Stratux acting funny

Scott MacKie

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
sbmackie
Hello! Stratux for last two flight as given odd indications, and no traffic. Odd as in the GPS is giving me "sink rate" warnings, wandering, etc. I'm connected to stratux wifi, getting 'weak reception" message in upper left of foreflight.
Any ideas?
I'm new to Stratux, bought it used a couple months ago, has been working fine up until the last two flights. Antenna postion? Lame battery? No red lights showing on unit.
Thanks
Scott

Is the Stratux a home-built or a commercial version? Can you confirm the GPS receiver is plugged in securely? Is it a remote GPS (long cord with a blob on the end for the antenna), and if so, is the antenna puck in/very near a window so it has a good view of the sky?

Depending on the Stratux software version (or maybe RPi board version?), the Pi's status LEDs will do different things. For some, no red LED is good, and for others, no red LED is not good.

Don't know about home build. Bought it used. GPS receiver is internal, haven't cracked it open. How do I find software version?
With new battery (just connected) it is showing a red and green light, which it wasn't before. Perhaps the older battery wasn't producing enough power.
I was mounting it on the side rear window in a Cessna 150, Piper Pacer, and Cessna 172.

You might need to reflash it (firmware) as a cheap throw-darts fix.

Hmmm, get a chip from CrewDog? Watch youtube vidoe, execute, see what happens? And how do I tell if updated to current?

Hmmm, get a chip from CrewDog? Watch youtube vidoe, execute, see what happens? And how do I tell if updated to current?
With a USB cable plugged into a laptop you can reflash. Youtube has instructions: install a utility on the pc, download the Stratux file, then run the utility to copy that image file into the Stratux.

I haven’t dug out mine for a while, but I think you can connect to the Stratux wifi through a tablet or laptop and check some diagnostics.

Check all the internal connections and then reflash. After that, get the recommended gps module; they’re cheap and it’s plug and play.

I forget, you might need to know which RaspberryPi hardware you have. I think I remember there being an issue with newer firmware and older hardware. But that’s a vague recollection. Probably won’t hurt anything though. Let us know how it turns out!

Oh yeah, Stratux acting funny. I'm familiar with that. You need to spend a bunch of time doing reading and research. Then download and reflash. Possibly buy some new board, antenna, etc. Replace those and spend some more time and money on it. Then, it might work. If not you could do what I did and throw that crap in the trash where it belongs. After doing that, buy a Dynon DRX and not have any issues.

Oh yeah, Stratux acting funny. I'm familiar with that. You need to spend a bunch of time doing reading and research. Then download and reflash. Possibly buy some new board, antenna, etc. Replace those and spend some more time and money on it. Then, it might work. If not you could do what I did and throw that crap in the trash where it belongs. After doing that, buy a Dynon DRX and not have any issues.
I never learned to use my wife’s sewing machine either, and if I tried to use it with no idea what I was doing I’m sure it would be frustrating and I’d get feed up. Doesn’t mean it’s the machine that’s the problem, you know?

Stratux is a cool project, and works well when it’s configured properly. But despite the fact that people sell them as a “ready to use” product, it’s not a Dynon or Garmin or Stratus product. There are many, MANY combinations of hardware, some great, some crap, and some with compatibility problems. You do need to understand how it works and, if it breaks, you need to figure out how to fix it. It may not be obvious and it’s not going to fix itself.

YMMV. I built one myself about 6 years ago and it's worked flawlessly ever since. I also bought a second that someone else built for use at home and it's also worked flawlessly for the 1-2 yrs I've had it.

Exactly since I believe they have been discontinued...
there are some other alternatives. The Stratux I built during the first phase of popularity works fine but since most of the airplanes I fly have ADS-B in (including a few with permanently mounted Stratux), it was just too bulky as a backup. So a few years ago I bought a used XGPS 170. No AHRS (I don really care) but weather and traffic.

Funny thing - the airplane I use it in is the most technologically advanced airplane I fly. Diamond decided the best thing was to block the Garmin 345R feed to a tablet :rolleyes:

Don't know about home build. Bought it used. GPS receiver is internal, haven't cracked it open. How do I find software version?
With new battery (just connected) it is showing a red and green light, which it wasn't before. Perhaps the older battery wasn't producing enough power.
I was mounting it on the side rear window in a Cessna 150, Piper Pacer, and Cessna 172.
If it was working before mounted to the window, and you haven't changed that, then that's probably not the problem.

Erratic behavior due to inadequate power supply is a fairly common issue. If you're seeing different behavior with a new battery, then that might be the answer. Sounds like you're trying to keep it portable since you mention using it in multiple aircraft, but if it's practical in your situation you might consider getting a good quality USB power/cigarette lighter adapter (I'd recommend Anker or Aukey) and a good power cable to have a more consistent power supply available.

If you'd still like to know what software version you're running, try connecting your tablet to the Stratux and then use a browser and type 192.168.10.1 into the address bar to open the Stratux user interface. Software version should be at the top of the screen. If your new battery solves your issue and your Stratux is working again, I'd suggest you just continue to use it as-is. Newer software mostly only adds support for newer Raspberry Pi hardware and a couple of other features that you probably wouldn't notice. If you're not familiar with the process there's a little bit of a learning curve, so if there's not a compelling reason to update it's probably best to just leave it alone.

Exactly since I believe they have been discontinued...
Yes, unfortunately, though I don't know why. I don't think Dynon replaced it with another model either.

I never learned to use my wife’s sewing machine either, and if I tried to use it with no idea what I was doing I’m sure it would be frustrating and I’d get feed up. Doesn’t mean it’s the machine that’s the problem, you know?

Stratux is a cool project, and works well when it’s configured properly. But deslearnedpite the fact that people sell them as a “ready to use” product, it’s not a Dynon or Garmin or Stratus product. There are many, MANY combinations of hardware, some great, some crap, and some with compatibility problems. You do need to understand how it works and, if it breaks, you need to figure out how to fix it. It may not be obvious and it’s not going to fix itself.
Yes, I read PIREPS from some who have had a good experience with them. I wasn't one of those fortunate few. Mine worked for a bit then failed. I wasted a bunch of time learning about them, tinkering with it, buying replacement parts for it, driving back and forth from the plane, etc. I also had flights deprived of ads-b data due to it's unreliably.

Ultimately, for me, I just want something that's going to work reliably without wasting my time causing grief as well as costing money for repairs. I avoid certain automotive brands due to the same reasoning; that doesn't mean I don't know how to work on automobiles.

FWIW, I built my Stratux 8 years ago and it's still working about 1,000 hours later. No issues.
I've updated the firmware a few times, not because it really needed it but just for fun.

Yes, unfortunately, though I don't know why. I don't think Dynon replaced it with another model either.
I'd guess the limited market for portable ADS-B In units combined with the popularity of Stratus, Stratux, and units from Foreflight and Garmin.

The popularity of Stratux made me notice it - Foreflight and Garmin opened up to it fairly soon. I think they felt they had to. OTOH, while my XGPS works fine with FF (which I think now works with anything) it doesn't work with Pilot. Even a unit that used to be very popular isn't strong enough to get in.

I had a problem with mine a couple of years ago. I was powering it via an external battery pack plus a cable to the USB port, and my cable became intermittent. The erratic power apparently led to the SD card becoming corrupted.

I replaced the cable and ordered a new SD from CrewDog and that cured it.

I suspect the Stratux has minimal power conditioning, so you might want to ensure you always have a topped-off battery or a reliable external power source plus a good quality cable.

I haven’t used it since buying my Beech, though, as the plane has an installed Stratus.

I suspect the Stratux has minimal power conditioning, so you might want to ensure you always have a topped-off battery or a reliable external power source plus a good quality cable.
Raspberri Pi's are definitely unstable if the input voltage is too low. Can definitely be a problem with an older battery that's degraded or when using a cable with too high of a line loss.

Raspberri Pi's are definitely unstable if the input voltage is too low. Can definitely be a problem with an older battery that's degraded or when using a cable with too high of a line loss.
This may explain the issues I had with mine. My power will drop below 12v transiently every time my gear cycles.

This may explain the issues I had with mine. My power will drop below 12v transiently every time my gear cycles.
That seems a likely explanation.

Perhaps there is a correlation here that Stratux works better in airplanes having 28V electrical systems. :dunno:

My Stratux sits in a flight bag and gets plugged into a fully charged battery pack whenever I need it. There are times it doesn’t get used for months, most of the aircraft I rent have traffic and weather that I can connect to on my tablet so I don’t use the Stratux very often. I have needed to reflash a few times. I haven’t been able to tie the problem to it sitting for a long time and possibly discharging some sort of onboard battery. The testing I’ve been able to do seems like it’s related more to the shutdown sequence. Simply pulling power to the Stratux is one way, but opening up a network connection to the Stratux and telling it to go through the shutdown sequence is another way. I haven’t seen a problem requiring a reflash if I command the shutdown.

My Stratux sits in a flight bag and gets plugged into a fully charged battery pack whenever I need it. There are times it doesn’t get used for months, most of the aircraft I rent have traffic and weather that I can connect to on my tablet so I don’t use the Stratux very often. I have needed to reflash a few times. I haven’t been able to tie the problem to it sitting for a long time and possibly discharging some sort of onboard battery. The testing I’ve been able to do seems like it’s related more to the shutdown sequence. Simply pulling power to the Stratux is one way, but opening up a network connection to the Stratux and telling it to go through the shutdown sequence is another way. I haven’t seen a problem requiring a reflash if I command the shutdown.
What software version are you on? Later software versions eliminated the risk of corrupting the SD card if power is pulled.

What software version are you on? Later software versions eliminated the risk of corrupting the SD card if power is pulled.
I’ll check. I haven’t powered it up for a while so this will be a good test.

I’ll check. I haven’t powered it up for a while so this will be a good test.
It’s dead, Jim. This is what I see with mine. If it sits, unused, long enough, I need to reflash. I’ll see if I can find the latest firmware and reset it.

Looks like latest version is:
Stratux Europe Edition 1.6r1-eu028-us (May 29, 2022) (Edit: This is newer than my most recent download.)

I did see this note in the documentation:

"Garmin has recently introduced support for Stratux in their "Garmin Pilot" app, and it seems to work fairly well."

Last edited:
YMMV. I built one myself about 6 years ago and it's worked flawlessly ever since. I also bought a second that someone else built for use at home and it's also worked flawlessly for the 1-2 yrs I've had it.
Yep ... bought a Raspberry Pi kit from Amazon a number of years ago and it was flawless. I gave it away after installing Echo UAT (uAvionics) ...

OK - reflashed, all is well.

Version v1.6r1.eu028 (32d5e58bf7f)
I think you may have dropped a digit. At any rate, v1.6r18 is the latest version. Even if you choose a different version, if you're using the "EU" fork (which I recommend, as that's the one with the most recent development work), you'll want to make sure you get the "us" flavor that enables support for UAT (978) and 1090; the EU-specific version inhibits UAT and enables a different freq that's used over there.

You can get it here if you need it: https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/releases

Filename is stratux-v1.6r1-eu028-32d5e58b-us.img.zip (<-- that should be a direct link to the download)

I think you may have dropped a digit. At any rate, v1.6r18 is the latest version. Even if you choose a different version, if you're using the "EU" fork (which I recommend, as that's the one with the most recent development work), you'll want to make sure you get the "us" flavor that enables support for UAT (978) and 1090; the EU-specific version inhibits UAT and enables a different freq that's used over there.

You can get it here if you need it: https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/releases

Filename is stratux-v1.6r1-eu028-32d5e58b-us.img.zip (<-- that should be a direct link to the download)
Pretty sure that’s the image I downloaded. Will take a few days to be able to check it out for sure though. I do know it’s more recent than what I had.

Ah, yeah--I missed that the filename only says "r1" and not "r18".

I’m away from the computer I used for the download and flash, and the Stratux as well. When I get back I’ll verify the versions.

Fired up Stratux a minute ago. Version: v1.6r1-eu028 (32d5e58b7f)

It sat, powered off for maybe a week, then started up with no problem. I’ve seen this in the past. As long as it gets used regularly it seems to power up ok. But if it sits for several months I have to reflash. I’ll see what the latest version does.

As long as it gets used regularly it seems to power up ok. But if it sits for several months I have to reflash. I’ll see what the latest version does.
That's weird. I use my Stratux at home for occasional testing with EFB beta software, so it sits for weeks/months at a time between uses. For that matter, the Stratux in my plane sat for months when I wasn't flying during the pandemic. I've never had either fail to start up or have any other issue that required a reflash. ‍

I also got a used Stratux, thought it was a cool project. Bought a flash card, updated firmware, it bricked and I re installed the old firmware. Maybe an older Raspberry card? It worked though - sometimes. It would drop out, reboot, etc. at times. The attitude indicator function worked. At times. Signal was weak, had to have the tablet close to the Stratux. And it dropped out at times. Resetting the attitude indicator each time I used it was a pain.

I then spent the money and bought a new Stratus 3. I turn it on. It works.

Last edited:
Fired up Stratux a minute ago. Version: v1.6r1-eu028 (32d5e58b7f)

It sat, powered off for maybe a week, then started up with no problem. I’ve seen this in the past. As long as it gets used regularly it seems to power up ok. But if it sits for several months I have to reflash. I’ll see what the latest version does.
This release turned off logging which was the cause of SD card corruption when pulling power. I dug into the guts of it as I was trying to boot Stratux on non-PI. Pretty slick setup that has a read-only partition that creates a writeable space on boot.

When I first built my Stratux years ago, it didn't pick up any ADS-B stations. I thought maybe the antenna didn't have a ground plane. I wrapped a band of copper tape around the Stratux case and poked a hole in the tape where the ADS-B antenna screws in so it makes contact. BINGO! I was surprised that's all it needed. Over the years that tape has turned greenish brown but it still works.

Back before version 1.6r1, I never got a corrupted SD card but I do remember sometimes having to reboot the Stratux in flight. Shutdown, then unplug. Version 1.6r1 fixed that, apparently by not writing anything to storage.

Back