Stock Market Sell off

This is (well, one reason) why I'll never be wealthy - even when I know that now is the time to get in big, I'm too chickens*** to pull the trigger.
Now is NOT the time to get in big. That time was 2009. Unless you are a day trading type, now is the time to hold what you've got and start looking at where to set your stop orders.

What was funny (and sad in a way) was how many folks were out last weekend buying up as much ammo as they could.

Stocks are now mostly ahead of what they were yesterday...

I love it. Just made a quick 5% on something I bought a month ago.

Dow up 140.

Once one realizes markets are inherently unpredictable - if not totally random - it all makes a lot more sense.
I have to admit, considering the way the US market reacted to the FBI's antics the last couple weeks, I'm actually surprised that the market didn't drop today. I'm actually up quite a bit today….but I'm definitely using that opportunity to ratchet up the stop orders.

Yeah the dow is way up, didn't expect that. These 1 day or 1 week rises and drops aren't really all that significant for most long term investing though, the farther you zoom out on the graph the more consistently you see it rising in a fairly consistent but slow manner.

So....the regulations imposed on Wall Street will be removed. So it will encourage hedge funds, banks etc. To go back to they're old ways. It makes another 2007 a sure thing. Once again privatize profits, socialize loss. Just like last time in 2009.

Think big, think positive, never show any sign of weakness. Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high. Fear? That's the other guy's problem. Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the absolute carnage you are about to witness. Super Bowl, World Series - they don't know what pressure is. In this building, it's either kill or be killed. You make no friends in the pits and you take no prisoners. One minute you're up half a million in soybeans and the next, boom, your kids don't go to college and they've repossessed your Bentley. Are you with me?

"Hey, we're losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain't gonna f... my wife ain't gonna make love to me if I got no money!" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now, I can feel it.

I feel like Dan Akroyd today. There was a big fall in my life last night....

So....the regulations imposed on Wall Street will be removed. So it will encourage hedge funds, banks etc. To go back to they're old ways. It makes another 2007 a sure thing. Once again privatize profits, socialize loss. Just like last time in 2009.
You have a point, but I think the next crash will occur before anything Trump does will have any significant effect.

The seeds have already been planted. The global economy is ridiculously hollow. Not healthy at all and no one is doing anything about it.

L5JUpMKHlxyUW85_xEiRAoxHnLkVWjOF-L0I7TfB0gst7YNS-XDkjBfq9ABnK0WExSgDvMnP0xCBr0XmQLpzlpqgdpmaSlFLuYJB3QEaaHsRYfkQeg2r4x0E87kfDeXl8JFWmgQ2

upload_2016-11-9_17-1-1.png

Oh, nevermind.

Wall St banks already back, barely left the building.

Think big, think positive, never show any sign of weakness...
Once you have a man with no legs, you'll never go back.

Nauga,
and bacon; like you might find in a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich

Now is NOT the time to get in big. That time was 2009. Unless you are a day trading type, now is the time to hold what you've got and start looking at where to set your stop orders.

Thanks for that. I'm a long term guy, so it helps when someone slaps me across the face to calm me down.

airplanefreakout.jpg

LOL, yeah, no one really brags about their losses, do they? Everyone's a genius in the stock market. :rofl:

Lots of people brag about their losses these days, just like lots of people brag about their weird diseases and dubious allergies. I don't quite understand why.

Rich

Should that be, the sky is falling from together? My employer was up over 7% today.

I made a little money this morning by buying a broadmarket EFT at the opening bell. Lower taxes ,reduced regulation growth, and repatriation of overseas corporate assets will be great for the market.

Which is why the market is up.

Think big, think positive, never show any sign of weakness. Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high. Fear? That's the other guy's problem. Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the absolute carnage you are about to witness. Super Bowl, World Series - they don't know what pressure is. In this building, it's either kill or be killed. You make no friends in the pits and you take no prisoners. One minute you're up half a million in soybeans and the next, boom, your kids don't go to college and they've repossessed your Bentley. Are you with me?
DJT's first draft victory speech?

The story isn't the stock market.
The story is long bond rates up 10%. Market sees more debt coming, bigly.

The story isn't the stock market.
The story is long bond rates up 10%. Market sees more debt coming, bigly.
Talk of rebuilding (for real this time) the infrastructure? That's what we call "good debt." As opposed to political handouts. Maybe now retirees can actually live on their savings instead of getting 0.01% returns on cash or risk everything in an irrational market.

I just sold all shares in a financials ETF that I had in both my brokerage and my Roth accounts. It's yielded healthy returns, but I think it's peaked. The proceeds from the shares held in the brokerage account will go into my MMA for now. The revenue from the shares in the Roth have already been put into a Consumer Staples ETF that's been a good earner, but that's been a little sluggish the past few months.

Well-managed ETFs are my favorite investments. I have a knack for picking losers when I trade in individual stocks, but I've done well with ETFs from any of the well-known houses.

Rich

Talk of rebuilding (for real this time) the infrastructure? That's what we call "good debt." As opposed to political handouts. Maybe now retirees can actually live on their savings instead of getting 0.01% returns on cash or risk everything in an irrational market.

You'll get no argument from me. I wish they would have spent the infrastructure money years ago, when unemplyment was 12% and we could have borrowed it 10% cheaper. If it's good debt now, it would have been good debt then., but debt is still debt, gotta be repaid with interest. Actually better debt then, because it would have been less likely to kick off inflation. Oh, and don't forget the 7 trillion tax cut that's coming.
Bond prices move counter to interest rates, so your retirees just lost capital, unless they are holding the 30 year bond to maturity. If they live that long, add in the health care costs too.

Last edited:
You'll get no argument from me. I wish they would have spent the infrastructure money years ago, when unemplyment was 12% and we could have borrowed it 10% cheaper. If it's good debt now, it would have been good debt then., but debt is still debt, gotta be repaid with interest. Oh, and don't forget the 7 trillion tax cut that's coming.
Bond prices move counter to interest rates, so your retirees just lost capital, unless they are holding the 30 year bond to maturity. If they live that long, add in the health care costs too.

The earlier debt was stated for one reason but squandered. Tax cuts stimulate the economy which in turn increases tax revenues, even with lower marginal rates across the board.

The earlier debt was stated for one reason but squandered. Tax cuts stimulate the economy which in turn increases tax revenues, even with lower marginal rates across the board.

No proof it's worked yet, but you keep believin', bless your heart.

No proof it's worked yet, but you keep believin', bless your heart.
Yaah, bless you too. Let me guess; 90% marginal rates pre-JFK is what was responsible for the economic prosperity we had post-WW2, right?

Lots of people brag about their losses these days, just like lots of people brag about their weird diseases and dubious allergies. I don't quite understand why.

Rich
It's because they value being special and different more than anything else. Even if it's because they are retarded failures with the plague.

Good lord people are sure sensitive. Oh no we are having an election....sell...sell....sell! Oh wait, nevermind........oh no, some granny just pushed her shopping cart into a ford focus......sell.....sell.....sell.....oh wait nevermind......get me a sandwich!

Back