switch cups to fit completely different sized ones. I originally bought it for a full-size iPad and then picked up the smaller cups for my 8".

Does that one block the ports at the bottom of the tablet? I don't think I'll need to use them anyway, but I should probably think about it.

Why?

I use the one the OP linked to and have it on the pax yoke for chart reference with my Aera on the yoke in front of me. I occasionally bump it with my right hand which is a little annoying. If it was being mounted front and center I'd probably go with Mark's solution.

Unless strapped to my leg, having a tablet in my lap would surely lead to my dropping it.

Im not a fan of hard mounting ANYTHING to the controls of a aircraft, not even a fan of strap on knee boards, plus having my plates and charts moving around as the yoke moves is annoying, found my mini works great on my lap in everything from tandem 7ACs to Jet-A burners, plus I can easily put it aside when I dont need it.

Probably the most repetitive topic I’ve seen on this site. There was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. Do a search.

I have been using a RAM yoke mount since 2011. Still using the one I bought back then. I did not like having to juggle the iPad in my lap but I love having it mounted right in front of me. My iPad mount has the full platter. I have never used one of the "X" grip models and no experience to offer there. Best of luck with whatever you get.

Does that one block the ports at the bottom of the tablet? I don't think I'll need to use them anyway, but I should probably think about it.
It doesn't. The cups at the top and bottom are basically frames and open giving access to all the ports.
RAM-HOL-TAB23UIU3.jpg

The ones for the larger tablets have some extra supports but are still mostly open
ram-hol-tab8u-3.jpg

Ram mounts can fit just about any configuration you could need.

Covered VERY recently, search works well for multitudes or copies of this thread.

Not a fan of yoke mounts. Yokes move and have to move more in turbulence, and trying to read something that’s twisting and moving is silliness.

I suppose I'm a curmudgeon, but using a tablet for "cross country training" seems to defeat the whole purpose of the training.
You are a curmudgeon ;)

No question part of cross country training needs to be based on the pilot left with nothing but pilotage. And yes, a pilot needs to know how to figure headings and track distance, groundspeed and fuel use manually. But the use of a tablet doesn't prevent any of that from happening.

I've just started my cross country training and I'm using an 8" Android tablet with Garmin Pilot. I've just had it resting on my lap for the last few flights, but I think I'd prefer to have it mounted on the yoke. I was thinking of buying this but I wanted to see if anyone here has any recommendations? Thanks!

You have a nice CFI. I don’t let my students use Foreflight or and other program during thier cross county. They have to use what is supplied in the plane. I will teach them to you the toys as they get close to the checkride. Even though they aren’t allowed to use in the checkride.

... But the use of a tablet doesn't prevent any of that from happening.
I agree completely. As long as the tablet is turned off and held face-down. It is far too tempting, especially for a student, to substitute the magenta line for real situational awareness.

I made my own yoke mount by bolting the lid/cover of an Otterbox Defender case to Ram Mounts hardware.

I suppose I'm a curmudgeon, but using a tablet for "cross country training" seems to defeat the whole purpose of the training.

Same here, learning pilotage is a big deal, as after you get your ticket, there is no limitation that I know of that says

"Not authorized to act as PIC without foreflight"

Thus you could legally take off in a plane with a bare bones VFR panel, no foreflight, and fly across the country, or try to.

One could also train a monkey to use foreflight, I just teach VFR and by visual I mean the window not a iPad screen, later on I can show them a couple tricks in foreflight, but I don't train with it, no more than you'd let a 5th grader use a calculator in math class and during a math test.

I agree completely. As long as the tablet is turned off and held face-down. It is far too tempting, especially for a student, to substitute the magenta line for real situational awareness.
But then, unless you use paper for a backup (some do some don't) you lose the sectional. The best alternative is to turn off the GPS capability, simulating that type of failure and be left with a tablet with charts you have to read and navigate manually. I agree on the temptation, so this is going to be an important part of the dual cross countries.

The other thing I discovered is a tablet can actually enhance VFR pilotage skills. I bet there are many, many pilots out there who, as students on a dual cross country had their instructor point to a land feature saying, "that's a ..... See it on the chart?" nodded yes but had no idea what they were talking about. With "own ship" you know exactly what the item is and can learn to better identify things on the ground based on their chart depiction.

Most of the problems with tablet use at the student level are about the instructor, not the tablet.

... With "own ship" you know exactly what the item is and can learn to better identify things on the ground based on their chart depiction ...
I guess we'll have to disagree on that. With "own ship" there is zero challenge in identifying what is below you. The real fun is trying to match the lakes, towns, and features you see out the window with something on the chart. Especially at lower altitudes, distant lakes don't look much like the chart depictions and many features can't be picked out at all.

I could see a weak argument for using a tablet ONLY for displaying charts, but when lost that is like looking at the charts through a toilet paper tube, making the problem much more difficult.

True confessions: In Olden Times/pre-GPS days I got lost on one of my solo cross-countries. I learned quite a bit about how hard it is to locate oneself when situational awaerness has been lost. With a tablet I couldn't have gotten lost and wouldn't have learned anything.

Back