Suggested Tip Amounts...

SkyDog58

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Canis Non Grata
Getting out of hand!

I usually see 15%, 18% and 20% listed. This is ridiculous.

IMG_3892.jpg

Last edited:
Damn. It was a receipt from lunch today at a Mexican place, the suggested tip percents were 18, 20, and 30.

Crazy! I’ve always been one to tip on service and satisfaction. If I get **** poor service, than their tip will reflect it, no matter how much the ticket is for. I think it’s only fair.

Last edited:
Haven’t seen the 30% yet. Most have22% on the check.

I hate the idea of tips in general and a percentage based system in particular. The old lady working at a diner with low prices is working just as hard if not harder than the younger person at a more expensive place.

I'd like to see the minimum wage exemption for severs to go away so they get paid more by the employer. And yes I know the cost will get passed along but that is a more honest way to get one's wages.

I hate the idea of tips in general and a percentage based system in particular. The old lady working at a diner with low prices is working just as hard if not harder than the younger person at a more expensive place.

I'd like to see the minimum wage exemption for severs to go away so they get paid more by the employer. And yes I know the cost will get passed along but that is a more honest way to get one's wages.

We are the only country I am aware of that tips as a custom.

Tips used to be an advantage because the reported income was lower. Then the gov't changed the tax law changes and now with no one paying cash there went that little perk.

Personally, I liked the service charge system in Europe and the prices didn't seem much higher. Also the service in many instances was better than what we get here.

Tips used to be an advantage because the reported income was lower. Then the gov't changed the tax law changes and now with no one paying cash there went that little perk.

Personally, I liked the service charge system in Europe and the prices didn't seem much higher. Also the service in many instances was better than what we get here.
Lol, my wife is French, and her European friends dislike tips but think service in the USA in general is a 100 times better.

I was taught TIPS is an acronym which means To Insure Prompt Service. And it was giving before.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I was taught TIPS is an acronym which means To Insure Prompt Service. And it was giving before.
You were taught wrong. I'll give you a hint. Most words in use since before WWII are NEVER acronyms. The concept really didn't exist. NEWS doesn't stand for north/east/west/south nor POSH port out/starboard home nor GOLF nor any of these other things. While the etymology is slightly muddled it dates back to the 1700s in the current usage and comes from the word meaning to touching lightly or giving a small thing. Likely it's from the middle English tippe, and then to the Dutch and old German tippen.

i Despise the concept of tipping.

Bad servers should get fired by their employers, or at least not get raises. I should be able to pay what the menu says and enjoy my meal and that’s the end of it. If I, and others complain, it’s the employers job to deal with them, not mine to “punish them” by tipping less, or reward them by tipping more.

There are a few folks on FB that insist on "tipping" airline flight attendants with gift cards. One FA was even given a pair of air pods. No, no, and no. They've been told it's against airline policy, but do it anyway. And the "gifts" are readily accepted by many recipients. Even turned into a major flame war when it was posted online....

I always tip in cash, and tip according to service, not amount.

There are times when less service is good.

I'm in the 'round up and tip 20% for good service' category. I mean, if there actually were categories, that's the one I'd be in.

On a side note any of you cheap bastards (by that I mean airline pilots) still tipping a buck for the hotel van or is $2 or more the norm?

Hell some of our FAs split the tips internationally. One FA will give a buck to the hotel and another will give a buck leaving. WTF.

Here's a tip: Give what you feel comfortable with. <-- see how he did that?

I hate those guides on the receipt. "Hey, moron, need me to calculate your mandatory donation for you?"

Just came from Jersey Mike's. It's a sandwich shop. A REALLY GOOD sandwich shop, but a sandwich shop just the same. When you go to pay with a credit card they always say "just answer a question or two and then swipe your card." Guess what the question's are? Tip Percentage, and Confirm amount.

I need to go for a walk to calm down so I can eat my awesome #13 on wheat Mike's way.

i Despise the concept of tipping.

Bad servers should get fired by their employers, or at least not get raises. I should be able to pay what the menu says and enjoy my meal and that’s the end of it. If I, and others complain, it’s the employers job to deal with them, not mine to “punish them” by tipping less, or reward them by tipping more.
now days you are not tipping the server, per se, you're tipping the whole staff since they split everything at the end of the shift (usually)... So if the food is good, just tell yourself you're tipping the cook even though the service SUK'D...

I drop 20% regardless...

On a side note any of you cheap bastards (by that I mean airline pilots) still tipping a buck for the hotel van or is $2 or more the norm?

Hell some of our FAs split the tips internationally. One FA will give a buck to the hotel and another will give a buck leaving. WTF.
I do $1/bag. Add another dollar or two if they take me somewhere. I’ll also tip the driver more if the FO or FAs don’t throw down. It’s usually the FAs I have to make up for.

Enter Mr Pink:

And don't watch if you don't want some bad language.

now days you are not tipping the server, per se, you're tipping the whole staff since they split everything at the end of the shift (usually)... So if the food is good, just tell yourself you're tipping the cook even though the service SUK'D...

I drop 20% regardless...
If more people tipped crap, that insanity would stop. Service workers would quit for better jobs until employers stopped screwing them. I blame you 20% or more group for screwing it up for everyone.

Was the suggested tip based on pretax or post tax total on the bill? I tip on pretax.

Oh my!

Ravioli's True Story Time:
My brother (actual biological brother, same parents and everything) is a MILITANT about not tipping the tax.
I was buying dinner for him, his wife, my ex, and me and he saw the the tip I wrote down. He's like WTF? Are you insane?
It was the umpteenth time I needed to explain to him that there is no tax on the liquor, so I increase the tip to account for that.

In those days, tax in SoCal was 7.5% so doubling the tax was a good basis point. Then add for really good service and other things that were not taxed.

If more people tipped crap, that insanity would stop. Service workers would quit for better jobs until employers stopped screwing them. I blame you 20% or more group for screwing it up for everyone.
huh?

Slow down and think, man...think before you type... Oh, and proof read... yea...do that too...

Salary wait staff? LOL. How many complaints and loss of business would it take to find out that someone needs to be fired? Too subjective. Poor waiters are more likely to quit due to low pay. In Europe you'll pay for drink refills, nobody wants that either.

A major seafood chain here tried the 'no tips' thing here a couple years ago. Lot of people quit and the restaurants had a hard time hiring people.

Salary wait staff? LOL. How many complaints and loss of business would it take to find out that someone needs to be fired? Too subjective. Poor waiters are more likely to quit due to low pay. In Europe you'll pay for drink refills, nobody wants that either.

A major seafood chain here tried the 'no tips' thing here a couple years ago. Lot of people quit and the restaurants had a hard time hiring people.
The same arguments apply to any job. We’re brainwashed into thinking it should work different for restaurants.

I tip. I tip often and sometimes a lot. But there’s only about one person I never do tip, that would be the owner of the establishment. For instance a place you get your haircut if it’s the owner, I don’t feel a need to tip them because they’re getting all the proceeds anyway. Where is the other people have to pay up. Same goes for restaurant

I was accustomed to not tip the bar owner if/when they were tending bar. Instead I'd buy them an occasional drink. I thought that was the custom everywhere.

When I was in Wisconsin I had been going to a place pretty often. The owner said to one of the bartenders, "he seems like a nice enough guy but he needs to learn how to tip." The bartender told me about it and I said, "I thought she owned the place."

Well, she did, but that wasn't a custom she was familiar with.

Hard to know, sometimes.

There is a reason why I frequent fast food and cafeteria style eateries vs. sit down restaurants even when I have the time for the pay at the end bull****. Why pay a 20% surcharge when you don't have to.

I had to read some on this; it's always been an interesting topic to me.

The first link says no tips to inflight staff. They are professionals of course. But who does not appreciate a small cash "gift"?
Also, I bet most of you guys are not throwing a few bucks on your hotel room bed when you vacate, are you?
My wife served people at a restaurant and a bar. Now she is pretty adamant that any table we get up from is going to have a small pile of cash left under a mug. I don't argue.

http://tipping.org/tips/us.html
https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/how-to-tip-no-guessing-gratuity
https://lifehacker.com/5970143/who-should-i-tip-and-how-much
http://www.whototip.net/

There is a reason why I frequent fast food and cafeteria style eateries vs. sit down restaurants even when I have the time for the pay at the end bull****. Why pay a 20% surcharge when you don't have to.

The more upscale "Chilpotle" and "Fudruckers" style are called fast casual. It is the in between fast food and formal restaurants. I generally find you get better service here for mid level locations; and better value for your money.

Tim

saving literally a couple of bucks is the driving reason you prefer to eat fast food over a decent meal?

The higher end restaurants don’t tend to have “young” people, as they don’t have enough experience. They don’t tend to have “old” people either. I tend to tip on the higher end, as a percentage, for lower priced restaurants with waitstaff.

I’ve noticed far better service in the US than in Europe. I attribute it to tipping. When tipping the waitstaff cares about me, because they care about their tip. In Europe they don’t seem to care as they are getting paid regardless.

I get your point and to an extent I agree in theory, but...

In theory there’s no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there’s often a huge difference between theory and practice.

Practically, in today’s world, I’m glad to see the wait staff working and not on the public dole. I have respect for anyone who holds down a job and I want to encourage it. If they cannot make an acceptable amount, some of them will not be qualified to get a better job and will go on the dole.

Therefore I tip for decent service, and I usually tip generously. To some extent, there’s an element of charity involved in a generous tip, but it’s a charity that isn’t apparent to them and doesn’t hurt their pride.

(My late father in law, OTOH, based his tipping on a waitress’s bust size and flirtatiousness. Waiters didn’t make out too well....)

Is it normal to tip the guy in the bathroom..?? And why was he wearing a chefs hat.??

I get your point and to an extent I agree in theory, but...

In theory there’s no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there’s often a huge difference between theory and practice.

Practically, in today’s world, I’m glad to see the wait staff working and not on the public dole. I have respect for anyone who holds down a job and I want to encourage it. If they cannot make an acceptable amount, some of them will not be qualified to get a better job and will go on the dole.

Therefore I tip for decent service, and I usually tip generously. To some extent, there’s an element of charity involved in a generous tip, but it’s a charity that isn’t apparent to them and doesn’t hurt their pride.

(My late father in law, OTOH, based his tipping on a waitress’s bust size and flirtatiousness. Waiters didn’t make out too well....)
I tip better than most reading my posts probably think. I just don’t like the system.

I tip better than most reading my posts probably think. I just don’t like the system.

I hear ya.

I don’t like it either, but I have to choose my battles, and this isn’t one worth fighting. :)

Back