Stingy millennials to blame for sluggish economy

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by JOhnH, Oct 7, 2019.

1. wilkersk

wilkersk Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    KennyW
    You're a poster child for all the things the (I-work-3-jobs-and-can't-afford-my-rent) crowd doesn't seem to understand about economics, education, and capitalism. Thanks for that!

Ghery likes this.
  2. Skip Miller

Skip Miller Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skip Miller
    @MIFlyer I am not so sure... In a decade all these RVs will be called “Primary Residences”!

-Skip

3. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Agreed in full. Also a member of that cyclical hydrocarbon business, the past year and upcoming projections show a contraction in the US Shale business since demand and commodity prices have stayed relatively flat. Keeping spending in check and saving what you can is a good mantra no matter the economic outlook, but is especially important in industries that are subject to so much swing. Luckily, the US shale market has been relatively stable, even though it is down from industry highs earlier in the decade.

4. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    I should have been clear that I consider “modern” history to be something longer than the colonies have existed. 30 years is a speck of fly poop, historically, when it comes to countries. :)

The U.S. is still just a kid and has a very real chance of morphing into something it wasn’t intended to be in the next couple hundred years.

Bill Jennings likes this.
  5. chartbundle

chartbundle Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
    Sorry, the proper term is "Tiny Houses"

denverpilot likes this.
  6. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    I love on those shows where they spend as much for a tiny house and no land as they could have for a much larger old single wide with a proper lot/land that you could build from. yeah, not cool, but a place to live and you own the land

7. chartbundle

chartbundle Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
    We're building a tiny house community.... You mean a mobile home park? No, it's a tiny house community!

8. FormerHangie

FormerHangie En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerHangie
    Nah, they're not the same. Mobile homes are bigger and more comfortable.

chartbundle likes this.
  9. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    And during the summer they can fly - once.

Pugs likes this.
  10. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    Seriously, I'd rather live in a camper in a large shop like 50 by 100 than buy a house. The tax bills alone on housing is insane IMHO.

MuseChaser and MIFlyer like this.
  11. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    same here except SWMBO

12. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Isn't the difference between a mobile home park and a tiny home community that tornados don't have GPS coordinates for the latter?

Mtns2Skies likes this.
  13. MuseChaser

MuseChaser Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    MuseChaser
    The taxes on my house are more than twice as much, per month, than I ever paid for rent prior to owning a house. They're also more than the mortgage payments were on any of my three previous houses. I don't live in a mansion. It's on a little over 2 acres, and I paid just under $140K for it 20 years ago. I pay the government almost $8k a year to permit me to live in the house I own on the land I own. I have a septic system and a well, wood heat w/ propane backup, no natural gas available, and pay for my own garbage pickup. Good deal.

Sing it with me ... "I... Love... NEw YOOORRKKKK!!!"
    not.

14. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    I *only* pay $2k for around the same. (129k was appraisal 19 years ago) I do have NG though.

15. jspilot

jspilot Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    jspilot
    That article is terrible. People should be encouraged to save their money as recent history shows when people spend over their means disaster can and will strike!

Relating to the economy, the United States continues to be in an unbelievable situation because of negative yielding interest rates on government debt around the world. It’s absurd that countries like Germany are actually making money off selling debt because you( the lender) actually have to pay the government for them to borrow your money. My fear is all this artificial banking and “let’s make the economy strong by making money free to borrow”— essentially the entire worlds policy right now— is going to end extrodinarily badly. Companies continue to borrow money on epic scales and some are just buying their own stock back. All well and good and stock holders continue to benefit but these highly leveraged companies need to be careful! It does seem like Wall St is becoming wise to this trend based on the failures of most of the IPO’s recently that are companies that are unprofitable with piles and piles of debt. Last time I checked, companies are worth assets plus profits. Debt in this day and age seems to be a spark for increasing assets and I wonder if the extrodinary ease of borrowing money has led to an entirely problematic situation because without profits these companies don’t really own anything— the lender does.

Howard Wilson likes this.