Supervised TruTrak AP install questions

Landing Fees

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Landing Fees
We are looking to go the owner install route and under supervision of our IA. Looking through the install manual and it appears to be pretty straightforward. So far the only changes to the airframe I see are drilling out three rivets in the L-aileron.

The quote was around $9K installed but the avionics shop has not returned numerous e-mails and phone calls (I even stopped by and left a note on Monday) so we figure we can save $3.5 AU and do it ourselves.

Anybody have any experience installing these?

One of the partners is currently 33% through an RV-14 so I think he can handle three rivets. I am real good at moral support and the other partner is a surgeon so what could go wrong? The electronics might need some outside support.

When Saint Aviation says they will do it for $7200 installed, why the hell would you want to schlog your way through it yourself?

Seriously, $2200 is worth the payment to have someone who knows how to do it, do it right.

When Saint Aviation says they will do it for $7200 installed, why the hell would you want to schlog your way through it yourself?

Seriously, $2200 is worth the payment to have someone who knows how to do it, do it right.

I think the 182RG is in Colorado and Saint Aviation is in Florida.

I did my install in a piper. It wasn't hard and the instructions are pretty good. Before you start I recommend doing an inventory of all parts. Mine was missing some hardware but TT quickly supplied them. It really is a fun job to do, I enjoyed it. It took me around 25 hours if I remember right and that was me also removing the old century set up.

What makes TruTrak so much simpler to install versus its competition, Trio and GFC500?

What makes TruTrak so much simpler to install versus its competition, Trio and GFC500?
I'm not certain on the GFC500 but the trio on the pipers the servos mount in the wing. The TT all went in under my rear seat and actually the roll servo went right where the century roll servo was. So the Trio is a bit more involved in servo mounting.

Whomever installs it best make sure the servo pushrods can't go over center.

When I did my last install I thought it was good by moving the stick throughout its travel. The elevator servo looked a little close when I pulled back on the stick (farther than I would ever do in flight). When I yanked it back aggressively it went over center and the stick locked in full back position. No matter how I tried it wouldn't release. Servos have limit stops that should be used. pushrods should be in the 90 degrees position on servo arm with neutral controls.

What about connecting the TruTrak to avionics? I'm not sure that's something my A&P/IA is up to.
That's not hard either..they have it laid out to what pins go where. If you can follow a diagram and aren't afraid of getting behind the panel it's not bad. The hardest part wiring in mine was running the wire up the control tube to put in the disconnect switch. Running that wire consumed a good hour or more. I was not happy. Haha

Simple to connect to avionics. you need to download the wiring diagrams, get wire, crimpers and pins, then after wiring go into setup menu and tell the boxes what to output or receive on what pins.

I should say it is simple to do but it will look good when a pro does it.

Last edited:
Still working on quotes. Thanks for the info. The roll servo is installed in the Cessna wing.

Think we got a good quote. First week of June for the install. I will be in Europe so they will have it ready for me when I need to go to OshKosh

Whomever installs it best make sure the servo pushrods can't go over center.

When I did my last install I thought it was good by moving the stick throughout its travel. The elevator servo looked a little close when I pulled back on the stick (farther than I would ever do in flight). When I yanked it back aggressively it went over center and the stick locked in full back position. No matter how I tried it wouldn't release. Servos have limit stops that should be used. pushrods should be in the 90 degrees position on servo arm with neutral controls.
What system are you referring to? The TruTrak brackets have built-in stops that won’t let the servos get close to over center. That would certainly be a deadly situation in flight. I have been installing auto pilots for 10+ years. I check every servo install to make sure I can’t push-pull-force it over Center. Many systems have limiting brackets, which I use if there is any way that a servo could get close to over center.

What system are you referring to? The TruTrak brackets have built-in stops that won’t let the servos get close to over center. That would certainly be a deadly situation in flight. I have been installing auto pilots for 10+ years. I check every servo install to make sure I can’t push-pull-force it over Center. Many systems have limiting brackets, which I use if there is any way that a servo could get close to over center.
Just installed the G5 GMC507 system. Hadn't installed the limiting brackets yet... Ended up modifying a pushrod, changing servo control arm mounting hole for the pushrod, then installing the limiting brackets. Works pretty well now. I am sure that compared to one of your installs the wiring looks like a 5 year old did it.:)

Back