Sun and Fun 2019, What did you think?

He just needs a Fokker triplane to fight with...

The kids love the show, and even some very well known airshow pilots have told me they think it's awesome. Still a little strange for me to see the Red Baron flying a Sopwith Camel.

Or even a biplane, for that matter. Should be in a triplane, but I imagine those are a bit scarce.....
I think the concept is, he is immortal, so he could be back today in a different plane, attacking our friends. Either way, it's a hit and I think these guys will have great success in the airshow industry. How many kids get to shoot down the Red Baron?!

I think the concept is, he is immortal, so he could be back today in a different plane, attacking our friends. Either way, it's a hit and I think these guys will have great success in the airshow industry. How many kids get to shoot down the Red Baron?!

Maybe at Oshkosh the EAA can have Aviore trying to shoot him down! :)

Or even a biplane, for that matter. Should be in a triplane, but I imagine those are a bit scarce.....

Only 17 of his 80 kills were in the Fokker triplanes. The other 63 of his kills were in other aircraft that I believe were all biplanes.

We got the DC-3 up in the air several times. We had a drawing at the booth and 4 guys got to log left seat time. Jason Miller also flew the airplane. I know we also had Mr. Aviation 101 and Flight Chops on board for one of the flights.

upload_2019-4-10_14-3-3.png

We got the DC-3 up in the air several times. We had a drawing at the booth and 4 guys got to log left seat time. Jason Miller also flew the airplane. I know we also had Mr. Aviation 101 and Flight Chops on board for one of the flights.

View attachment 73281

I stopped by your booth twice. On Tuesday you weren’t there and on Wednesday you were banging away at the computer surrounded by a bunch of folks. Looks like you had a good show.

I stopped by your booth twice. On Tuesday you weren’t there and on Wednesday you were banging away at the computer surrounded by a bunch of folks. Looks like you had a good show.
Sorry I missed you. We were pretty well swamped in the booth most of the time.

It was my first time and I enjoyed it. Visiting the airplane displays, seeing some of the vendors (and YouTubers), running into some old friends, and meeting some long-and-new-term online friends for the first time.

Volunteering at AOPA Pilot Protection was interesting in terms of seeing the kind of questions asked. Not surprisingly, many about the details of BasicMed, but a smattering of other regulatory ones. Even one asking to explain an instrument procedure chart note. Then there was the 91 year old active pilot who told story after story.
What about 8mike Alfa, stevokanevo and MzeroA? Pauly is neat, but those guys bring in the subscribers and views.
I heard steve was at banyan booth... I saw mojogrip during airshow

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the event. Seems a bit more on the laid back side. The procedures flying in and out seem to work well.

My only complaint is about the GAC side of the event. It is really far away from things, not much going on there vs the north 40 at OSH, and the facilities are lacking...again compared to the north 40 at OSH. When we go back I think we will just park at GAP and grab hotels.

All and all it was a really fun event and it's not every day you get to fly inverted in formation. :)
Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 5.53.11 PM.png

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the event. Seems a bit more on the laid back side. The procedures flying in and out seem to work well.

My only complaint is about the GAC side of the event. It is really far away from things, not much going on there vs the north 40 at OSH, and the facilities are lacking...again compared to the north 40 at OSH. When we go back I think we will just park at GAP and grab hotels.

All and all it was a really fun event and it's not every day you get to fly inverted in formation. :)
View attachment 73290
That’s awesome
How’d you get the flight?

I had a great time out there. Was my 10th year in a row flying to the show. I'm happy at how the weather turned out for Saturday/Sunday. Beautiful weather! I feel like flying attendance was slightly less than I recall seeing in years past, but overall the crowd was much larger than years past. I enjoyed what seemed to be the increase in the warbird ramp and the military display area. I will agree with the above I wish there were different food options.

Biggest complaint this year though, is in years passed we have always left right after the airshow Saturday with friends that are local to go get dinner before the night airshow. Usually the traffic via car out of the parking lot is quick and easy flowing. This year it was basically grid locked right after the airshow. They didn't have all the exits opened and it just gridlocked. After only moving about 2 car lengths in the parking lot over 45 minutes we decided to park the car, walk to the closest traffic light and get an uber instead as otherwise we would have never made it out of the parking to dinner and back in time for the night airshow.

I was also bummed that the drone show didn't go on in the night airshow. Then again I understand as with anything that flies stuff happens!

My impression, after 20 some years I’m done, the way they have crapped all over the EAB crowd was the final straw. They moved hb parking to the edge of the world with no services, crappy tram service, and a 30 minute taxi all around the airport when there was little traffic. From the way they treated the hb crowd it’s apparent that we are not wanted any more. To bad it was the eab crowd that built the even to what it is. I was plannibg on flying in a couple of days,after the first day I said no more. I disagree that the non aviation booths are decreasing, come on a rv (not vans type) display in the middle of the display area, a salon in the hanger? Is now only about the Benjamin’s he writing was on the wall when they split from eaa. It now just a cash register for the foundation.

This was my first Sun-n-Fun since about 2001-2002. We volunteered at the event with EAA Chapter 175 so this was new for us to be working vs just attending. We also didn't fly in or camp as we only live about 35 mins away now. All in all it was quite enjoyable, but in a different fashion from our normal OSH routine-- it was more laid back. We didn't seem rushed but we didn't party as much either.

I liked that the vendor hangars were smaller than OSH and had way fewer non-aviation vendors trying to sell me ****. However, all the vendors I wanted to see were there (like Garmin so I could update my transponder firmware). My wife bought me a new handheld Yaesu radio for my birthday to replace my ancient but still working Bendix-King KX99. So all was good on the shopping front.

I got to see my college roommate fly one of the A-1 Skyraiders twice during the airshow Vietnam reenactment of the rescue of a downed F-105 pilot.

I got to give close examination to the Vashon Ranger. Really nice LSA. If anyone is looking for what a high-wing RV-12 would be, this is as close as you can get without having "RV" stamped on it.

Generally I was very pleased with the experience and plan to be back next year.

I got to give close examination to the Vashon Ranger. Really nice LSA. If anyone is looking for what a high-wing RV-12 would be, this is as close as you can get without having "RV" stamped on it.

Yes, instead you get "VR". ;)

I liked Martin's summary of his experience posted on You Tube:

Back