Stick or yoke

Tell that to all the 120,140,170,180,185,190,195, owners.

Or Swifts, or Wacos, or Stinsons, or Spartan Executives, or just about any of the larger or twin tail draggers, or the Seabee (it's amphib but it's got a tailwheel),

Never flown with a stick, but I'm used to seeing them with left throttle. What stick models have right throttle??

All of the stock RVs with side-by-side seating have a center throttle so that makes it a "right" throttle for a pilot in the left seat.

IIRC the Sonex 2-seaters also have the same center throttle arrangement.

I like either, but I dislike the 162 stoke. It just doesn't feel right to me to slide for ailerons. I like the plane but dislike how you control it.

The Cirrus side stick is nice but I'm not use to flying with my left arm anymore. So after flying the Cirrus for a few hours my arm hurts.

Learned in Cub so am naturally inclined to right stick, left throttle. Never had problems in my Swift or Stinson with yoke and center throttle, even when switching from one to the other within minutes. Left stick, right throttle feels least natural to me, but not problematic. Flew a pre-war Aeronca Chief with left stick first and did okay. Also same in Fairchild 24.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Never knew any planes were for XC only. Does that mean that I should stop flying my Mooney to the several airports that are 15 nm or less from my hangar? Or doing pattern work, especially for my 3 full stops at night?

Or are the XC-only planes limited to Cessna and Piper?

Never flown with a stick, but I'm used to seeing them with left throttle. What stick models have right throttle?? And someone please post a picture of a "stoke," never heard of that nor ever seen a 162.

Let me clarify. XC only = Flying machines that generally stay right side up at all times regardless of manufacturer. Better? By all means keep flying your Mooney however you'd like ;-)

My Jabiru, center stick left and right throttles nothing in front or between me.

I had about 80 hours in an OMF Symphony with a standard stick before transitioning to a Skyhawk yoke. I would say the transition was a challenge for me, but it felt comfortable after a few hours.

I like flying with a stick better, but it cockpit management (e.g. reading charts, etc.) a little more difficult since there is less room to put stuff on your lap.

I can fly either but I will always prefer right hand stick and left hand throttle.

now that's interesting. I'm right handed but prefer a right hand throttle and left hand stick/yoke. the Remos LSAs that I'm learning have both a right and left hand throttle. I tried the left side throttle but it felt very strange.

Throw over yoke please. Long forgotten advantage: don't have to worry about that pesky PAX grabbing the stick/yoke at a bad time (young kids make me the most nervous). Also gets one more thing out of the way when loading/unloading the aircraft.

But yea, a stick seems to be "cool" for some reason - even if it is in a DA20...

Those you have flown both stick and yoke airplanes do you have a preference to the control type? I never flown stick so it would seem awkward to me.

Just wondering your preferance.

I have come to not much care, they all work just fine. I do like the side stick/yoke deal, it's nice having your lap clear.

All of the stock RVs with side-by-side seating have a center throttle so that makes it a "right" throttle for a pilot in the left seat.

IIRC the Sonex 2-seaters also have the same center throttle arrangement.

The Avion Robin had a dual throttle, left and center, and it had a 'yoke stick' that came out of the panel with a single vertical handle. I always liked that set up for ease of entry and exit. I think the C-162 uses the same set up.

I had & have almost all my time in 172s. I took a demo flight in an Evektor SportStar a few years ago. I told the demo pilot instructor (and the assembled pilots) that I had never flown from grass before and had never flown anything with a stick. The response (from assembled pilots) was "The grass will take you 30 seconds to get used to. The stick, half that."

I guess they were right. I did the whole 30 minute flight myself (verbal instructions from the demo pilot and he may have followed on the landing, but I didn't notice) and never though about the stick after the first little bit of the takeoff roll. I did steep turns and a couple of stalls to get a feel for the plane, then landed it.

Nice flying plane BTW. A little sensitive in roll for my tastes then, but I was used the Skyhawks.

John

Thought I would hate a side stick until I started flying one. It makes the cockpit clean and roomy. Love it. Not sure I could go back.

Of course a stick. It's gotta have crazy buttons all over it that you rarely use as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 30
only stick I've flown was the cirrus and I have no preference side stick or yoke other than it IS nice to have the open space in front of me. Would be really nice in the mooney to not have the yoke there.

This was the best thing I ever flew. A stick that isn't in the floor or in the way. The Auster, a British-built beefed-up version of the Taylorcraft had modified the T-craft's wheel-type control arch, shortening it and mounting a couple of sticks where the wheels used to connect. The geometry of the bellcranks was changed to permit full control throw with less angular rotation. The only odd thing, and it became natural after a minute or two, was that the stick went up as well as forward, and down when pulled back.

This one has one stick and one set of rudder pedals. Many had dual controls.

IMG_0405.JPG

Dan

One of the few high wings I like. Guy at the local airport has a brand new one. Little tight up front but plenty of room behind the seats.

One of the few high wings I like. Guy at the local airport has a brand new one. Little tight up front but plenty of room behind the seats.

It is a bit tight up front. Decent head room in front of the spar. I can get comfortable enough for 3-4 hour legs.

The baggage room was one of the selling points. It's a 4-place in other countries. Plus it was certified at 1640# and down-rated to LSA. Here a picture loading wine at Santa Maria, CA.

Attachments

• loading wine.JPG
    loading wine.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 14
So you fly from the right seat? I've done the same but to get the center stick in my right and center throttles in my left. :)

I'm left handed; my preferences are almost certainly due to training, not any physiological reason.

Nauga,
and his apelike arms

There was this Aussie built trainer, Air Victa or something like that, it had a stick between the seats.

So you fly from the right seat? I've done the same but to get the center stick in my right and center throttles in my left. :)

I'm left handed; my preferences are almost certainly due to training, not any physiological reason.

Nauga,
and his apelike arms

I use the left out of habit. Left handed too so the right might be better. Throttle on either side.

Eric

Last edited:
Stick for sure. However, I will say it's easier to fly an ILS with a yoke. But give me the stick all day long. As for the ease of transition, it's totally natural and easy as pie.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
5f30c067dc5f6dd2e1a6ad59a322b2f81111816f

I flew a General Avia F-22 Penguino for sale that had sticks, left/right throttle, and a push throttle in the middle.

I should have bought that plane. It flew fast and sweet. Slider canopy. Military specs. Trailing link gear that looked like aircraft carrier quality and just a beautiful plane to boot.

What scared me is it was like one of two registered here. When I asked about parts, I got an earfull. :sad:

Jabiru is Aussie from Bundesburg. Center stick and throttle on either side.

Yeah, the designers probably learned in a Victa, it's a popular trainer in Aus, it's even aerobatic. It's not a bad little plane, performance is bit better than a 150/152.

5f30c067dc5f6dd2e1a6ad59a322b2f81111816f

I flew a General Avia F-22 Penguino for sale that had sticks, left/right throttle, and a push throttle in the middle.

I should have bought that plane. It flew fast and sweet. Slider canopy. Military specs. Trailing link gear that looked like aircraft carrier quality and just a beautiful plane to boot.

What scared me is it was like one of two registered here. When I asked about parts, I got an earfull. :sad:

Italians build beautiful things, functionality comes second, maintain ability is somewhere between 53 and 57 on the list depending on the project.:lol:

Italians build beautiful things, functionality comes second, maintain ability is somewhere between 53 and 57 on the list depending on the project.:lol:

I read the same thing that Stelio Frati would not design an ugly aircraft. Style and appearance were at the top of his list.

Back