Suuuper frustrated...have had to cancel my PP checkride 3x now due to weather

FLYGUYRY

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan_M
I guess I'm just venting I'm sure others have had this problem but I feel like its almost impossible to get decent conditions for your checkride here in the northeast in the winter. One day the winds will be good but ceiling too low, then the ceiling will be fine but winds will be 15+ knots. Starting to wonder if maybe its a sign o_O

At least I can keep chugging along with my instrument training I suppose, but missing out on that PIC time is starting to get frustrating

Welcome to small plane general aviation !

No need to wait for perfect conditions, especially calm winds. Go ahead and try your best to get it done. If you must delay, don't sweat it. You will have many fun days of sunny PIC flying in the months and years to come. Good luck!

Yeah, feel your pain. And +1 on the "dont wait for perfect" conditions. You might not get them for a while, so as long as things are within your personal minimums (i.e. 15kts but right down the runway) go for it. Just work through it and the DPE will know what to look for.

15kts isn't bad, think I've soloed folks in that, just depends if it's gusting or a direct crosswind, but most places a steady 15 shouldn't stop ya

Yeah I guess I'm just worried that I won't be able to nail centerline with 15 (unless its right down the runway), I know I can fly safely with 20-25 knot winds it's just not pretty that's all. I guess at some point here I'll just have to give it a go regardless since it seems to take about a month to get rescheduled each time.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

According to my DPE on both of my, well all three of my checkrides, the worse the weather, the more wiggle room they have. For example, if steep turns require +/- 100 feet altitude and so many degrees on heading, they can expand those numbers based on weather conditions and not bust you. Of course, you will have to still show that you are a competent safe pilot but the second you hit 110 feet it is not a bust if they feel you are safe. I can tell you that I am a few hundred hours in and have my IFR rating and still avoid days where it is 20-25 at the local field. If you are comfortable with that, then I would think I would take advantage of the weather and go ahead and knock it out.

Solid advice, yeah I think part of my problem is the fear of not being perfect since I can be a perfectionist at times, I know they have some wiggle room but it seems to all be up to the examiner as far as how much they can give which I suppose is what makes me nervous. I think you guys are right though I should just go for it. It's rescheduled in 2 weeks so here is to hoping!

Solid advice, yeah I think part of my problem is the fear of not being perfect since I can be a perfectionist at times, I know they have some wiggle room but it seems to all be up to the examiner as far as how much they can give which I suppose is what makes me nervous. I think you guys are right though I should just go for it. It's rescheduled in 2 weeks so here is to hoping!

The stories we create in our head are never as bad as we think they will be. Over the years I have learned to stop thinking about all the crap that could go wrong. Lends to a self fulfilling prophecy. Just focus on the basics and keep your head from getting involved. Once you are done, you will probably say I cant believe I worried about that and go grab a few beers.

A DPE isn't going to bust you for one 110 foot excursion in a steep turn. The standard is CONSISTENTLY busting specs.

If you screw up so bad the DPE has to take over, that's a bust, but a single minor fault won't be fatal, especially if you recognize it and fix it.

Hang in there. Don't let to much to much time go by waiting for the checkride without doing some flying. If there is weather within your limits but you couldn't get a DPE that day, go do some solo. If it's a little beyond your limits and your CFI is available go up. Yeah, you'll be spending some money, but don't let your "muscle memory" get amnesia.

A DPE isn't going to bust you for one 110 foot excursion in a steep turn.

I can attest to that. My first steep turn in the checkride was right on the edge. DPE sent me around the other direction and I nailed it. So its all good.

It took 6 scheduled days for my private checkride before I actually got to do it. Just hang in there and it will work out.

I guess I'm just venting I'm sure others have had this problem but I feel like its almost impossible to get decent conditions for your checkride here in the northeast in the winter. One day the winds will be good but ceiling too low, then the ceiling will be fine but winds will be 15+ knots. Starting to wonder if maybe its a sign o_O
It is not a sign. My primary CFI told me: Mother Nature HATES checkrides. Stick with it - sooner or later she'll get tired of delaying you and off you will go! -Skip

Motivation to keep training and get that instrument rating next ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not despair, you will get it done one day.
This is one crazy winter so just wait for a nice big high pressure system to settle over your area and go for it.

Also, if you call the DPE and tell him "wx is bad, I need to cancel", he will be happier than if he has to call you. Because it shows your PIC authority and understanding of weather and your limitations. (I too had to reschedule my checkride 2x and I could tell the DPE wanted me to make the right decision - and rightfully so)

GA can get very frustrating,even if you are IFR current,relax,good things come in time,you will have something to talk about after you pass the ride.

Not much you can do unfortunately. Same situation happened to me when I took my PPL checkride.

Canceled mine twice and the 3rd go ended up being a charm. Weather the day of the checkride was calling for thunderstorms most of the day and I was already planning to cancel for the 3rd time, but fortunately the convective activity cleared out late in the afternoon and the DPE was nice enough to do the checkride that day.

Don't get discouraged, it will happen!

One small dissenting voice: If you elect to go in bad enough conditions, the DPE will see that as poor judgement. But remember that this is PPL so if they are conditions you'd solo in, you should be OK to go.

One small dissenting voice: If you elect to go in bad enough conditions, the DPE will see that as poor judgement. But remember that this is PPL so if they are conditions you'd solo in, you should be OK to go.

Yes, absolutely. But be careful not to overdo it. Electing not to go because of 10 knot crosswinds will not go over well. A private pilot should be able to do that. Electing not to go because of a forecast showing gusty 30 knot winds, moderate to severe turbulence with low level wind shear, heavy rain and thunderstorms is entirely called for.

I discontinued my private pilot checkride because of an AIRMET TANGO for moderate turbulence. I had to learn that it was more important to look at all the local METARs and get some PIREPs. It's usually not a big deal unless there are gusty winds on the ground, but I didn't know that then.

A DPE isn't going to bust you for one 110 foot excursion in a steep turn. The standard is CONSISTENTLY busting specs.

If you screw up so bad the DPE has to take over, that's a bust, but a single minor fault won't be fatal, especially if you recognize it and fix it.

This is the key as MAKG says. If you gain altitude don't just accept it, attempt to correct it and get back within the tolerance for that maneuver. As long as a DPE sees that you're making an effort to correct it, that shows you recognize it and are trying to correct it. Same goes for headings etc.

At least I can keep chugging along with my instrument training I suppose, but missing out on that PIC time is starting to get frustrating
3rd try was the charm for me, due to low clouds for the first 2 appointments. I think he gave me brownie points on weather in the oral for demonstrating that I know how to scrub a flight. Don't you just love 'studying' for the same test over and over... haha.

I had to cancel mine once, and the day I had it started off with crappy weather, and I had to divert and wait for weather to clear before I got to the checkride airport. It sucks to not fly, but I think it also helps in that it establishes your judgement in the eyes of the examiner.

3rd try was the charm for me, due to low clouds for the first 2 appointments. I think he gave me brownie points on weather in the oral for demonstrating that I know how to scrub a flight. Don't you just love 'studying' for the same test over and over... haha.

Haha, that is super frustrating I think. I mean I know my stuff but I still study up in the days leading up to the scheduled date. I'm kind of tired of going over it but since I'm planning on being a CFI and going to airlines eventually I suppose it doesn't hurt to continue to pound the basics in my head. It looks like tomorrow is going to be my 5th cancellation :eek:

Of course it couldn't have been scheduled for today, when its absolutely perfect outside :rolleyes:

I feel ya man.

I had to cancel my ifr ride three times due to wx

According to my DPE on both of my, well all three of my checkrides, the worse the weather, the more wiggle room they have.

Cannot agree more. I tried to schedule my PPL before Christmas but had to wait until after the holidays, then had to reschedule due to ice and snow overnight then had to bump it for low vis and ceilings. Finally got mine done last week and guess what- 14 kt crosswinds!

I was feeling pretty confident until the strong winds were keeping me from even trimming up properly for cruise. I felt like I was going to bust the ride every 2 mins but I just kept fighting it. Finally on my crosswind landings I started drifting off the centerline and the DPE just asked to see it again. Same thing. We tried from the other direction (90 degree cross wind and no traffic). I still drifted off centerline but with each landing it got better.

Finally the DPE said we were done, gave me my ticket and said to keep working on those crosswind landings. I had literally never experienced such strong crosswinds yet and I think he was sympathetic towards that, the fact that we had to keep rescheduling, and the fact that I kept making progress.

You'll get there- stay patient, stay proficient, and good luck!!

I tried to cancel my checkride but my examiner insisted it was ok. I thought he was trying to trick me so I stood fast and he said, you don't have to if you aren't comfortable, but the conditions are ok if you are willing to try, the standards are written for calm weather and I can relax them relative to the conditions. I went for it and he did let me slide a bit on a couple things, but it wasn't that bad. Based on my experience, I think bad weather makes it easier (if it's not too bad)

I feel ya man.

I had to cancel my ifr ride three times due to wx

Was it icing or did you have a DPE who doesn't want to do a checkride in IMC ?

I tried to cancel my checkride but my examiner insisted it was ok. I thought he was trying to trick me so I stood fast and he said, you don't have to if you aren't comfortable, but the conditions are ok if you are willing to try, the standards are written for calm weather and I can relax them relative to the conditions. I went for it and he did let me slide a bit on a couple things, but it wasn't that bad. Based on my experience, I think bad weather makes it easier (if it's not too bad)

I felt that way as well. I prefer to do a check ride in windy and bumpy conditions. Maybe because if it is a calm, perfect day and I still mess up then I know it is my fault....:lol::lol::lol:

Did you get the oral portion done?

Did you get the oral portion done?
No, sadly for me I have to fly to my DPE (about a 30 min flight) and I don't have enough vacation time to take a day off just for the oral (not to mention the cost of renting the plane). He doesn't like to split it up anyways. Part of the problem too is he takes the entire day for your checkride, which wouldn't bother me so much except with weather it kind of sucks. I have to plan for the entire day to be good not just half the day. Oh well, I am rescheduled to try again in a couple weeks, perhaps the 6th time is a charm?? I'm about 1/3 of the way through my instrument maybe I should try to save some cash and do both at the same time haha

awesome @ "do both at same time". lol

What are you up to in your IFR training?
and part 141 or part 61?

note: My PPL checkride was literally scheduled one week after I finished training and weather was beautiful. So im sorry for your troubles, I know it sucks. Just keep up on your skills in the mean time.

Back