Straight Tail Lance

TCC

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TC
Can an IO-540-KIG5D on a 1977 non-turbo straight tail Lance be converted to a turbo and can I add a hot prop and de-icing boots? Thanks for your input.

Can an IO-540-KIG5D on a 1977 non-turbo straight tail Lance be converted to a turbo and can I add a hot prop and de-icing boots? Thanks for your input.
Not unless someone has a STC. Google it.

SA 529 WE by Ray Jay, you get to replace the engine. That should cost more than the plane is worth. See I googled it for you, took all of 30 seconds.

TCC, Paulie doesn't represent the entire POA forum. If he hasn't ran you off already by being a rude Richard Skull, stick around. I had to look up straight tail lance and for those like me that wondered what the other Lance was, its the T tail. So see, just by you asking a question, I learned something...so thanks.

1b615a2.jpg

RayJay did have a turbo option to add to the Lance. Seems like someone recently tried to piece one together. I'm not sure if you can still get the parts new or not to be honest. Sounded like it was more trouble than it was worth though. I have seen a FIKI conversion for the PA32(R) Saratoga, but not for the Lance. Here's an article from my own collection that discusses the RayJay turbo conversion:

Attachments

• Flying June 1977.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
The Google algorithm is not an industry expert. I often Google things and don't get anywhere near the results I was expecting. For example, in that other thread, I Googled where the airport center on a GPS was and got the most ridiculous results, see below

People join forums like these to be in a community of (relative) subject matter experts, and often times there is more than one correct answer, so the conversation is appreciated and educated for all involved.

I never understood people who join these forums just to b!tch about people posting instead of using Google. Then why did you join? Not unique to POA, see it on other forums as well

upload_2018-2-6_10-47-10.png

I had to look up straight tail lance
ha, me too! I was hoping it would have been something cooler like a Lance with a Mooney style tail or something.

ha, me too! I was hoping it would have been something cooler like a Lance with a Mooney style tail or something.

I love my straight tail Lance...she's a hauler!

Just for the others though, it's a difference between a conventional tail Piper Lance and a T-tail Piper Lance. For the most part, they operate very similarly. Takeoff and landing are the big places you'll see differences. Also, the T-tail Lance was offered in a Turbo version...the conventional tail Lance was not (from the factory).

lance-CB-Photo2.jpg

vs

Left%20feature%20no%20shades%20N54SS.jpg

Just for the others though, it's a difference between a conventional tail Piper Lance and a T-tail Piper Lance. For the most part, they operate very similarly. Takeoff and landing are the big places you'll see differences. Also, the T-tail Lance was offered in a Turbo version...the conventional tail Lance was not (from the factory).

lance-CB-Photo2.jpg

vs

those are both perdy. is one of those yours?

Can an IO-540-KIG5D on a 1977 non-turbo straight tail Lance be converted to a turbo and can I add a hot prop and de-icing boots?
As it has been said, anything is possible with the right amount of cash. Considering you want to change/add 3 separate items, while it is technically possible, I think it would be cost-prohibitive on several fronts. If adding the de-ice boots to allow flight into known icing conditions then I would say that is the deal breaker due to cost.

But for discussion, to accomplish all of it you would probably need 2 to 4 DERs and 1 or 2 DARs, plus all the fun of the FAA certification process. And during this entire project the plane would be unavailable. But even if you made it through, you would have a one-off aircraft whose insurance costs may increase and whose resale potential may be more limited.

Ah cool! I always loved the big single engine Pipers. My CFI flew a Lance for a while that he loved and there's a pretty Saratoga I see around SEE pretty often.

Flew Lances for CPC, CFI, and Part 135. A blast to fly primary low maneuvers in it.

SA 529 WE by Ray Jay, you get to replace the engine. That should cost more than the plane is worth. See I googled it for you, took all of 30 seconds.

^ This is why we can't have nice things.

Flew Lances for CPC, CFI, and Part 135. A blast to fly primary low maneuvers in it.

Except when your gear lowers for you during eights on pylons! Not that this ever happened to me...

The Google algorithm is not an industry expert. I often Google things and don't get anywhere near the results I was expecting. For example, in that other thread, I Googled where the airport center on a GPS was and got the most ridiculous results, see below

People join forums like these to be in a community of (relative) subject matter experts, and often times there is more than one correct answer, so the conversation is appreciated and educated for all involved.

I never understood people who join these forums just to b!tch about people posting instead of using Google. Then why did you join? Not unique to POA, see it on other forums as well

View attachment 59933
That's not the algorithm, that's those company's paying big dollars to google for the keyword GPS. Doesn't matter what you type those are coming up first. It's why google is going to screw them shelfs in the long run because it's becoming useless unless you are looking for the obvious retail companies.

Doesn’t it have an override for the auto gear extension?

Been 36+ years since I flew the Lances. I honestly don't recall 'Dog. Flew an Arrow 42+years ago and I know it did.

RayJay did have a turbo option to add to the Lance. Seems like someone recently tried to piece one together. I'm not sure if you can still get the parts new or not to be honest. Sounded like it was more trouble than it was worth though. I have seen a FIKI conversion for the PA32(R) Saratoga, but not for the Lance. Here's an article from my own collection that discusses the RayJay turbo conversion:

Probably a de-ice, not FIKI. Was it weeping wings?

Probably a de-ice, not FIKI. Was it weeping wings?

You may be right with the verbiage, but have seen weeping wings or inflatable boots, as well as hot props & TKS slinging props, window hot plate, tail feather TKS...

https://www.caviceprotection.com/products-services/ice-protection-systems/piper-pa-32

http://iceshield.com/Saratoga/

And then I know Piper had this back in the day...

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=f5751fd3-465b-4a55-8130-1edad657d696

lance-CB-Photo2.jpg

vs

PRETTY PLANES!!! Did you get your plane from Matt K. in Ohio?

Back