Stick or yoke

Yeah, the designers probably learned in a Victa, it's a popular trainer in Aus, it's even aerobatic. It's not a bad little plane, performance is bit better than a 150/152.

And the J230 is a bit better than a 172.

I've flown a lot behind both and don't mind either, but in a taildragger a stick feels much more natural to me.

I read the same thing that Stelio Frati would not design an ugly aircraft. Style and appearance were at the top of his list.

I've worked a few Baglietto yachts, beautiful things they were, maintenance wise though, a complete nightmare. Nowhere in the design was it apparent that anyone understood that systems need to be accessible for service and repair. But damn, it was living in a piece of art. As big of a PITA as they are, I still love living on them. The funnest part about them is that you get to be artistic in the repairs because basically you have to redesign things to make them serviceable, and the boss lets you spend all the money you need to make it all just as beautiful.:D

I think I saw a few comments that controllability is the same, and I agree.

From a comfort standpoint I find it easier to rest my forearm on my leg and use thumb and forefinger on the center stick of my RV-6A than to rest my elbow on the armrest of the 177RG, PA32-300, or PA28-180.

When flying yokes I sometimes initiate left turns when distracted.

I'm guessing at the end of the day the stick vs yoke is right up there with high wing vs low wing or tail wheel vs trike. Oh and throw in the throttle quadrant for good measure. :)

And the J230 is a bit better than a 172.

It's 50 years newer and uses a better wing too. Only problem I have with it is it is made in Australia, and in Australian manufacturing and all industry, the term "She Be Right Mate" is used multiple times a day on every project.:lol: I built planes and boats in Aus and would buy either.:no:

But the Piagio is ugly.

:confused: Which Piagio you think is ugly? They make a three wheeled Cushman type vehicle that clog the streets of Italy that is ugly in a cute way, but I can't think of an aircraft that qualifies.

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty good, and has a very efficient functionality form in that look as well which adds to my liking.

Many have good things to say about it... Mostly quiet, roomy, and fast. I just think it looks like a mess.

I think the biggest contrast can be seen with aerobatics.

For a snap roll with a stick, it can come straight back to a rear corner while simultaneously stomping the rudder. This stalls the wing and the application of aileron helps speed the rotation.

Doing the same thing with a yoke seems to involve some extra "monkey motion". The yoke comes back and you additionally have to turn it one way or the other in a separate motion. Especially weird in a 150 where the yoke comes up a bit at the end of its travel.

I still slightly prefer a side stick over a center stick, and either of those over a yoke. My Cirrus had a side stick and so does my Sky Arrow. But for most kinds of relatively benign non-aerobatic flying, anything is fine.

I think the biggest contrast can be seen with aerobatics.

For a snap roll with a stick, it can come straight back to a rear corner while simultaneously stomping the rudder. This stalls the wing and the application of aileron helps speed the rotation.

Doing the same thing with a yoke seems to involve some extra "monkey motion". The yoke comes back and you additionally have to turn it one way or the other in a separate motion. Especially weird in a 150 where the yoke comes up a bit at the end of its travel.

I still slightly prefer a side stick over a center stick, and either of those over a yoke. My Cirrus had a side stick and so does my Sky Arrow. But for most kinds of relatively benign non-aerobatic flying, anything is fine.

Even doing aerobatics in the F-33C or C-152 I never really noticed a great difference. Hoover did his routine with a yoke as well, didn't seem to affect his performance. Really, it never even phases me what type of control they have. The biggest control difference among all GA planes I have been in has been the nose wheel steering on the Aerostar. Taxiing with a rocker switch is a bit of an odd thing, but even that is learned quickly.

Stick makes for awkward moments in MHC history.

Double the pleasure though.

Back