swayne's first attempt at helo

I may have to go try for a second hour of Rotor. I did 1 in an R22 and I got comfortable at altitude but I freaked myself out with all the at rocking when hovering close to the ground.

If I could do it over again, I would be Swayne. Looks like the guy's got a great life.

Hawaii sure looks like a nice place to fly!

It is. Mostly VFR flying, if private, but you can also always find IMC if you need it. Plus many airports have challenging winds, to keep you up to snuff.

Thousand parts rapidly circling an oil leak. Didn't know they allowed children to join this site, or fly helicopters for that matter.

It is. Mostly VFR flying, if private, but you can also always find IMC if you need it. Plus many airports have challenging winds, to keep you up to snuff.

Agreed. There are some fantastic places to see from the air, and flying yourself beats a sightseeing ride with someone else flying any day. Now, I don't bother getting checked out, I take the CFI along. He can run the radios, can pronounce the reporting points and makes a great tour guide. If it just wasn't so darned expensive. $200/hr dual for a C-172 10 years ago on the big island the last time I flew in Hawaii. I can only guess what it is today.

Agreed. There are some fantastic places to see from the air, and flying yourself beats a sightseeing ride with someone else flying any day. Now, I don't bother getting checked out, I take the CFI along. He can run the radios, can pronounce the reporting points and makes a great tour guide. If it just wasn't so darned expensive. $200/hr dual for a C-172 10 years ago on the big island the last time I flew in Hawaii. I can only guess what it is today.
I definitely think that if one lives in Hawaii and flies with any regularity, it makes even more sense to buy rather than to rent, because of those prices.

I definitely think that if one lives in Hawaii and flies with any regularity, it makes even more sense to buy rather than to rent, because of those prices.
Looks like $7 100LL. How much are hangars? A&P hours?

Looks like $7 100LL. How much are hangars? A&P hours?
From my experience, most go for tiedowns. I can't speak to A&Ps, but I'd bet that they'd be commensurate with the generally high HI prices.

Paradise ain't cheap. But this might be a question of psychology. If I live in a place with bad weather or crime, I will pay a premium for a big house, or a house in a good neighborhood. If I am living in a place which is constantly beautiful, I might be fine with a two bedroom condo (which, LOL, might be about the same price).

I rent a DA40 for $155 (club rate). Much cheaper to rent out here than where I use to live (SF Bay Area). Rental prices more at Kauai, Maui, Big Island. Last year I did a tour around the big island with a CFI and paid $600 (kamaaina rate) with 2.5 hours on the hobbs.

Yer kidding right? mostly kids here I think...

I'm actually 14, and live in my parents' basement.

I pretend to know how to fly a "real" plane for the prestige.

You can tell by how much I say "dude".

I rent a DA40 for $155 (club rate). Much cheaper to rent out here than where I use to live (SF Bay Area). Rental prices more at Kauai, Maui, Big Island. Last year I did a tour around the big island with a CFI and paid $600 (kamaaina rate) with 2.5 hours on the hobbs.

Are you based at HNL?

A complete tour of the Big Island from $600, even kaamiana, is pretty darn good. That was also in a DA40?

I'm just glad I didn't have my first helo lesson recorded! In forward flight, not much of a problem. Learning to hover...that's another story. Took me a few attempts to be able to hold it in a football field. :) When I found the "hover button" it was amazing and one of my favorite flying days.

I'm just glad I didn't have my first helo lesson recorded! In forward flight, not much of a problem. Learning to hover...that's another story. Took me a few attempts to be able to hold it in a football field. :) When I found the "hover button" it was amazing and one of my favorite flying days.
What is the "hover button?"

What is the "hover button?"
Not sure if it's normal helo nomenclature or not? My dad was an Army helo pilot/IP and was teaching me to fly his Robinson at the time. He termed it as the "hover button" is when it all finally makes sense to you and it's like someone just hits a button and you get it. In my limited helicopter experience, you can't hover (well) by thinking about what your hands and feet are doing.

Not sure if it's normal helo nomenclature or not? My dad was an Army helo pilot/IP and was teaching me to fly his Robinson at the time. He termed it as the "hover button" is when it all finally makes sense to you and it's like someone just hits a button and you get it. In my limited helicopter experience, you can't hover (well) by thinking about what your hands and feet are doing.
Thanks

Yeah it's a common saying. 5,000 hrs and I've yet to find the hover button. :D

I wouldn't assume is his first attempt, even if that's what the video says.

I think the coast guard has it on some of their equipment! o_O

:) Yep, some Navy SH-60s have "hover hold" as well. Heard they're unreliable in most sea states.

Back