SR71 type rating

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
I did a search of the forum, but couldn't find the answer to my question. I have decided to get the type rating, but I am worried about the RSVM requirements. Do I have to get RSVM certified myself if I am just going to climb through the RSVM airspace and not cruise there? I will probably be doing most of my cruising at FL850. (I understand RSVM airspace ends at FL410.) Thanks.

The SR71 is similar to the Honey Badger, it don't care. Regs don't apply. No stinkin' type rating, just fire it up and point the nose up. Fuel economy pretty good too. If ya run low just call up an Air Force tanker. Cool for buzzing the lake too, wild rooster tail! Altitude no biggie, you'll be thru that airspace in minutes, plus you're stealth almost, and so freakin' fast I doubt ATC would even notice you.

Seriously though, I had an SR71 on radar once at the Navy base in Key West that was going so fast he was across the radar scope I swear in about 15-30 seconds. Don't know where, what or why he was doing but we did see him. Headed south, so maybe Cuba or S, America.

Didn't see it on the current type rating list. Was it ever there?

The SR71 is similar to the Honey Badger, it don't care. Regs don't apply. No stinkin' type rating, just fire it up and point the nose up. Fuel economy pretty good too. If ya run low just call up an Air Force tanker. Cool for buzzing the lake too, wild rooster tail! Altitude no biggie, you'll be thru that airspace in minutes, plus you're stealth almost, and so freakin' fast I doubt ATC would even notice you.

Seriously though, I had an SR71 on radar once at the Navy base in Key West that was going so fast he was across the radar scope I swear in about 15-30 seconds. Don't know where, what or why he was doing but we did see him. Headed south, so maybe Cuba or S, America.

Fastest I've seen on radar was an F-15 doing 1,000 + kts in the warning area. Hauling the mail!

See 14 CFR 61.31(a)(2).

Well sure, if a civilian SR-71 was in existence then a type would be required. I know of none at this time.

If you're a military pilot flying an aircraft that meets the requirements of 61.31, no type rating is required.

Well sure, if a civilian SR-71 was in existence then a type would be required. I know of none at this time.
Yeah, Flight Safety is giving me that same run-around. Anyone know of any other reputable training center that they would recommend?

The real question is, what approach category is the SR-71 certified under? Please cite a reputable reference.

The real question is, what approach category is the SR-71 certified under? Please cite a reputable reference.

Hopefully that will be covered in training. I don't want to have to remain VFR. That would be too limiting for my mission.

Serious question...is this legit or a joke??

I guess I was confused cause he has a lot of posts...what a jokester PPC is
Not always. Sometime I ask questions because they are relevant to matters that I am handling. I like to keep which side of the argument I would be advocating to myself in order to try to get unvarnished thoughts so that I can learn where the weaknesses in my arguments are. Sometimes people think I am being obstreperous when I ask them questions exploring all of the bases for their thoughts, but I really am just trying suss out all of the potential issues, and their relative strength. Other times, my questions are more for my own personal flying.

No fly able SR-71s exist. Therefore training in one is not possible. Just a minor detail that I guess you didn't consider.

man... some people have too much money and too much time... LMAO!

Well, actually, that's the point. I don't have a lot of time. That's why I want to step up a bit on my cruise speed. And I don't need to buy new. So maybe I can shave a few bucks on an older model and let someone else take the hit on depreciation.

No fly able SR-71s exist. Therefore training in one is not possible. Just a minor detail that I guess you didn't consider.

I know some good A&Ps. And I am fine doing sim training until it's online. I understand you can do better scenario based training in a sim anyway.

As of this moment. I am building one in my barn, sort of like farmer astronaut. I am using parts I snuck out of the skunk works in my lunch box and a friend of mines motor home...

one piece at a time, and it wont cost me a dime.....:loco::lol:

When I was in the Air Force, over a great period of years, part by part I was able to collect, put together and complete a whole SR71. The only problem I have is the hangar rent is overdue by about 5 years and I haven't been able to pay it. Fortunately the hangar owner says no problem, I know you're good for it, eventually. Fortunately he hasn't been by the hangar except to put new locks on so I couldn't take it out. So there it sits, all ready to go. But I have no money for rent. Damn stinkin' rent money.

When I was in the Air Force, over a great period of years, part by part I was able to collect, put together and complete a whole SR71. The only problem I have is the hangar rent is overdue by about 5 years and I haven't been able to pay it. Fortunately the hangar owner says no problem, I know you're good for it, eventually. Fortunately he hasn't been by the hangar except to put new locks on so I couldn't take it out. So there it sits, all ready to go. But I have no money for rent. Damn stinkin' rent money.
NO problemo....if it was really a stealth......he'll never see it. :lol:

It's not a tail dragger so why would you even bother with it?

Well, to be honest, all those parts I collected did not include the nose wheel and assembly. So, I just put an old tailwheel I had hanging around (alright I stole one off one tied down outside after midnight), haven't tested it out yet because of that damn rent, but I expect no problems. So I actually have the only tailwheel Blackbird in existence.

Last edited:
NO problemo....if it was really a stealth......he'll never see it. :lol:

True, but he never goes inside the hangar at all either. I also haven't been able to pay the power bill and he's afraid of the dark, and that black paint job I did on would blend in anyway.

Please start to familiarize yourself with the cockpit before training.

Hey great idea! I could do cockpit familiarization and make so money, pay the hangar rent, well maybe not, there's that strip joint on the way to the hangar though...

Does anyone manufacture the fuel any longer? Wasn't it specific for that aircraft?

Back