Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by RDUPilot, Nov 4, 2019.
GMU? Heck, that's just an hour away for me. Wx-permitting, I'll be there.
Checking the weather on weather.com, showing partly sunny and 20% chance of rain. "AM clouds/PM sunny".
forecast is definitely improving....
@bflynn Its what ever the board wants to do. I am fine with either.
Looking rather unlikely for us at this point. Forecasted ceilings at 8am on Saturday are in between 800-1200ft.
The board will have to make a decision by Thursday.
Probably going to be a game time decision for most folks I suspect unless the weather drastically improves.. We shall see...
If we do go with Saturday, I suggest pushing the time forward an hour or two.
Well, we have basketball at 10am and 4pm, which doesn't leave much of a window for travel this Saturday. I'm out.
Not looking good
Improved a little based on latest forecast, but nowhere good enough to get over the hills.
Predicted weather in CLT and RDU is still rain Friday and Sat.
Are we calling it yet? Trying to decide on alternative plans.
weather.com is now forecasting 50% chance of showers from Atlanta to Greenville on Saturday.
thursday will be the go/no go..
I don’t see it happening for us during the morning, as forecasts still imply MVFR to IFR across our route, but after 12 it does appear like it’s mainly VFR across the region. Doing a late lunch might be a possibility. Give it another 24hrs before making a go / no-go?
+2 The GFS MOS ceiling forecast has been improving each cycle (although the MET MOS prediction looks ugly). I'd at least wait until tomorrow morning and decide.
Yeah, let's give it until Friday.
Ask and you shall receive..
24 HOURS IT IS...
IFR still predicted in Raleigh. I’m out.
Yep, and both the TAF and MOS, as well as Windy, don't show much promise.
Brian, we should consider going together some time.
Not looking good for the home team. TAF looks bad, but only goes through 7am. GFS MOS for 10am isn't promising:
7am prog shows decent chances of precip:
I'm going to wait for the next TAF cycle to call it.
Not looking good for the time we want to gather.. It starts to break up around noon in the Raleigh area, but that would put the lunch at about 2pm. The weather will not break in our favor enough for a good contingent to get to GMU.
@midlifeflyer (Mark) you still in the VFR only mooney correct?
KGMU 131750Z 1318/1418 04009KT 5SM -RA BR BKN004 OVC015
TEMPO 1318/1322 2SM +RA BR OVC004
FM132300 03006KT 2SM -RA BR OVC004
FM140600 23006KT 1SM -RA BR OVC004
PROB30 1406/1412 1/2SM -DZ FG OVC002
FM141500 25009KT P6SM SCT024
Stick a fork in it? Done?
** THE GMU GET TOGETHER HAS BEEN CANCELLED **
We will try again on JAN 4TH
Everybody onboard to reschedule for January 4?
Sure. Too bad we didn't schedule it for Sunday. Wx looks great!
Yep. And I wouldn't be able to make a later trip for different reasons.
I've been silent on this one so far. Too many times I've committed, shown up and been pretty much alone. Seems it would have happened again. So, won't say I'm in for Jan 4. However should that date become real, the plane's usually gassed up and ready. Normally I'd say something about getting instrument ratings, but in the spirit of Christmas I won't.
It has zero to do with instrument ratings. Aside from this little thing called ice, an instrument rating means to can do some things you cant do otherwise. Doesnt mean you want to or have to. My aircraft limitation aside, it is about enjoyment. Years ago a friend called me about a proposed flyin when the weather was marginal. My friend said, "I wouldn't go, but you ate so much more experienced, so let's go together." My response was, "heres how can experienced pilot sees this. Do you want to go to a BBQ in this weather?"
Not exactly the same, but, assuming I had access to the FIKI fully capable aircraft I sometimes use, why would I want to go to a flyin event a number of people cant for various reasons?
Thanks for the invite @RDUPilot Usually POA pings me when I am mentioned, somehow I missed this one.
I couldn't have made tomorrow anyway, going fishing. Jan 4th I have to work. But please keep me in the loop on future gatherings.
Right now the 4th looks good for me.
I might actually be able to make a lunch at GMU!
If things work out I may do breakfast at LZU with EAA 690 and the lunch at GMU.
Could be a fun day as long as the ice stays away.
I could be a maybe for Jan 4th!
I can’t do the 4th, but as they say, “one monkey don’t stop no show”.
It's noon now here in north Atlanta and right on cue, the sun pops out. If we go for Jan. 4, I'm in.
Instead of lunch, I flew down to Peachtree City for the Atlanta TRACON Open House. Very cool if you ever r the chance.
I’d love to do that! How often do they host an open house?
You're working on a Saturday? For shame....oh, wait, as I type this, I'm working on a Saturday too...
I have a plane reserved for the 4th, but also available to be cargo if someone else from the Raleigh area is going, say from Sanford->Johnston County->Louisburg->Raleigh. Definitely split costs
I’ll find out. I have the contact info of the controller who was in charge of it. Maybe we could even arrange a PoA tour.