sudden lack of confidence

L

LOC

600 hr VFR pilot, I usually fly 70-100 hours a year and I have a sudden bout of no confidence in flying alone at all. I have been flying with a CFI for last few months - about 30 hours or so total. He doesnt have to take controls or anything and I am just using him as a safety pilot just in case. but no matter how hard I try, I just cant get myself to take off alone.

anyone else have similar experience? wondering how to get out of this and fly whenever I want again...like I used to

Do you know what precipitated this new found fear? Did you have a close call when flying? Been reading too many accident reports?

Nope. I find flying alone very nice. U don’t have to worry if pax are doing ok or a grumpy CFI tell you you were 4” off centerline (that hardly ever happens to me, I swear!).

What is the fear of, getting lost, not being able to land, losing control, fear of heights or fear of falling.??

Something change at work or at home.??

Find the basis of your sudden loss of confidence and work on that.

600 hours…. the zone.

In the beginning you foolishly think you know what you’re doing. They certified you, after all!

Very high time pilot you actually know what you’re doing.

But when you hit this mid zone you’ve learned enough to know that you don’t know squat, really. It’s a good sign. It’s a sign some things are beginning to sink in, and your learning curve is starting to ramp up.

Quit worrying - if a CFI won’t fly w/you, that’s when you should worry.

600 hr VFR pilot, I usually fly 70-100 hours a year and I have a sudden bout of no confidence in flying alone at all. I have been flying with a CFI for last few months - about 30 hours or so total. He doesnt have to take controls or anything and I am just using him as a safety pilot just in case. but no matter how hard I try, I just cant get myself to take off alone.

anyone else have similar experience? wondering how to get out of this and fly whenever I want again...like I used to

Something change at work or at home.??

Find the basis of your sudden loss of confidence and work on that.

Lot of changes in both work life and home. most of the changes are good changes and in the right direction but big changes nonetheless

600 hours…. the zone.

In the beginning you foolishly think you know what you’re doing. They certified you, after all!

Very high time pilot you actually know what you’re doing.

But when you hit this mid zone you’ve learned enough to know that you don’t know squat, really. It’s a good sign. It’s a sign some things are beginning to sink in, and your learning curve is starting to ramp up.

That could very well be, the funny part is I am 100% ok even if there is a pax onboard who doesn't know jack about flying

Do you know what precipitated this new found fear? Did you have a close call when flying? Been reading too many accident reports?

I am not entirely sure - no close calls or anything, but my head is somehow not in the game, or at least I feel that way. I am worried I will mess something up, get a violation or something silly like that. not worried about wings falling off, unable to land, loss of control, fan stopping or disintegrating in mid-air - if that happens it happens.

Lot of changes in both work life and home. most of the changes are good changes and in the right direction but big changes nonetheless

Is it possible you now have more to lose, more at stake? I know when those around me are having challenges that I think more about what would happen if I weren’t around (grief for them, maybe harder life...not that they won’t still be ok).

Just guessing. You said you have a lot going on. Maybe not bad, but a lot of change. Things to think about. So when you're alone, you think about things. The "safety guy" in your head knows that when you're flying the airplane, you need to have your head in the game. It doesn't want you flying around thinking about random garbage, compared to flying the plane. Sounds to me like you're fine. I'm a firm believer in paying attention to the little voices in your head that tell you to be cautious. Bring someone along. When you're done with whatever processing you need to do, you'll be fine.

Just guessing. You said you have a lot going on. Maybe not bad, but a lot of change. Things to think about. So when you're alone, you think about things. The "safety guy" in your head knows that when you're flying the airplane, you need to have your head in the game. It doesn't want you flying around thinking about random garbage, compared to flying the plane. Sounds to me like you're fine. I'm a firm believer in paying attention to the little voices in your head that tell you to be cautious. Bring someone along. When you're done with whatever processing you need to do, you'll be fine.

I think you are spot on. Thanks. Yeah lot going on in my life and I am still processing everything. I will keep chugging along.

Is it possible you now have more to lose, more at stake? I know when those around me are having challenges that I think more about what would happen if I weren’t around (grief for them, maybe harder life...not that they won’t still be ok).

quite possible. in one way or another, I need to find a solution because I still love flying and every time I fly the grin is there for a few days and look forward to going back up again

This. Pay attention to the voices in the head that keeps you alive. I am a very conservative flier, there are numerous instances where I cancelled because it didn't quit feel right.

That could very well be, the funny part is I am 100% ok even if there is a pax onboard who doesn't know jack about flying

That’s very interesting. If the theory that you have a lot on your mind that is subconsciously distracting you from flying, maybe the presence of another person grounds you. Your brain puts your worries “on hold” because the other person’s immediate presence becomes a higher priority, it takes your attention off the need to process all your other worries.

The tasks associated with flying should do this in any case, (become your primary focus), but you’re now experienced enough that it’s becoming more automatic and doesn’t require as much conscious focus, so your brain wanders to all the other stuff going on. The presence of someone else short circuits that process. Just a theory, this can be happening just below the level of awareness.

That’s very interesting. If the theory that you have a lot on your mind that is subconsciously distracting you from flying, maybe the presence of another person grounds you. Your brain puts your worries “on hold” because the other person’s immediate presence becomes a higher priority, it takes your attention off the need to process all your other worries.

The tasks associated with flying should do this in any case, (become your primary focus), but you’re now experienced enough that it’s becoming more automatic and doesn’t require as much conscious focus, so your brain wanders to all the other stuff going on. The presence of someone else short circuits that process. Just a theory, this can be happening just below the level of awareness.
I’m this way. There’s definitely a circuit in my brain that makes me think differently when I’m flying alone. I fly best with a novice with me and worst with a DPE.

however, flying is most therapeutic for me when I’m solo.

if your theory is right and I think you are, then at subconscious level i am being complaisant. we all know how that ends up.

I recommend you seek professional help. A 600 hour pilot unable to take off is not a normal level of anxiety.

https://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/anxiety-disorders

I was the one who used the “a” word. OP said it is a matter of “no confidence”. I wouldn’t jump to a mental disorder if this is a temporary reluctance to fly alone associated with stress because of unusual current life events. Although you could argue that it should then also apply to flying with pax. Can’t hurt for OP to review your link though just to be sure it’s not a pattern.

I'm right around 600 hours myself, I don't know OP, I think at times its changed quite a bit. So I might understand a little bit. One, I was flying over some think Valley Fog that went on for a good 60 miles in every direction. While origin and destination were free and clear, while I was up there it struck me...If I lose my engine, even though I could normally put it down, now I literally could not. I would have no way of knowing what was underneath me and whether hill or telephone pole. I have my IFR ticket, but this thick fog was literally down to the ground. For the first time, it hit me in a way it had not before, this is more dangerous than a lot of other places I have put myself into...It's not even a large reservoir or even a small crossing of the ocean, with my ELT to back me up. It was a pure, this is something I really need to be more aware of. With wife and 3 kids I know the worries too. I guess like anything else, take plane maintenance seriously avoid unnecessary risks.

At the same time, I remind myself the ancients had wisdom too:

"There was a merchant in Bagdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the marketplace I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture, now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me. The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the marketplace and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, Why did you make a threating getsture to my servant when you saw him this morning? That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Bagdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

We can't avoid our appointed time by living in fear.

Flying is safer than filming a western movie in NM...well, most of the time. :)

I am more worried about traffic causing an accident on my trip to and from the airport..50 miles round trip on a 2 lane highway.

Complacency is a valid concern. I don’t have suggestions, but I understand it. At 300 hours, it’s concerning to me too.

I am current, both legally and operationally. But there’s always a nagging feeling that I’m forgetting something. Even with checklists, I have caught myself missing minor items, usually the tail tie down chain. Or chocks, which admittedly are not on the checklist.

I’ve felt that way. The cure for me has been to fly more often. Get out and do maneuvers and pattern work every day for two weeks, then go land at an airport two hours away.

Or, decide it isn’t as fun as it used to be and sell at the top of the market, which is more or less now.

I am not entirely sure - no close calls or anything, but my head is somehow not in the game, or at least I feel that way. I am worried I will mess something up, get a violation or something silly like that. not worried about wings falling off, unable to land, loss of control, fan stopping or disintegrating in mid-air - if that happens it happens.

This weekends episode on the NPR show Hidden Brain (https://hiddenbrain.org) was on self doubt (also called imposter syndrome). It was particularly interesting when it occurs in people of above average accomplishment (And hey, we're pilots so we know we're above average :rolleyes: )who feel they are going to be "discovered as frauds" and how it affects our performance. Well worth a listen and maybe you're finding yourself in one of these periods.

Link to the podcast at that url above

You’re normal. Do not agree with the suggestion you’re suffering from a mental illness

The “E” in IMSAFE is there for a reason. All pilots can sometimes get into a batting slump.

Lots of changes = stress whether you’re aware if it or not. That is probably a part of it.

Maybe desensitize a bit. Just go do pattern work a few times. Then venture out and back a few times. You’ll reinforce that nothing bad happens when flying alone.

I went through a time of complacency.

I figured out that when I was solo, I had a tendency to be a bit slack. I'm not even going to admit the depth of my errors caused by haste.

I survived this tendency, and learned that when solo, I need to SLOW DOWN.

It was simple, and I got over it quickly. You can, too.

I recommend you seek professional help. A 600 hour pilot unable to take off is not a normal level of anxiety.

https://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/anxiety-disorders

I know this is 3-weeks old but I disagree here. Or if you talk to someone, talk to a clergy member or CFII that you don’t have to report for your medical.

I’m not suggesting you don’t get help when you need it, but if this is related only to flying (which is above average risk contrary to what folks here try to say) - why jeapordize your medical?

Anxiety creates headaches with the FAA. No benefit to an anxiety Rx in your charts.

I've not had that severe a problem, but the dangers of flying are on my mind quite often when I go fly. Even after over 20 years of airplane ownership.

I think it's healthy to have some safety concerns. At the end of the day everybody just has to decide if the enjoyment is worth the risk. For me it has been.

You now know enough that could get ya kilt. Or you need TRT?

Agree that both of these are also possibilities.
Lot's of things can affect testosterone. Stress, diet, sleep, exercise, age...
Easy to get checked... but not sure how it would affect a medical. And if you haven't looked into basic med, that's yet another de-stresser.

I would say you could start wearing a parachute....but that may influence you in other ways, and next thing you know you have a Taylorcraft and a YouTube channel.

and eventually, just the YouTube channel.

;)

Last edited:
Maybe it is time to get that instrument rating? Honestly, while I flew plenty of solo VFR when I was a VFR only pilot, I can say I never had the confidence I developed with my IFR. Despite the fact that instrument training requires you have someone next to you, there is something so isolating about being under the hood. I really learned to be comfortable in my own skin as a pilot.

Quit worrying - if a CFI won’t fly w/you, that’s when you should worry.

Exactly.

however, flying is most therapeutic for me when I’m solo.

No truer words have ever been said.

Have you flown with someone else completely at the controls, with you just as an observer? No pressure to fly at all?

My CFI was pushing for me to solo at 8 hrs. I wasn't having any of it. I kept fearing that I was going to plow the plane into the runway or fearing that I'd stall the plane a good 10-20ft above the runway. I'd never had a bad landing or even a hard landing. I even enlisted the services of another CFI and a taildragger at a tiny uncontrolled field to rack up a serious number of landings, which helped hone my skills...

...but there was still lingering doubt in the back of my mind.

Right before (1 hr) my solo flight, I got to ride in the back seat with my CFI instructing one of his IFR students. The student was a nice middle-aged man with a few hundred hours. It was quite the eye opener and confidence booster -- I wasn't anywhere near as bad of a pilot as I thought I was. He missed radio calls and at times the plane was well ahead of him. He also was getting confused with some parts of the approach which I figured out on-the-spot.

Then it was my turn. Did the 3 laps with the CFI in the right seat, no problem. On my first solo lap, the entire vacuum system took a dump mid-field. I didn't worry at all. In fact, I was quite angry at the airplane that it'd decide to do this at that particular time. I wrote-off the DG and attitude indicator, used the turn coordinator and VSI to fill in the gaps. I also had the ILS dialed up on the NAV radio and followed the glide slope. Did my 3 solo laps and wrote up the squawks. I hear so many people say that their first solo is this huge, emotional thing they'll never forget. For me it was just another day at the office.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back