Sun n' Fun 2013

Re: Sun n'(2013

Looks like I'm a cancel for today. Lakeland is IFR right now, and the ceilings are too low enroute to launch early this morning. Beyond that, the forecast is for more surface wind (a direct crosswind) later today than I want to deal with in that environment.

Tomorrow ain't lookin' ideal either...

Re: Sun n'(2013

Looks like I'm a cancel for today. Lakeland is IFR right now, and the ceilings are too low enroute to launch early this morning. Beyond that, the forecast is for more surface wind (a direct crosswind) later today than I want to deal with in that environment.

Tomorrow ain't lookin' ideal either...

Sorry to hear :(

Just a quick update: Tuesday evening I received a phone call asking me if I wanted to PIC a flight down to SnF and I jumped on the opportunity.

Let me tell you it was a fantastic day for flying and attending the SnF show, I even came back home last night with a sunburn to prove it.

There were only a few planes sighted on our flight down to Lakeland but that all changed as we were arriving over Lake Parker, at that point the aircraft call-outs were in every direction and too numerous to count.
Once on the ground we were directed to parking that would later prove to be a major challenge to get back to (more on that later).

I forgot to bring my tie-downs but I was able to purchase a set for $25 from the roving ground crews and I was also able to pay for admission with them as well (which included a free Snf hat that proudly displays that you flew into SnF).
I was so excited to be amongst so many other GA aircraft that I almost forgot to take pictures. To me the best part of SnF is all the different and similar GA aircraft that you see in the parking area, where there are planes parked all around you as far as the eye can see.

Once inside the show grounds it was time to go to Wild Bills and get my souvenir cup with unlimited refills because I could tell that it was definitely going to be a warm day and taking care of my thirst was priority one.

After wondering past all the different vendors inside the hangars I quickly realized that the most crowed vendors were those that had anything to do with EFB's or more specifically, the vendors like Foreflight, WingX, Stratus, Tablet mounting options such as RAM, MyGoFlight.
After a while I started to realize that some of the older companies that are not keeping up with the latest trends in tablet software and hardware appeared to be falling behind, some of them had really large fancy booths but not very many customers.

At airshow time I went outside into the direct heat of the sun to watch the airshow and I loved watching all the old warbirds fly overhead, if you blocked everything else out you could imagine what it must have been like in the 1940's.

Signature Aviation had setup a nice tented rest area where you could go to rest up your feet and to get out of the sun while you recharged your phones, camera and tablet thanks to their numerous charging stations by every leather cushioned seat that they had. If you got the right seat you can even see the airshow from inside their tent.

Well it was now 5 o'clock and time to make my way back to the plane so that I could preflight it so that I would be ready to depart at 6 o'clock sharp when the show ended, this is where the fun really began.
It almost took the entire hour to walk back to our plane that was parked in the furthest corner of the airport (close to the large yellow DHL plane if you know where that is), my legs were already shot from walking the airshow the entire day and the sunburn was starting to make itself known to me.
I also started to question myself as to whether or not I was even headed in the right direction, but just as I drank my last sip of my Wild Bill's soda and was about to give up and throw myself down on the grass and let the paramedics take me by ambulance I spotted our plane.

I preflighted the plane then sat there waiting for my passenger so that we would be ready to depart at 6 o'clock sharp. When he arrived we listened to the ATIS that kept stating the airport would reopen at 6 but apparently the show was going into overtime so we sat and waited for the signal to move.
Then suddenly some of the planes to our right began to start their engines based on instructions they were receiving from ground crews (ATIS was still indicating the airport was closed). We started our engines and began our VERY LONG, LONG taxi to the runway.
I have to say that it was definitely a first for me to be number ONE THOUSAND in line for takeoff.

After takeoff we flew the required three miles out from the runway heading and then turned north and headed home leaving behind another fantastic SnF event.

I have been going to Sun 'n Fun for over twenty years now and this was my first time ever flying into there instead of my usual boring drive.
I have to say that by plane has got to be the greatest way to arrive there.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
There's one person in this picture that was posted by AOPA on Facebook that looks really familiar to me.

130410club.jpg

Best volunteer job at Sun-N-Fun: security detail in the performer's hangar.

ja5uny6a.jpg

Sure glad last year's tornado missed that structure!

I'm driving down early tomorrow morning to spend the day(staying the night in Tampa). I'll stop by the AOPA tent at noon to say hello to whoever is around. Looks like if I had intended to fly I would be scrubbing based on the weather. I'm in Tallahassee and the front is passing through in a few hours and looks nasty.

I preflighted the plane then sat there waiting for my passenger so that we would be ready to depart at 6 o'clock sharp. When he arrived we listened to the ATIS that kept stating the airport would reopen at 6 but apparently the show was going into overtime so we sat and waited for the signal to move.
Then suddenly some of the planes to our right began to start their engines based on instructions they were receiving from ground crews (ATIS was still indicating the airport was closed).

Y'know, that's been one of the most annoying things to me at SnF. The ATISes are USELESS!!! No winds, no altimeter setting, no weather info at all - They just read the freaking NOTAM to you! And then you monitor Lake Parker Arrival, they tell you to rock your wings, and then they read you the procedure AGAIN! Ugh!

I've had to get the winds and altimeter setting from ForeFlight through Stratus/ADS-B. It's just asinine that they want everyone at the same altitude but then don't give you the altimeter setting... And frankly, the Lake Parker arrival controllers are totally unnecessary, since all they tell you to do is fly westbound, pick up I-4 for three miles and turn south. Hello, the NOTAM says that!

At OSH, most pilots take pride in the mantra: Read the NOTAM, know the NOTAM, fly the NOTAM! And everyone does it. SnF has a NOTAM but frankly I've been seeing WAY more traffic at the other end of my daily air commute with all the Riddle traffic here in Daytona Beach, so I wonder why they really need a NOTAM - Add another position to Orlando and Tampa approach for sequencing the arrivals via normal procedures and they'd do just fine.

/rant :mad2::mad2::mad2:

I'm driving down early tomorrow morning to spend the day(staying the night in Tampa). I'll stop by the AOPA tent at noon to say hello to whoever is around. Looks like if I had intended to fly I would be scrubbing based on the weather. I'm in Tallahassee and the front is passing through in a few hours and looks nasty.

Looking out my hotel window in Orlando sure looks like the skies want to open up!

Got a seat on the bus so I will be there tomorrow. Anything set up for a meet-up?

Woke up today, took care of the dogs, had bkfst, saw the wx....it started raining so I went back to bed.

I waited till 10 of till 10 past, nobody showed so off I went and met up with a group from my field back in CT. I tried....

I waited till 10 of till 10 past, nobody showed so off I went and met up with a group from my field back in CT. I tried....

I'm sure I walked right past you then, I was looking for a group. Too bad. Would have liked to meet you. I was born in CT, lived there til I was 30.

OK, barring any other suggestions, I will be at the AOPA tent at noon. I will be wearing a very noticeable red tee shirt with the Baker Aviation logo on it (see below). I am an old guy though I kid myself that I don't look my age. Please don't be shy.

Baker-Aviation2.png

Last edited:
I was going to go toay but winds and weather were bad so I came back. Anything on Saturday?

dibaf, I too was out flying, in the afternoon, and it turned out to be quite a challenge. I turned back and landed. It was the most difficult landing I've ever had to do.

So, noon today at the AOPA tent maybe? I'll try to make it over there. I'm the big dude wearing a light green shirt that says "bad in plaid" on the front.

So, noon today at the AOPA tent maybe? I'll try to make it over there. I'm the big dude wearing a light green shirt that says "bad in plaid" on the front.

Sorry, never saw you and I walked the tent a number of times. Oh well. It was a pleasure meeting Terry and Joe. Right now it is 2:18 PM and I am in the Internet Cafe still in the bright red tee shirt with Baker Aviation on it front and back.

Waited where?

Waited in front of the gift shop as was posted. White t shirt , red and black back pack, could not be missed.

Regarding SNF, attendance numbers way down and so are aircraft that flew in. Spoke with a number of vendors and some of the reason are SNF politics, cost, same old nothing new,,, I tend to agree and don't see myself returning next year.

I'm sure I walked right past you then, I was looking for a group. Too bad. Would have liked to meet you. I was born in CT, lived there til I was 30.

Bummer! I was surprised that nobody showed. Oh we'll, **** happens!

Sorry, never saw you and I walked the tent a number of times. Oh well.

I was there from about 11:40-12:10.

Regarding SNF, attendance numbers way down and so are aircraft that flew in. Spoke with a number of vendors and some of the reason are SNF politics, cost, same old nothing new,,, I tend to agree and don't see myself returning next year.

I don't see anything in particular wrong with SnF (except ATC), but the show is a LOT smaller than I expected and can be completely done in a day or two, which means it really isn't worth the trip. The weather is as hot or hotter than OSH in late July and there just isn't that much to do or see. If another opportunity arises for me to come down for a reasonable cost at a good time I might take advantage of it, but otherwise I'm probably not going to bother coming again either.

I was there from about 11:40-12:10.

Oh well, sorry we did not hook up. I feel ya re the value of the show if it is costing you multiple AMU's to attend. My outlay was $35 for the combo bus ride and wristband and another $25 or so on junk food. I got to pound a few rivets for the first time so my money was well spent. My only regret is I totally forgot about the workshops. I caught half of one forum and walked out on another then met some fellow POAers. After that I ate and wandered around and finally stumbled on the workshops and remembered that I had forgotten what I would have most enjoyed. The folks in the sheet metal workshop were kind enough to spend an extra hour working with me and a couple more stragglers. Then the airshow which I enjoyed more than I usually do and the long ride home.

Last edited:
I was sat outside the AOPA tent before noon on Friday, got in conversation with a guy who had flown in from Texas, I initially thought he was there for the POA hook up...saw a few more guys arrive but by the time I had finished chatting with the Texan I turned round and everyone had wandered off to go about their business.
I did ask the guy, are you here for the POA meet up? Hell no I'm here because I needed to take the weight off for a while ....:redface:

Sorry guys and gals who I missed touching base with.

As for the show, my 4th trip over for it, have to say it did look a lot quieter than previous years, and wandering around the hangers, lots of the smaller product vendors chatting among themselves.

Enjoyed the airshow displays, but then again I always do.

Will I be back next year? sure I will.....

Allan (United Kingdom)

Last edited:
As for the show, my 4th trip over for it, have to say it did look a lot quieter than previous years,

Poor, but recovering economy, general aviation in a decline, sequestration resulting in no military hardware or airshow performers, AND, not-the-greatest weather for pilots trying to attend the fly-in.

Add everything up and you get poor attendance from both the hard core aviation types and the local drive-up attendees.

I don't see anything in particular wrong with SnF (except ATC), but the show is a LOT smaller than I expected and can be completely done in a day or two, which means it really isn't worth the trip. The weather is as hot or hotter than OSH in late July and there just isn't that much to do or see. If another opportunity arises for me to come down for a reasonable cost at a good time I might take advantage of it, but otherwise I'm probably not going to bother coming again either.

I'm afraid I agree with Kent. My visit last year was somewhat underwhelming, and I wouldn't return except to visit relatives in the area and combine that with the air show. Two days was more than enough.

I'm afraid I agree with Kent. My visit last year was somewhat underwhelming, and I wouldn't return except to visit relatives in the area and combine that with the air show. Two days was more than enough.

I'm glad we attended SNF back in the early 2000s. The place was packed. It sounds like it would be heart breaking to see it now.

Let's hope this doesn't bode ill for OSH.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Back