Subaru 2-meter antenna mount

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
The Subaru is our steed to Oshkosh this year and it needs a 2m ham rig installed ... finally after owning the sucker for about 15 years. I don't like drilling holes but will do so if pressed. I also would prefer something where I wouldn't have to rip out half the interior panels to run the coax up to the glove box.

Anybody got a cleverness for me?

Jim

DSCF1034.JPG

LOL - Seriously, hitch mount or you can fabricate a steel or aluminum mount from under the car to mount the antenna? Try to use some of the rubber access plugs in your trunk to run the coax cable up through the body.

Alternatively (if there’s no good way), try taking out a twilight to see if there’s a good mounting location for a plate there. Then you can run the coax along the same wires as the twilight wires. If you have to drill,at least this area will be hidden by the tail light.

I sit in my living room with a quality 1/4 wave length aftermarket whip (in place of the standard rubber ducky) on my handheld and hit every repeater in the area no problem. I agree with tawood.

The Subaru is our steed to Oshkosh this year and it needs a 2m ham rig installed ... finally after owning the sucker for about 15 years. I don't like drilling holes but will do so if pressed. I also would prefer something where I wouldn't have to rip out half the interior panels to run the coax up to the glove box.

Jim

Jim,

How tough is it to set up APRS to forward text message? Seems everyone’s oriented to use packet radio for geolocation... but aeronautical texting would be great!

Paul

I put a trunk lid mount on my hatchback years ago. Works for even the heaviest HF antennas (I had a full size outbacker on my car). No holes required for the antenna, though you'd be well advised to do what you have to do to get a good frame ground on the system.

I have a few Diamond Lip mounts they work great.Of course if its temp, mag mount it. Right now I run an FT8900R in the truck and a 7900 in the work car. I can have the 7900 and all of it out in 10 minutes if the boss complains. But he doesn't.

I run a mag mount on top of the Ford Escape. Glass mount on the old Jeep. Can't use a glass mount on the Ford as it has metal tinted windows which wipe out the capacitive coupling between the inner and outer portions of the glass mount. I just run the cable from the mag mount into the car through a door. The radio is on a board on the floor behind the driver and the remote mounted control head is in the center console. Totally removable, should the need arise, without any modifications to the car. The only downside of the mag mount is that on a 2 lane highway a passing truck's bow wave can knock the antenna off the roof. Never had this problem in the past. Alloy used for the roof has too little iron content? I don't know.

Have a good trip to Oshkosh.

Ghery, N6TPT

I have a Diamond K400 trunk lip mount on the hood of my F150. It's the third vehicle it's been on since I bought it in the 90s. It works (I worked one of the Oscars from the parking lot at work back on '99 or '00 using this and a dual band whip) and requires no holes. There's a short length of RG174 type coax to snake out around the trunk or hood. Easy to stuff the cable through a firewall feed-through.

Jim

Mine has a Diamond or similar “gutter” mount clamped on to the roof rack just forward of the hatchback far enough that opening the hatch won’t hit the antenna.

The mount included tiny coax which isn’t great for loss numbers at VHF/UHF but isn’t awful either. I think it’s RG-174 or equivalent? That gets the cable inside easily by just running it through the hatchback with a tie off to the top of the gas strut or whatever mechanical stuff is up there so it doesn’t move around. Inside the vehicle it adapts to better coax.

The rig is an FT-847D mounted under the passenger seat. Head is removed and attached to a flexible “stalk” thing that bolts right on to a seat hold down bolt and comes up between the passenger seat far front and the center console and then is bent over and angled to aim at me.

The roof rack mount works fine for VHF and UHF as a “ground plane” (probably a bit directional but not much) and didn’t really need a better ground plane setup, but HF obviously isn’t as “happy” without some proper body bonding, so a thin crimp-on large ring terminal is under each of the antennas around the threads of the NMO mounts, soldered to small tinned copper braid and that is run down inside the hatch and attached to a body screw with paint removed under it. Radio is also bonded to the car frame under the pax seat with braid.

Another reason for those ground rings on the bottom of the antenna NMO mount is to make the gutter mounts work there’s a little sheet of scrap black rubber wrapped around the roof rack. Kept from scratching up the rack but also completely isolated the mount from the car body, so that had to be remedied.

Of course you know this but an antenna that doesn’t need as good a ground plane works nicer on that NMO mount on the roof rack than something like a quarter wave. A big multi trap co-linear is a monster performer on there but get the heavy duty mount or the ratchets for adjustment will strip under highway wind load at 75(+). 5/8s trap dual bander also works well. Well enough for FM work anyway.

Frankly the car is so old, the next time the expensive Diamond mount strips, it’s 3/4” hole-saw or metal punch time and the roof is getting holes. I didn’t do this particular install, dad did before he passed. I’d have drilled holes. Never had a single problem ever with a properly drilled and paint cleaned hole and a properly installed NMO mount. Not leakage wise, not RF behavior wise, no problems. Other mounts over the years have given good to horrible service depending on various factors.

But looking at his goals... no holes, no marks, two mounts, one on each side, one for VHF/UHF and one for an ATAS HF screwdriver, and the radio under the seat with a control head always accessible to the driver’s seat, and even a single-ear Heil headset and hand PTT for him, it was a perfect little setup.

The ATAS got damaged. The control head mount has all the screws worked loose (he should have locktite’d them) and the rig has a weird PLL lock problem now when it’s cold, so I really need to rip the whole thing out and start over. Haven’t had much interest in years though.

The folding tower is still laying in the back yard with all the antennas awaiting a hole and concrete and a lot of work. Thinking about just selling it all.

Looks similar but with a lot more gain than my winning Rover setup years ago. You don’t want to know how much money is in that antenna stack.

Those are probably all M-squared antennas. That’s easily a couple thousand bucks right there just in antennas. Not including feedline and all the radios for it.

Probably $5K or so worth of contesting gear on and in that vehicle.

We had a guy in our club that had a 30 ft tower that pulled out of the bed on his truck. Up and running in about 20 min. He was one of our ARES guys.....

We had a guy in our club that had a 30 ft tower that pulled out of the bed on his truck. Up and running in about 20 min. He was one of our ARES guys.....

Did he have a true whackermobile like they showcase on hamsexy.com ? :)

I once saw a bumper sticker that made me laugh...

“ARES: Getting in the way of real emergency services since 19XX...”

LOL.

It's all fun and games till they don't have comms! We supported all the SAR missions where there was no comms, mostly back country hikers and plane crashes in wilderness. It was fun while it lasted.

It's all fun and games till they don't have comms! We supported all the SAR missions where there was no comms, mostly back country hikers and plane crashes in wilderness. It was fun while it lasted.

Yeah. Mostly nowadays it’s “overflow”... go help man a radio at the shelter...

It’s really rare to do any actual comm for the emergency beyond the first few hours, and that’s all relayed and triage.

They bring out their multimillion dollar comm trucks that sit parked 350 days of every year.

The one area our local groups have helped is in shooting microwave shots to bring IP into an area that doesn’t have it due to an outage. Or doing it with satellite at lower data rates until the trucks with unlimited speed and lots more money than we can afford show up. Plus cellular COWs eventually get dragged to these areas.

Handing an incident commander an IP phone that works until he can order up satellite phones is always welcome. But it has little to do with actual comm work. And it only lasts about 48 hours max. After that the paid comm and IT people from FEMA and surrounding richer counties are showing up.

Sounds like mission accomplished to me!

Sounds like mission accomplished to me!

Yeah but it’s not matching the marketing wonk from ARRL and ARES as to what people really need to do... be experts on communications, and not necessarily on the ham bands nor even operating any radios.

It takes a LONG time to re-earn the trust of pro emergency responders after one Dudley-do-Gooder who’s clueless with his first $30 Chinese HT shows up and does all the usual useless things and nobody in leadership notices or has time to stop them.

“I took a 30 question multiple choice test about radios, showed up at one free ARES meeting, and now I’m here to tell you how to do your public safety jobs!” Oh, I always wanted to kill that guy.

Of course there’s the opposite too. Some 70 year old dude who shows up and wants to know where to set up the Morse code HF rig at the forest fire 10 miles out of town... LOL.

Ugh... herding cats.

I never experienced that. We were embedded with SAR. My backpack had most of their supplies plus my radio gear. We set up shoe box repeaters;solar powered. Most of us were EMTs. Self sustainable for 3 days. Perhaps we were more strict on who could volunteer, but clowns like that wouldn't even be admitted.

I used both trunk lid mount and the roof rack mount in the past. For the roof rack, I had aluminum cross bars in plastic cups, so it was perfect. I carefully scraped off the paint in a small area and used a piece of copper wire to provide the contact with a clamp, for which I repurposed a trucker's mirror clump. Similarly, the trunk lid mount had screws that went through the paint to provide contact. For some reason, the SWR for the rack was lower and with it being higher the overall performance was better with the same antenna whip.

I used both trunk lid mount and the roof rack mount in the past. For the roof rack, I had aluminum cross bars in plastic cups, so it was perfect. I carefully scraped off the paint in a small area and used a piece of copper wire to provide the contact with a clamp, for which I repurposed a trucker's mirror clump. Similarly, the trunk lid mount had screws that went through the paint to provide contact. For some reason, the SWR for the rack was lower and with it being higher the overall performance was better with the same antenna whip.

Possibly because the trunk lid has more resistance due to its somewhat isolated/insulated nature vs the rest of the body/frame. Really only 3 points of contact with the rest of the body - the latch and 2 hinges. Probably depends on the era of the vehicle too.

Possibly because the trunk lid has more resistance due to its somewhat isolated/insulated nature vs the rest of the body/frame. Really only 3 points of contact with the rest of the body - the latch and 2 hinges. Probably depends on the era of the vehicle too.

You can also bond the trunk lid to the vehicle with a piece of braid similar to my setup above, without any serious damage or visible to most people’s view of it.

I know HF mobile setups who do serious HF mobile who’ve bonded every body panel to the frame just to get a tiny bit more help in that regard. Most HF verticals are awful on vehicles.

Back