STICKY: What's New, Different, Changed from vBulletin to XenForo

I think I'll miss Tapatalk -- I actually liked it as a client. But otherwise, I like where this is going!

Easter egg - Avatar GIFs don't work anymore in threads. The end of an era for one poster. RIP Spastic Toad :(

On the old site, threads could be displayed with most recent post at the top, instead of the bottom. Is there a way to do this on the new site?

People actually used that setting? That's like reading a book backwards.

Easter egg - Avatar GIFs don't work anymore in threads. The end of an era for one poster. RIP Spastic Toad :(

Very sad indeed. I also miss the larger avatars.

Last edited:
So, since it looks like all the positive "First" banners got taken already, how do I get a "First Banned" banner??

So, since it looks like all the positive "First" banners got taken already, how do I get a "First Banned" banner??

So who would earn the "Most..." banner? :D

Jason must be jammin on the Red Bull... I see the "Legacy Smilies" button that wasn't there 45 minutes ago.

1.Is there a "full site" version on mobile? I dislike going into every topic to see the newest activity in each category.

2.Is there a way to display the most recent poster's name in each thread instead of just the OP's without opening the thread ?

1.Is there a "full site" version on mobile? I dislike going into every topic to see the newest activity in each category.

The new posts button is still there on my mobile devices.

2.Is there a way to display the most recent poster's name in each thread instead of just the OP's without opening the thread ?

The last poster is shown at the right side of the screen on on the "new posts" page on my mobile devices. It's shown if I click on individual forums also.

[/QUOTE]"new posts" works I suppose, but it makes me look at the the news post in all categories. I liked the overview of looking at the forum lists and being able to see what was the most recent posts in my favorite subtopic at a very quick glance.

Turn it landscape

2016-02-24 07.07.26.png

@jason

The link to the rules of conduct in this thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...ead-rules-of-conduct-have-been-updated.86958/

Seems to be broken.

It also seems like I've seen the RoC posted somewhere else here on the new site but can't find it. Maybe I'm misremembering.

The RoC on this new site are in the Help section (there's a link to help at the bottom). The direct link to the RoC is simple (/help/RoC after the base URL):

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/help/RoC

@jason

The link to the rules of conduct in this thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...ead-rules-of-conduct-have-been-updated.86958/

Seems to be broken.

It also seems like I've seen the RoC posted somewhere else here on the new site but can't find it. Maybe I'm misremembering.

The RoC are under "home" "help". However, I can't find a direct way to navigate to "help". Maybe I'm missing it. I got there by clicking on "Terms and Rules" at the bottom right of the screen. Then once on the "terms of service and rules" screen one can back-up into "help" by clicking on it in the upper left "blue file tab".

The home button goes to "forums" instead of "home." Maybe that's the problem...something we talked about in the beta site also.

The RoC are under "home" "help". However, I can't find a direct way to navigate to "help". Maybe I'm missing it. I got there by clicking on "Terms and Rules" at the bottom right of the screen. Then once on the "terms of service and rules" screen one can back-up into "help" by clicking on it in the upper left "blue file tab".

The home button goes to "forums" instead of "home." Maybe that's the problem...something we talked about in the beta site also.
Click on the hamburger stack (quick navigation) on the right side at the top of the page. At least it's there in Safari on a computer.

Click on the hamburger stack (quick navigation) on the right side at the top of the page. At least it's there in Safari on a computer.
Bottom right hand corner on both desktop and mobile.

Top hamburger stack.

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 8.50.03 .png

Bottom hamburger stack.

Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 8.50.21 .png

What if I'm vegetarian? I demand a veggie menu!

How do we see the thread (s) we are participating in?
Look for a small copy of your avatar superimposed on the thread starter's avatar when you look at the listing of threads.

Look for a small copy of your avatar superimposed on the thread starter's avatar when you look at the listing of threads.
Sorry, I've parsed that sentence every known way, and can't make it out.

Where is the "thread starter", and where should I be looking at a "listing of threads"?

Sorry, I've parsed that sentence every known way, and can't make it out.

Where is the "thread starter", and where should I be looking at a "listing of threads"?

See screen capture...my icon is superimposed in the corner of EdFred's.... (under Title in the blue bar)

Screenshot from 2016-02-24 12:55:37.png

I just noticed the arrow thing isn't actually working on imported threads either. It just takes you to some random place in the middle of 40+ pages instead of the first post, like the title does.*

I clicked on the arrow in the Stratux thread and it took me somewhere above my fourth or fifth post ago.

Ick. Definitely lost the "read posts" metadata of what you had really read so far -- somehow in the import. Oh well.

UI/UX wise: I got a laugh out of the idea that one could just pinch/zoom. Works fine on iPad. Not going to do that one-handed on iPhone. All the scrolling and tapping and target shooting on iPhone is why I always download native apps for stuff I use. I don't go to websites on iPhone, I go get the company app. Amazon, FB, Twitter, hell even Starbucks (but that's more for the ability to scan the card from the phone), even making a range reservation at my shooting club (they use MemberMe), campsite lookups through Good Sam, Woodalls, and KOA... Local TV and national news sites...

You name it, all done with real mobile apps made for thumbs. Never the web if I can avoid it. It's why apps exist. To tailor the UI and UX to the intended interface and standard OS widgets.

In TT I would have had all posts today read and marked as such by now while sipping coffee on a break. Could even "long hold" on any thread to instantly mark it read without even opening it. A real phone interface.

Other UI weirdness on iPhone. Cut and paste a paragraph above another and then watch the screen scroll three paragraphs up for no particular reason. What is that weirdness? My cursor is still at the end l the pasted paragraph, why did the box scroll up half a page?

Compared with a real mobile app, the UI on iPhone is pretty dreadful. If you've never used a real mobile app it probably seems way better.

* If you haven't hit "mark all as read" which I haven't yet because I'm trying to "catch up" and I actually value having read the stuff... which with all of this sliding and tapping around may take a month. Not a good UX experience on iPhone. Sigh. Maybe I'll catch up on vacation. In July. Or December.

When you finish posting a new reply on iPhone it scrolls to the TOP of your new post. That's goofy. It should leave you BELOW it. LOL. Where the "New Posts" button is. Not ^^ up there somewhere.

I don't need to read my own post, silly browser. If I want to do that I'll scroll BACK.

Clicking on a thread title that does NOT have any new posts takes me to post number one. Any way to tell it to take me to the bottom of the thread?

Any button to go to last post on a thread with noting new in it, that I'm not seeing?

The usual reason to click on a thread you've already read would be to add something to it. Not to read the first post again. That's done at the bottom, right?

image.png

Oh look. I just got a notification on iOS on both my iPhone and iPad that someone quoted one of my posts on another forum... and I got to go read what they said right away. Nifty!

Well at least I know it wasn't PoA! LOL.

Filed under: More stuff Tapatalk does that XF can't when you're not on the web page with the browser active in iOS. Not even sure on iOS if it'll even do it then. And it'll be a pop-up that disappears, and isn't available by swiping down and looking at all Notifications in the OS later...

They said something really funny too. It was worth swiping on and auto-launching TT which went directly to the posted reply. Ohhhhh PoA can't do that... What a shame...

And hey look. The TT badge updated with number of unread things to read later. Whoa. Amazing what a real iOS app can do. Hahaha. I can even turn it on and off at the iOS level! Awesome.

Oh look I can swipe things just like in other native apps to get options. Huh. Cool. LOL. And a little arrow drop down brings up buttons that are thumb sized. Check out the attachment!

I know I'm probably talking to a brick wall but the iOS app kicks this interface's ass six ways to sideways. Because it's integrated with the OS. Go figure.

There's another weirdness. Why does it attach the attachment up at the top of the post instead of where the cursor is in the post? I'm not going to go cut and paste it down to where it was supposed to be on a phone.

Clicking on a thread title that does NOT have any new posts takes me to post number one. Any way to tell it to take me to the bottom of the thread?

Any button to go to last post on a thread with noting new in it, that I'm not seeing?

The usual reason to click on a thread you've already read would be to add something to it. Not to read the first post again. That's done at the bottom, right?
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...-new-forum-software.90218/page-7#post-2024166

Even if you don't have any unread posts in a thread, clicking on the link that says "x minutes ago", under the poster's name, will take you there. I'll admit it doesn't look much like a link, but it is.

Even if you don't have any unread posts in a thread, clicking on the link that says "x minutes ago", under the poster's name, will take you there. I'll admit it doesn't look much like a link, but it is.

Yeah, and it doesn't say "xxx minutes ago" if the post was yesterday... it shows the date. But okay... that's completely non-intuitive... but helps.

I guess. It's still not even close to useable with a thumb on an iPhone. It's beyond tiny.

Even the title itself is so close to the username who posted it, that it's about a 50/50 shot on an iPhone whether you go to content, or get a pop-up of the person's avatar and stats. (Because you hit their name right below the title with your thumb.)

I had to fire up a full browser on the desktop to even bother posting this, the iPhone interface is really THAT annoying. But I'm trying to keep up with this thread to know the weird things so I can at least navigate it when I'm in a good mood and feel like seeing just how tiny a spot on the phone that I can make a 1" thumb actually hit.

It's the new PoA video game... "See if you can hit the tiny stuff on your phone, old man with bifocals!" Haha... ;-)

Maybe I'm weird. Does anyone else regularly use PoA from a phone? Or is everyone "compensating" by digging out the entire iPad?

I hardly use my iPad at all for anything but ForeFlight and Kindle Reader, since I got the iPhone 6+... and maybe "real web surfing"... which is what PoA is going to have to be from now on, I guess.

All my other "social media" stuff is done with Apps on the big iPhone. They Notify, they Badge, they work. All in an iOS correct way. PoA did also via Tapatalk. Now it doesn't. Oh well. I suspect the addiction will fade quickly with bothering to fight with the new interface on a phone, and I'll either grab the iPad, or just not bother.

Not saying that to be mean, just honest. I don't bother with the iPad for anything else already, the phone is way more convenient, since it's on me at all times.

I used POA from the phone last night and in the middle of the day today. I had also been using the phone during beta testing. I don't usually try to make long posts from the phone, but I didn't using Tapatalk either. Not to mention the fact that my post never rival yours in length!

I may have the advantage of having smaller fingers, but I doubt my old eyes are any better...

Back