STICKY: What's New, Different, Changed from vBulletin to XenForo

OK everyone. Thanks for some answers. I simply thought the first one was typical internet snark. I got over it quickly.

Good natured rib poking was intended. I took the "Sherlock" response in good humor.

Pointing out that a confirmation was annoying was aimed at the programmers.

If you guys support Tapatalk, make it so I don't have to read the ****ing tagline

"Posted from my piece of **** mobile device using crapatalk"

Hey, none of us give a **** that you use a stupid app to post.
That's a setting in the TT client. You just tell folks the auto-Sig isn't allowed on your forum and link to a screenshot of how to turn it off. You could even put it in you Sig! Heh.

Over on the Purple side, we simply set up a smiley that replaces tags like these with a blank.

That's a setting in the TT client. You just tell folks the auto-Sig isn't allowed on your forum and link to a screenshot of how to turn it off. You could even put it in you Sig! Heh.

My signature is better than yours LOL

I figured TT had been restored this evening after reading the CAP thread... :D

I figured TT had been restored this evening after reading the CAP thread... :D

God no. I had to do that the hard way!! :)

I don't mind the jokes. I'm giddy! Woooot!

Jason, just PM me an address and the bribe money and gifts will arrive quickly!

(I kid. I kid. I already see there's some detail of the whole donation thing that has closed it down... And I wouldn't want to be involved in any problems with that...!)

Look at the beautiful dark screen and only text!

Ahh! Lovely. Now if I could just cram an old Amber Wyse 60 in my pocket... :) :) :)

I know Jason is going to kick my ass in a few months when something breaks during an upgrade...

I'll just pre-apologize now and hope he doesn't shove his foot TOO far in...

8affde065bf9854a581e65068e02a924.jpg

I've searched for the old FAQ but didn't find it. Where is the info on how the slogan under your name changes after so many posts etc?
Like from pre takeoff checklist to the next and so on

I just found a feature that I didn't know existed. I happen to be a "happy clicker" - as I read through posts, I click, click, click, select text, double click, triple click, select, blah. I dunno, its just a weird tick I have.

But I noticed, when selecting text, that a new button appears that says "reply" next to the selection. Clicking it quotes the post and the selected text in the reply box.

That's snazzy.

On Chrome, I've noticed that xenforo autosaves posts, seemingly server-side.
I'm glad someone else pointed this out. I'm not a fan of this, personally. I get the benefit, but I'd rather not have a half-cocked idea that I have given up on being saved server side. Can you imagine the stuff I have chosen NOT to post, after reading some of the stuff I have chosen TO post?

Many shudders on that one.

Thank you for TT working again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YHGTSM, right?

Sigh.

Can I request that we get penis enlargement popups and popunders too?

Last edited:
Turn this ****ing **** off!!

Nahh, don't turn it off. Have the software change the words "sent from", "tapatalk" and/or "TT" to something completely different. Like a rotating favorite meme. Here's my vote for the first one:

42922-humorous-memes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1454548001.520128.jpg

Hey, none of us give a **** that you use a stupid app to post.

I usually just plain forget to turn off the setting when I install on a new or wiped device. I find it less annoying to scroll past than some of the obnoxious sigs, at least.

oh for Pete's sake ... we're so damned hair triggered towards being offended that we have to post a rant versus simply scrolling on by ...

"posted from Safari from my Mac" or maybe it was my iPad ... or maybe my iPhone ...

Nick,

The problem is people can turn off sigs. You need that in the main body of your post in size 7 font.

Nick,

The problem is people can turn off sigs. You need that in the main body of your post in size 7 font.
I think the signature is a good parallel then. You could turn off the TapaTalk popup (or signature, for that matter), but the principle is that you shouldn't have to - it shouldn't exist to begin with...

Yeah, but unless we ignore the user we still have to read about their penis enlargement.

By the way, how shoddy of a piece of software must TapaTalk be to require a plugin be installed to use it? Really? It can't just scrape the forum and do the same thing??

I'm glad someone else pointed this out. I'm not a fan of this, personally. I get the benefit, but I'd rather not have a half-cocked idea that I have given up on being saved server side. Can you imagine the stuff I have chosen NOT to post, after reading some of the stuff I have chosen TO post?

It saves a draft every 60 seconds as you type. It keeps it for 24 hours on the server, then it goes away forever if you don't do anything with it.

It saves a draft every 60 seconds as you type. It keeps it for 24 hours on the server, then it goes away forever if you don't do anything with it.
So the question is, how do the rest of us capture Nick's "non-posts" before they go away?

:goofy:

By the way, how shoddy of a piece of software must TapaTalk be to require a plugin be installed to use it? Really? It can't just scrape the forum and do the same thing??

Screen scraping would be insanely more shoddy. That's amateur hour.

Ok ok. Here's the thing, Nick. You got ****ed at us when you thought we weren't listening to the community and now you're mad that we are. I didn't want it either but the demand was there and it's within our capabilities to offer it. Let's just get back to bitching about all of the other choices that were made like God intended.

So the question is, how do the rest of us capture Nick's "non-posts" before they go away?

:goofy:

Now THERE'S an idea whose time has come! :D

first ignored thread. gotta love people bitching about sht they're not even using. especially when it overloads what's supposed to be a useful thread but turns it to complete sht.

Amateur hour like spreading virus-like popups all over the internet and having people actually pay for it?

Previously asked and answered. You apparently frequent websites operated by idiots who shouldn't be operating websites. Seriously. If they can't figure out how to stop that from happening, they're probably a danger to themselves and others. Haha.

Ok ok. Here's the thing, Nick. You got ****ed at us when you thought we weren't listening to the community and now you're mad that we are. I didn't want it either but the demand was there and it's within our capabilities to offer it. Let's just get back to bitching about all of the other choices that were made like God intended.
Fair point.

Although, I imagine many of the same arguments were made when pop-up blockers came around. They did finally kill off the pop-ups and popunders. The frustrating thing is that you didn't have people arguing for the value they provided.

Our Internet culture has become dumb as hell.

I'll drop it now. As long as you have the pop-up blocked so I never see it here, I will just pretend that logic prevailed.

I sure would be happy if someone devised a pop-up blocker to fix it on the rest of the Internet tho. Despite @denverpilot 's claims that it is easy to disable, it sure seems like most sites don't do it, so it can't be as easy as a simple config.

Previously asked and answered. You apparently frequent websites operated by idiots who shouldn't be operating websites. Seriously. If they can't figure out how to stop that from happening, they're probably a danger to themselves and others. Haha.
I'm gonna write a really cool logbook app. It will automatically calculate everything you need for the 8710 and even submit the form for you. It will only cost $30.

Oh, it also steals your SSN and sells it to Nigeria, but if you dig into the code you can disable it. Also, those who don't use the app but visit a site where others do use it, it will steal their SSN and sell it. They can buy my app and if they do, I promise not to steal their SSN.

But hey, they shouldn't have gone to the site where the admin wasn't smart enough to hack the code and remove the feature. It's not my fault they had their SSN stolen and sold.

Fair point.

Although, I imagine many of the same arguments were made when pop-up blockers came around. They did finally kill off the pop-ups and popunders. The frustrating thing is that you didn't have people arguing for the value they provided.

I'll drop it now. As long as you have the pop-up blocked so I never see it here, I will just pretend that logic prevailed.

I sure would be happy if someone devised a pop-up blocker to fix it on the rest of the Internet tho. Despite @denverpilot 's claims that it is easy to disable, it sure seems like most sites don't do it, so it can't be as easy as a simple config.
It is just an option. I've disabled as much as I can.

I think a better way to describe it is "Computer people pretend this stuff is hard and people buy it." It pays your bills and mine, I guess.

Mixed with, "Software companies have always gathered data on their users," and "The Net was commercialized almost three decades ago."

Relating an illegal activity, identity theft via SSN, to advertising which isn't illegal is a bit much.

Ads keep the lights on at Google, apparently now Microsoft, Facebook, pretty much every large website out there. Even Wikipedia has ads begging for money constantly.

Jason asked me to do a short write up for PoA to explain the "reasonable" settings for users in TT and why (including turning off the darn signature line thing, even if there is a way to code things to make it essentially disappear) and I'm hoping to get to that tonight. Still their choice, but a doc showing the choices that are the best for not annoying everyone isn't a bad idea at all.

Couple of screenshots, and a little background on why to store photos on the site and not at TT, how to turn off the sig, and info on the difference between using a TT login and a real site login. All info some folks might not dig in and find otherwise.

Just got doggies a bit ago and currently grabbing whatever this evening's non-caffeinated drink (so I'm not up all night... hopefully anyway... didn't work last night), at the 7-11 in town before heading out to the prairie.

If you want to fire up TT and beat me to it... ;)

Alright, I hate the feature where it remembers what you were gonna type.

I started to type this big long thing but skipped it.
Then I went to quote someone in a thread and it included all the stuff I had started to type too.

If I am quoting a post, it should give me the quoted text and a blank slate.

Then I went to quote someone in a thread and it included all the stuff I had started to type too.

That is a little weird, unnerving.

I think if you clear out the box before leaving the post you decided not to post, it'll save the "empty" state, but I'm not sure.

I guarantee that the first time your computer crashes when you were in the middle of typing a long post, you'll love the feature.

I think Nate is right--clear the compose box if you decide not to post something, and it should remove it from the saved state. In 60 seconds. :)

What I haven't tested is... does it keep the saved message in a per-thread context? In other words, would it save THIS message for THIS thread, and a DIFFERENT one if I started composing something on a DIFFERENT thread, or would THIS saved text appear in the compose window of all threads? Hmmm. Don't have time to test it right now.

I guarantee that the first time your computer crashes when you were in the middle of typing a long post, you'll love the feature.

I think Nate is right--clear the compose box if you decide not to post something, and it should remove it from the saved state. In 60 seconds. :)

Deleting hasn't worked for me, but that may be because I've been closing the window it was displayed in right after deleting. I will try leaving the window open for 60 seconds after deleting.

What I haven't tested is... does it keep the saved message in a per-thread context? In other words, would it save THIS message for THIS thread, and a DIFFERENT one if I started composing something on a DIFFERENT thread, or would THIS saved text appear in the compose window of all threads? Hmmm. Don't have time to test it right now.

It appears to be thread-specific. For example, a few minutes ago, there was a saved draft appearing for me in the EAA thread, but not in this thread.

Back