Sun n' Fun 2013

SCREEN NAME......NAME..........Dates attending.........other..............

CTarrow................ Andy ...........Thursday & Friday ........Will Have car
KeyWestPhotog.... Joe ..............I'm good for any........... will need car/lodging
flygirl34q................Lynn.............most of the week..........Commuting from KZPH
Tony Scarpelli........same............first or 2nd weekend......flying in
CMTowner.............Chris.............all week long................Will have car/lodging
dogdaddy..............Brian.............any day.......................have car; live nearby
alfadog..................John.............undecided/camping......with son

Would much rather do this than the Spring Break thing with the brats errrr kids. Time will tell.

SCREEN NAME......NAME..........Dates attending.........other..............[/B]

KeyWestPhotog.... Joe ..............I'm good for any........... will need car/lodging
flygirl34q................Lynn.............most of the week..........Commuting from KZPH
CMTowner.............Chris.............all week long................Will have car/lodging
dogdaddy..............Brian.............any day.......................have car; live nearby
alfadog..................John.............undecide d/camping......with son
Alland....................Allan............Thursday - Friday............commuting from KGIF

Would much rather do this than the Spring Break thing with the brats errrr kids. Time will tell.

Hopefully, you can make this work! I made it for the first time last year and enjoyed it very much! :D

SCREEN NAME.......NAME..........Dates attending..........other..............

KeyWestPhotog...... Joe .............I'm good for any........... will need car/lodging
Tony Scarpelli.........same............first or 2nd weekend......flying in
CMTowner..............Chris............all week long.................Will have car/lodging
dogdaddy...............Brian............any day.......................have car; live nearby
alfadog..................John.............undecided/camping.......with son
Alland....................Allan............Thursday - Friday..........commuting from KGIF
FLav8r...................David............Friday/Saturday............Driving from KFHB

I will be flying my Gobosh down from Colorado Springs if the weather works out. I tried to fly to Sebring a few weeks ago and it was a no go for GA. I plan to fly down commercial if the weather says no.

Carl

That gives me an idea.

Anyone from the Denver area going to SnF have room for one more? My 13-year-old son. He lives in Golden and I am in Miami but there is no need for him to come all the way down here, I can meet up with him at SnF. I was going to put him on commercial but this could work out better and I will contribute toward the expenses of the flight.

Im planning on coming down again this year, not sure if I will drive or fly the 172. All depends on the weather trends.

Alland....................Allan............Thursda y - Friday............commuting from KGIF
user_offline.gif

Alland....................Allan............Thursda y - Friday............commuting from KGIF
user_offline.gif
Hi All, Cant figure out how, but please add me to the list! Based in Ft Lauderdale (ALWAYS VFR)... I'll be at SnF Thursday - Sunday. Camping & either alone, or with the CoPilot...:)
Can I help? Be included?
It is a great festival dedicated to US, the great Pilots of America!
CaptGary

KeyWestPhotog.......Joe..............I'm good for any........... will need car/lodging
alfadog..................John.............undecided/camping......KTMB - camping with son &??
Alland....................Allan............Thursday - Friday........commuting from KGIF
CaptGary...............Gary.............Thursday - Sunday.......KFXE - Camping & either alone, or with the CoPilot

Last edited:

user_offline.gif

user_offline.gif
Hi All, Cant figure out how, but please add me to the list! Based in Ft Lauderdale (ALWAYS VFR)... I'll be at SnF Thursday - Sunday. Camping & either alone, or with the CoPilot...:)
Can I help? Be included?
It is a great festival dedicated to US, the great Pilots of America!
CaptGary

KeyWestPhotog.......Joe..............I'm good for any........... will need car/lodging
alfadog..................John.............undecided/camping......KTMB - camping with son &??
Alland....................Allan............Thursday - Friday........commuting from KGIF
CaptGary...............Gary.............Thursday - Sunday.......KFXE - Camping & either alone, or with the CoPilot
The boys.................joe..............all week......................live nearby.

Where will the people camping be? Classics Parking or the reg. camping area?

Depends. Last year I was in the regular camping area but there is a chance I will fly the Luscombe up. I would only do that if I can't find some folks to help me with expenses in a club C-182. In that case, I will park it wherever the (non-pilot) owner wants it and find someone to carry my camping gear up in a car.

Mr. Alpha & the Dog Too... IF you end up going in the antique, I could haul your gear up. Let me know. Dogs fly for free...:) :yes:
CaptGary

KeyWestPhotog...... Joe .............I'm good for any........... will need car/lodging
CMTowner..............Chris............all week long.................Will have car/lodging
dogdaddy...............Brian............any day.......................have car; live nearby
alfadog..................John.............undecide d/camping.......with son
Alland....................Allan............Thursda y - Friday..........commuting from KGIF
FLav8r...................David............Friday/Saturday............Driving from KFHB
Lance F..................Lance...........Friday/Saturday ............flying in from KCVC

Alland....................Allan............Thursda y - Friday..........commuting from KGIF
Lance F..................Lance...........Friday/Saturday ............flying in from KCVC
The boys.................joe..............all week......................live nearby

I know there have been a few suggestions/invitations for getting together. Have we decided on a specific date/time?
If we do something outside of the airport I can take some of you (who fly in and don't have a vehicle) in my car since I live nearby too. You can PM me with your contact info if you wish. I will start PMing my phone number to you.

Friday, 12 noon @ big yellow AOPA tent?

The above was the original post when I started the thread. Certainly open to suggestions but since everyone will be SNF, AOPA's yellow tent is a central spot. I thought we meet there and grab lunch.

"The Boys" Offered a cookout and pool party suggestion which sounds great! (if the offer still exists) Maybe Thursday night? I think we do a separate sign up for that....

Friday eve is the infamous night show at SNF which is spectacular.

Last edited:
A friend and I are planning to fly down on the second weekend (4/12 - 4/14). I've got a couple of questions on the arrival procedure for someone that's been before:

Is the displaced threshold on 9L and 9R meant to be at the beginning or end of the runway? I am assuming that we are supposed to land beyond that point, making the threshold at the beginning of 9L and 9R. No, this not a stupid question, I've made the A1 turnoff from 9 in a Cessna 150 lots of times.

How are the colored dots used? If I am given an instruction to land at the orange dot, I'm guessing that is to be my intended point of touchdown. Am I correct on that?

A friend and I are planning to fly down on the second weekend (4/12 - 4/14). I've got a couple of questions on the arrival procedure for someone that's been before:

Is the displaced threshold on 9L and 9R meant to be at the beginning or end of the runway? I am assuming that we are supposed to land beyond that point, making the threshold at the beginning of 9L and 9R. No, this not a stupid question, I've made the A1 turnoff from 9 in a Cessna 150 lots of times.

How are the colored dots used? If I am given an instruction to land at the orange dot, I'm guessing that is to be my intended point of touchdown. Am I correct on that?

You are expected to land on or past the dot assigned. For small aircraft, you will probably be landing on a taxiway. This is covered in the NOTAM which is available on the SnF website.

You are expected to land on or past the dot assigned. For small aircraft, you will probably be landing on a taxiway. This is covered in the NOTAM which is available on the SnF website.

I read it, but if I don't ask when it isn't clear to me then I won't know.

I read it, but if I don't ask when it isn't clear to me then I won't know.

No prob, no disrespect intended. Are you clear now? It is not difficult if you routinely practice precision landing (is there another kind?)

None of it is very difficult, especially if you go over to Google satellite or Google Earth (better) and go over the route in from the lake until you thoroughly understand it.

Alfadog,

Yes, it is clear now. Thanks for the reply. I will more likely than not be the navigator in the 172 and not PIC but I do want to know the ins and outs before we go.

I did my primary training at Lakeland, the PIC at Winter Haven, so we will be at least somewhat familiar with the area.

Alfadog,

Yes, it is clear now. Thanks for the reply. I will more likely than not be the navigator in the 172 and not PIC but I do want to know the ins and outs before we go.

I did my primary training at Lakeland, the PIC at Winter Haven, so we will be at least somewhat familiar with the area.

Cool. I flew there for the last two years but the previous year I chickened out as it was my first solo flight in 34 years. :yes:

I just did my income tax...I have to pay about 4 times as much as I've ever had to pay before. That reduces the number of days I'll be able to go to Sun n Fun.

I still plan to go Fri. Maybe Sat. And I can still help with driving on any of the days.

March 17: OK I redid my taxes and found my error! I now have to pay less than I have paid in previous years. Sun n Fun, here I come! See you all there!

Last edited:
SNF is just a few weeks away! Here's the current details:

I am changing the meeting location to meet in front of the gift shop, next door to the AOPA yellow tent. It will be easier to find everyone.

Friday meet up, 12 noon

Here is the current list:

Re: Sun n' Fun 2013

The boys.................joe..............all week......................live nearby

Last edited:
SNF is just a few weeks away! Here's the current details:

I am changing the meeting location to meet in front of the gift shop, next door to the AOPA yellow tent. It will be easier to find everyone.

Meet at 12 noon!

I must have missed it. Which day are we talking about now? Or are we talking about every day at noon whomever is there meets at noon?

Last edited:
Hi Alpha & all the people I hope to meet at SnF. I'll be going it alone on Thurs. from KFXE. Any on wanting to meet for a beer or dinner? Lets swap horror stories.
I have mine..... InFlight fire over MIA 3 days after hurricane Andrew, in a S-35 Bo. Can you say MAYDAY......?
CaptG. :yikes:

I believe he is talking about Friday.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1048471&postcount=8

However, if anyone will not be there on Friday, we can have more than one meetup. Post any additional suggestions in this thread.
Due to conflicts with my daughters class schedule we will only be able to come for Saturday/Sunday.
So I'll have to bow out of the Friday gig and try again next year.
If you're there Sat or Sun I'll be the guy wearing the SnF shirt and AOPA hat. :goofy:

I am wondering if attendance will be down this year? It seemed to me that Airventure attendance was down last year. In looking at hotels in Lakeland I noticed that the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport and Hampton Inn right down the road are both still available .. even using Hilton points. This would seem to indicate to me that at least those who would normally stay there aren't going to be there this year. The last couple years I believe both were sold out. I also noted on the VAF site that Avery tools posted that they would not be attending the show. They have been there for years. With the pull out of military planes and the questions over the tower ( I know they now say it will be manned).. I wonder if attendance will be down?

I am planning on heading out from Colorado Springs to the show next weekend. It should be interesting to see what the crowds look like.

Carl

I'm planning on going. Be there for the weekend, some more friends are driving down.

I am wondering if attendance will be down this year? It seemed to me that Airventure attendance was down last year. In looking at hotels in Lakeland I noticed that the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport and Hampton Inn right down the road are both still available .. even using Hilton points. This would seem to indicate to me that at least those who would normally stay there aren't going to be there this year. The last couple years I believe both were sold out. I also noted on the VAF site that Avery tools posted that they would not be attending the show. They have been there for years. With the pull out of military planes and the questions over the tower ( I know they now say it will be manned).. I wonder if attendance will be down?

I am planning on heading out from Colorado Springs to the show next weekend. It should be interesting to see what the crowds look like.

Carl

I have seen a sharp decrease in attendance over the past few years. Sign of the times I suppose. With no military aircraft in attendance, this will probably impact the show even more. None the less, it's a few days out of the office for me in sunny, warm 80 degree WX. See u there!

Back