STC Documentation Requirements

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I was searching POA threads for something and saw a few things I didn't agree with regarding STCs. Here is my list of documents an owner operator reasonably should expect to receive when an STC is incorporated on an airplane (when they are applicable).

I don't work providing services to aircraft GA owners and my intent is not to try and make life harder for someone that does. That said, some of what I read in POA lookes like a cargo cult approach. One thing I kept in mind when I ran projects (for 121 aircraft) we (operators and vendors) all need each other. Huge electronics and manufacturing industries simply can't be bothered with the small regulated niche GA represents.

Presented in no particular order:
1 - Written permission to use the STC
2 - Log Book Entry
3 - Form 337
4 - POH supplement
5 - Instructions For Continued Airworthiness

My references are shown below.

STC Definition (Good Starting Point)

From FAA web Page
A supplemental type certificate (STC) is a type certificate (TC) issued when an applicant has received FAA approval to modify an aeronautical product from its original design. The STC, which incorporates by reference the related TC, approves not only the modification but also how that modification affects the original design.
For complex design modifications, the Aircraft Certification Office may ask that you follow the Original Design Approval Process.

§91.403 Owner Responsibility
(d) A person must not alter an aircraft based on a supplemental type certificate unless the owner or operator of the aircraft is the holder of the supplemental type certificate, or has written permission from the holder.
- ALSO -
49 U.S. Code § 44704 - Type certificates, production certificates, airworthiness certificates,,

(3) Requirement.- If the holder of a supplemental type certificate agrees to permit another person to use the certificate to modify an aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance, the holder shall provide the other person with written evidence, in a form acceptable to the Administrator, of that agreement. A person may change an aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance based on a supplemental type certificate only if the person requesting the change is the holder of the supplemental type certificate or has permission from the holder to make the change.

2 - Log Book Entry

§43.9 Content, form, and disposition of maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alteration records (except inspections performed in accordance with part 91, part 125, §135.411(a)(1), and §135.419 of this chapter).

(a) Maintenance record entries. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, each person who maintains, performs preventive maintenance, rebuilds, or alters an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part shall make an entry in the maintenance record of that equipment containing the following information: . . .

(d) In addition to the entry required by paragraph (a) of this section, major repairs and major alterations shall be entered on a form, and the form disposed of, in the manner prescribed in appendix B, by the person performing the work.

3 - Form 337

Appendix B to Part 43-Recording of Major Repairs and Major Alterations

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this appendix, each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall-
(1) Execute FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate;
(2) Give a signed copy of that form to the aircraft owner; and

4 - POH supplement

§21.5 Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual.

(a) With each airplane or rotorcraft not type certificated with an Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual and having no flight time before March 1, 1979, the holder of a type certificate (including amended or supplemental type certificates) or the licensee of a type certificate must make available to the owner at the time of delivery of the aircraft a current approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual.

§21.50 Instructions for continued airworthiness and manufacturer's maintenance manuals having airworthiness limitations sections.

(b) The holder of a design approval, including either a type certificate or supplemental type certificate for an aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller for which application was made after January 28, 1981, must furnish at least one set of complete Instructions for Continued Airworthiness to the owner of each type aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller upon its delivery, or upon issuance of the first standard airworthiness certificate for the affected aircraft, whichever occurs later. The Instructions for Continued Airworthiness must be prepared in accordance with §§23.1529, 25.1529, 25.1729, 27.1529, 29.1529, 31.82, 33.4, 35.4, or part 26 of this subchapter, or as specified in the applicable airworthiness criteria for special classes of aircraft defined in §21.17(b), as applicable. If the holder of a design approval chooses to designate parts as commercial, it must include in the Instructions for Continued Airworthiness a list of commercial parts submitted in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (c) of this section. Thereafter, the holder of a design approval must make those instructions available to any other person required by this chapter to comply with any of the terms of those instructions. In addition, changes to the Instructions for Continued Airworthiness shall be made available to any person required by this chapter to comply with any of those instructions.

Last edited:
Weight & Balance amendment

Equipment List Revision

IMHO

Electrical Load analysis and supplemental wiring diagrams, and no those aren't usually in the ICA.

Is there such thing as a POH supplement? I think standard verbiage on any FAA approved document is gonna say Airplane Flight Manual Supplement even if the STC is installed in an aircraft that doesn't have an Airplane Flight Manual.

+2 - was expecting this as an anonymous post in the Medical section. :)

I Was searching POA threads for something and saw a few things I didn't agree with regarding STCs. Here is my list of documents an owner operator reasonably should expect to receive when an STC is incorporated on an airplane (when they are applicable).

I don't work providing services to aircraft GA owners and my intent is not to try and make life harder for someone that does. That said, some of what I read in POA lookes like a cargo cult approach. One thing I kept in mind when I ran projects (for 121 aircraft) we (operators and vendors) all need each other. Huge electronics and manufacturing industries simply can't be bothered with the small regulated niche GA represents.

Presented in no particular order:
2 - Log Book Entry
3 - Form 337
4 - POH supplement

My references are shown below.

STC Definition (Good Starting Point)

From FAA web Page
A supplemental type certificate (STC) is a type certificate (TC) issued when an applicant has received FAA approval to modify an aeronautical product from its original design. The STC, which incorporates by reference the related TC, approves not only the modification but also how that modification affects the original design.
For complex design modifications, the Aircraft Certification Office may ask that you follow the Original Design Approval Process.

§91.403 Owner Responsibility
(d) A person must not alter an aircraft based on a supplemental type certificate unless the owner or operator of the aircraft is the holder of the supplemental type certificate, or has written permission from the holder.
- ALSO -
49 U.S. Code § 44704 - Type certificates, production certificates, airworthiness certificates,,

(3) Requirement.- If the holder of a supplemental type certificate agrees to permit another person to use the certificate to modify an aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance, the holder shall provide the other person with written evidence, in a form acceptable to the Administrator, of that agreement. A person may change an aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance based on a supplemental type certificate only if the person requesting the change is the holder of the supplemental type certificate or has permission from the holder to make the change.

2 - Log Book Entry

§43.9 Content, form, and disposition of maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alteration records (except inspections performed in accordance with part 91, part 125, §135.411(a)(1), and §135.419 of this chapter).

(a) Maintenance record entries. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, each person who maintains, performs preventive maintenance, rebuilds, or alters an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part shall make an entry in the maintenance record of that equipment containing the following information: . . .

(d) In addition to the entry required by paragraph (a) of this section, major repairs and major alterations shall be entered on a form, and the form disposed of, in the manner prescribed in appendix B, by the person performing the work.

3 - Form 337

Appendix B to Part 43-Recording of Major Repairs and Major Alterations

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this appendix, each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall-
(1) Execute FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate;
(2) Give a signed copy of that form to the aircraft owner; and

4 - POH supplement

§21.5 Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual.

(a) With each airplane or rotorcraft not type certificated with an Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual and having no flight time before March 1, 1979, the holder of a type certificate (including amended or supplemental type certificates) or the licensee of a type certificate must make available to the owner at the time of delivery of the aircraft a current approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual.

§21.50 Instructions for continued airworthiness and manufacturer's maintenance manuals having airworthiness limitations sections.

(b) The holder of a design approval, including either a type certificate or supplemental type certificate for an aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller for which application was made after January 28, 1981, must furnish at least one set of complete Instructions for Continued Airworthiness to the owner of each type aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller upon its delivery, or upon issuance of the first standard airworthiness certificate for the affected aircraft, whichever occurs later. The Instructions for Continued Airworthiness must be prepared in accordance with §§23.1529, 25.1529, 25.1729, 27.1529, 29.1529, 31.82, 33.4, 35.4, or part 26 of this subchapter, or as specified in the applicable airworthiness criteria for special classes of aircraft defined in §21.17(b), as applicable. If the holder of a design approval chooses to designate parts as commercial, it must include in the Instructions for Continued Airworthiness a list of commercial parts submitted in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (c) of this section. Thereafter, the holder of a design approval must make those instructions available to any other person required by this chapter to comply with any of the terms of those instructions. In addition, changes to the Instructions for Continued Airworthiness shall be made available to any person required by this chapter to comply with any of those instructions.
Testing is the starting point and then antivirals and antibiotics for specific infections. There are some fungus out there which routine testing may miss. If it’s an assault situation you may get treatment started before testing is complete. Hope that helps.

Oh, Nevermind...

I hope you got your answer already, because there are 4 pages of jokes incoming..

I thought this was about something completely different and inappropriate.
Sounds like a question many here wish had been asked before...

I hope you got your answer already, because there are 4 pages of jokes incoming..

I went to see my AME and he told me I had to stop masturbating...I asked why, and he said, "Because you're in a doctor's office"...waka waka

Last edited:
Weight & Balance amendment
Equipment List Revision

IMHO
Electrical Load analysis and supplemental wiring diagrams, and no those aren't usually in the ICA.

Is there such thing as a POH supplement? I think standard verbiage on any FAA approved document is gonna say Airplane Flight Manual Supplement even if the STC is installed in an aircraft that doesn't have an Airplane Flight Manual.

Thank you,
I agree with all three.

After reading the 337s on my own airplane, I went out and bought a copy of ASTM_F2490 − ELECTRICAL_LOAD_ANALYSIS and worked on up for my own aircraft, which led me to realize I had very little power capacity left on my airplane.

I've had the dispute over ICAs with airline vendors too, I had to create my own WDMs for almost every non-production system in my airplane.

I've heard flight manual supplements referred to by different terms interchangeably, "POH" supplement may be a technically incorrect acronym.

Last edited:
2 - Log Book Entry
3 - Form 337
4 - POH supplement
1) if bought new included in paperwork; if bought used need to procure before install
2) yes
3) only if major alteration
4) as corrected above; AFM or RFM supplement
5) only if STC was approved after a certain date.

Now do we understand why we get the aircraft history records on the CD or electronic version when we buy any aircraft?

337s have a habit of not making it to OKC, It's nice to find at annual that your aircraft doesn't comply with its type design, because who ever didn't send in the 337 properly altering your aircraft.

The history records show 3 maybe 4 STCs installed that are no longer on the aircraft. Is it airworthy?
Most common.. aircraft originally equipped with Bendix Brakes, now has Cleveland's, no paper any where. is it airworthy? (trick question read it carefully)

I’m an A&P (not employed as one) and installed a JPI engine monitor on my 182 as -advisory- only. Original engine gauges left in tact. The JPI comes with STCs (I’m assuming they’re for those replacing EGT/CHT/fuel flow primary gauges?).

I agree with having a logbook entry and w&b revision, but is a 337 necessary as I haven’t changed or removed the type-certificated equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m an A&P (not employed as one) and installed a JPI engine monitor on my 182 as -advisory- only. Original engine gauges left in tact. The JPI comes with STCs (I’m assuming they’re for those replacing EGT/CHT/fuel flow primary gauges?).

I agree with having a logbook entry and w&b revision, but is a 337 necessary as I haven’t changed or removed the type-certificated equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it’s anything other than 900 or 930 it cannot replace any stock gauges. Mine is 830 and I have 337 for it

I haven’t changed or removed the type-certificated equipment?
This is not the only defining requirement for a major alteration. If the JPI install meets any of the requirements found in Part 43 Appendix A(a) then it would need a 337 for those items. An alteration is an alteration regardless of the intent or result.

Ref. AC 20-62 tells us parts installed on certificated airplanes must be FAA approved parts or FAA acceptable parts.
My guess. I don't know any of the details related to the JPI monitor. Chances are the STC holder also has FAA manufacturing approval to make the part or has given the manufacturer use a PMA assist so they could get FAA MIDO approval to make that monitor, installation kit, and as a result it's an airplane part.

I don't believe its FAA approved for installation on your airplane, if you don't incorporate the STC. It needs to be installed per the STC installation instructions too, I suppose you could just put it on a an FAA minor though. In as much as it is approved, it's unlikely to interfere with anything.

Last edited:
I don't believe its FAA approved for installation on your airplane,
FYI: a part/installation only requires approval if it's a replacement part, i.e., remove existing TC/specification part and replace with another part, or the installation is considered a major alteration. Since a JPI was not part of the TC that I know of, the JPI could fall under an acceptable part and installed as a minor alteration. It's up to the installer to determine the correct path.

Don't know about the 121 world but normally an FAA ACO grants part production approvals with the MIDO handling the leg work if needed.

Ref. AC 20-62 tells us parts installed on certificated airplanes must be FAA approved parts or FAA acceptable parts.
My guess. I don't know any of the details related to the JPI monitor. Chances are the STC holder also has FAA manufacturing approval to make the part or has given the manufacturer use a PMA assist so they could get FAA MIDO approval to make that monitor, installation kit, and as a result it's an airplane part.

I don't believe its FAA approved for installation on your airplane, if you don't incorporate the STC. It needs to be installed per the STC installation instructions too, I suppose you could just put it on a an FAA minor though. In as much as it is approved, it's unlikely to interfere with anything.
When the STC is approved on another aircraft, but not your's you gain approval to install by the use of a deviation to the STC, This is done by the field approval process on a preapproved 337.

FYI: a part/installation only requires approval if it's a replacement part, i.e., remove existing TC/specification part and replace with another part, or the installation is considered a major alteration. Since a JPI was not part of the TC that I know of, the JPI could fall under an acceptable part and installed as a minor alteration. It's up to the installer to determine the correct path.

Don't know about the 121 world but normally an FAA ACO grants part production approvals with the MIDO handling the leg work if needed.

I don't really know much about the whole manufacturing side of things, I've only been involved in a few situations involving STCs and aircraft modification kits. I'm not sure I understand the point your making though. Is it to point out the difference between repair vs. mod? I see where AC 20-62 does specifically address replacement parts. I don't really distinguish between an STC that's applicable for a type aircraft and the TC. I see them as the same approval.

At work we do see requests for alternate repair parts a lot. Where I work avionics, I'd typically be asked to write a (minor) approvals for, alternate wire and connectors if I can show with specifications that the substitute parts meet or exceed the requirements for the installation. I wouldn't touch it if we're talking different FMS software part numbers or something. Company policy is very clear though, no substantiation data = no approval. I know the same goes on for hardware substitutions, sealant substitutions, metal substitutions, etc.

If I'm making a minor modification on my own airplane, I'll still use FAA acceptable parts, materials and approved installation/fabrication practices.

I may simply be spoiled from being in an engineering environment for decades. We do have subscriptions to specification services, Non Disclosure Agreements with the OEMs for their specs and interchangeability DWGs, membership in ARINC and RTCA for those specs. I don't ever guess what the specs for the parts are, I just look them up and determine if they are suitable or not.

That is vastly different from going into the local hardware and eyeballing the bubble packs of hardware made from mystery metal for something you can get away with. I strongly disagree with using parts that have no formal technical definition or characteristics. I don't think you wind up with a reliable and safe airplane that way.

Last edited:
Is it to point out the difference between repair vs. mod?
A repair and alteration are two completely different actions. My comment was to installing a part (JPI) as either a replacement item or as an aircraft alteration.

I strongly disagree with using parts that have no formal technical definition or characteristics.
What do you mean by "formal technical definition"? In some cases, especially with antique aircraft, there are sometimes situations where a trip to the local hardware store is your only option. It falls to the installer to determine this along with some general FAA guidance.

When the STC is approved on another aircraft, but not your's you gain approval to install by the use of a deviation to the STC, This is done by the field approval process on a preapproved 337.
Or you can contact the STC holder to see if they will add your aircraft model to their AML.

Or you can contact the STC holder to see if they will add your aircraft model to their AML.
you can do that too, But if they don't / won't. ?

Then there's the STC's for putting a Lycoming 0-360 in the older 172's, but the owners of the STC are very old or past on, the daughter answers the phone and won't talk to anyone about aircraft, I wonder how long it'll be til the FAA take the STC, I was trying to contact them cause long ago I flew one and it seems like there was a placard on the panel stating "No spins allowed", the owner said it was because the "fences" on top of the wing, I've been working on a 172 lately with the same STC on it and there's no placard and I was trying to contact the owner to find out what's right

I wonder how long it'll be til the FAA take the STC,
FYI: FAA can not "take" an STC. The STC is either surrendered by the holder or abandoned. Once that happens there is a defined process via an FAA Order that is followed. Either way it normally doesn't end up well or better for the end consumer. May be have the local FSDO contact them?

Back