STC process - looking to hire indiviual with approptiate experience.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
For the past year, I have been working with a plastics manufacturing company that is seeking to branch out into aerospace applications. With their expertise in formulating new plastic blends and their experience in manufacturing techniques we see many opportunities for aftermarket (and perhaps OEM) products to improve aircraft utility and performance.

Our first planned product is designed to address a performance deficiency found in many aircraft – specifically: insufficient useful capacity (people and baggage) with full fuel. One reason for this lack of capability is, quite simply, oversized fuel tanks. When the fuel tank is too large, the weight of the excess fuel takes away from cabin load and reduces the perceived value of the aircraft.

To solve this problem, we have developed small, fuel proof, plastic balls that will fit through the filler neck of a fuel tank and reduce the overall fuel capacity. This allows for an increase the weight you can carry in the cabin with full fuel. We believe that we are able to demonstrate that the balls will be durable and not have a detrimental effect on fuel tanks (rigid or bladder), but we are lacking in expertise in the STC process. We are looking to bring someone onto the team with the necessary qualifications and are looking for recommendations.

We are looking for an energetic, self-starter to fill the position of Aircraft Certification Engineer. This individual will work as part of a team coordinating FAA, ODA, and OCD managed certification projects and personnel to maintain a predefined certification schedule and lead the process of obtaining FAA certification and validation through EASA, ANAC, TCCA, NFW, and other Certification Authorities.

Essential Duties & Responsibilities:

Serve as liaison with ODA UM’s, DER's, DAR’s, YGTBFSM, and the FAA to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and policy for airworthiness and supplemental type certification

Interface with Engineering, Program Management, Quality, and Production departments

Develop, compile, and/or coordinate internal and external resources to assist in the development of data to support the certification activities with items such as Project Specific Certification Plans, Conformity Inspection Plans, Test Plans, Test Reports, Instructions for Continued Airworthiness, EWIS Zonal Analysis, Cartoons for Cube Farm Walls, Functional Hazard Assessments, System Safety Assessments, and Request for Conformities for STC data packages

Work closely with Quality Assurance (QA) during the conformity process

Track the conformity progress for all projects

Verify compliance has been met for applicable FAR’s per the agreed upon PSCP WTF for this project

Generate and maintain a master certification schedule for the project and keep company management aware of the project status and key deadlines

Job Requirements

Language Skills:

Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English and/or Etruscan

Have excellent written and interpersonal communications skills, well versed in the art and science of sarcasm.

Ability to speak effectively before imaginary employees of the organization

Be able to fluently argue Newton vs. Bernoulli

Minimum Qualifications:

Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Underwater Basket, or Aerospace Engineering preferred

In depth knowledge of 14 CFR Parts 21, 23, 25, 27, and 29 required

Prior aircraft certification experience desired

Minimum of five (5) years experience with FAA regulations, procedures, arguing in circles, and the STC process required

FAA Designated Engineering Representative or ODA Unit Member status a plus

Proficient using the Microsoft Office software suite (at least as well as a typical 6th grader)

You aren’t actually reading this, are you?

Knowledge of applications like or similar to Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project and/or Smartsheet helpful

Excellent organization and communication skills with a great attention to detail

Ability to maintain accurate and/or creative up-to-date certification records

Ability to develop and deliver presentations to a group without vomiting.

Possess a high degree of self-medication

Ability to work with both internal and external customers in a multi-tasking environment

Last edited:
I got laugh out of it! The idea of putting plastic balls in fuel tanks to reduce fuel capacity is _________. Maybe they can fill them with helium too!

I got laugh out of it! The idea of putting plastic balls in fuel tanks to reduce fuel capacity is _________. Maybe they can fill them with helium too!
I'm not laughing. They could string 'em up like rosary beads and calibrate them in passenger weights. That way, they could be withdrawn after the flight. I say, "Go fer it!"

I'm not laughing. They could string 'em up like rosary beads and calibrate them in passenger weights. That way, they could be withdrawn after the flight. I say, "Go fer it!"

Anyone else picturing anal beads? No?

You are now, I'd wager.

While they are at it, can they create a plastic box to put in my left passenger seat to increase the load I can put in the right passenger seat?

Put the plastic balls on a treadmill, everyone always compliments my fuel capacity on a treadmill.

I have read your proposal and found it not to be without merit. I just have a few questions.

Will the balls be ethanol proof as well as gasoline proof just in case the guy at the BP station lied to me about their gas?

Will you be able to claim a certain amount of buoyancy created by the balls in case of a ditching? Could be an additional marketing point.

Will they be able to be replaced by the owner as preventative maintenance?

Will you be able to remove them from the wings and place them in the cockpit so that you can carry more fuel but not affect the plane’s empty weight?

Will there be a published ball:gallon ratio in the flight manual supplement so one could install or remove the appropriate number of balls to effect the desired change in fuel capacity?

Could you make these displacement devices cubical rather than spherical so they don’t roll and bounce around so much when low on fuel?

I await your reply.

Reminds me of the trick some of the old time heavy equipment operators used to use on their diesel fueled machines when they felt like their employer was abusing them. Every day the old basturds would throw a cigar butt or two, or a ping pong ball, in the fuel tank of his machine. Eventually he'd get an intermittent running machine, or a flat out break down. When the tank got low, or stirred just right, the trash would clog the fuel pick up, then when the machine stopped sucking fuel, the debris would float away and the machine would start and run again. Used to drive the mechanics nuts. Hard to place a specific blame, and extremely aggravating.

Plastic balls in the fuel tank were common when I worked as an IndyCar mechanic between 1997 and 2007. The fuel cell bag capacity of the Panoz carbon fiber tub was over the allowed limit.

I would go through a few fillups and pumpouts adjusting the number and size of balls until the fuel cell took exactly 30 gallons. The balls were confined in a nylon mesh sack and tie wrapped to the fuel pump down tube.

Back