Some clarification needed

bob8619

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Downey
Hey guys, new here. In the process of obtaining my private.

My questions are in regards to some of the regulations. I've searched but haven't found anything touching on my exact questions so I'm going to ask here.

First, is it legal to have someone pay for your training or does it classify as being compensated? If that IS legal to do does it stop being legal after your receive the private and from there you are required to pay for your other ratings?

Next is, once I obtain my private license, I understand you can't be hired to fly but if my family member or friend says "hey the weather is nice we should go for a flight" and he pays his half, would that mean I've been hired since it was someone elses idea to fly?

Third, someone can't gift me flight time? Like say its my birthday and my mom wants to pay for me to enjoy some flight time, no go? I typically receive cash for Christmas and birthdays so would I be breaking the law to use that money to go fly?

I'm just looking to clarify, I am not trying to find ways to break the law or anything.

Thanks guys and girls.

Just do everything you stated and don't worry about it. The FAA has bigger fish to fry then your buddy asking to go flying with you or your mom paying for your flight training. I know lots of kids who have had their parents pay for all the training as well as buy them airplanes to fly them around in. Just use your head.

Hey guys, new here. In the process of obtaining my private.
First, Welcome!

My questions are in regards to some of the regulations. I've searched but haven't found anything touching on my exact questions so I'm going to ask here.

First, is it legal to have someone pay for your training or does it classify as being compensated? If that IS legal to do does it stop being legal after your receive the private and from there you are required to pay for your other ratings?

This concept will float through your other questions as well. The lawyers call it quid pro quo. Translated from the latin, it is "this for that".

If a family member or relative offers to pay for your training with no obligation on your part to do something in return, then this is perfectly legal. Grab the money and go fly!

Next is, once I obtain my private license, I understand you can't be hired to fly but if my family member or friend says "hey the weather is nice we should go for a flight" and he pays his half, would that mean I've been hired since it was someone elses idea to fly?

If you had approached the family member and said "hey the weather is nice, let's go" and he paid half, then it is also completely legal and within the rules. Where you approach that old grey line is when your friend initiates the question. BUT remember, once you have your PPL it is perfectly legal to fly your friend for free anywhere. Just because he is a nice guy and wants to buy you dinner (or a Tesla, or .....) is of no concern to the FAA. Quid pro Quo again. So don't be inviting a problem by discussing the trip in the FBO Lobby with the FSDO Inspector hiding behind the potted palm. Have any and all discussions about money privately.
Third, someone can't gift me flight time? Like say its my birthday and my mom wants to pay for me to enjoy some flight time, no go? I typically receive cash for Christmas and birthdays so would I be breaking the law to use that money to go fly?
Quid pro Quo. Is this an unrestricted gift? Take it and go fly. Or snowmobiling. Whatever.

Most people get caught when someone says, "hey your a pilot. Take me to Big City right now and I will pay your expenses and maybe a little extra for your time." When they arrive at Big City and find out how much it costs, they start complaining to the FSDO. Smell that smoke? That is your certificate being burned. But that is extremely rare.

Last edited:
Okay just a dude on a forum who hasn't looked at a FAR about any of this.

1. yes someone can pay for your ratings even after ppl. Employers do it with ATP or some MEC

2. regarding a family member paying when you weren't scheduled to fly. Not legal but really how it the heck can anyone prove otherwise. Literally the only way to get busted for that is to call up the FAA and tell them.

3. Legal i'm sure. I mean its cash right once its gifted to you you can do w/e you want with it including buying yourself some time.

You may certainly accept gifts from a relative, or a gift of your training for something besides flying (won a raffle, your boss rewarding you for a job well done...), what you may not accept is compensation for flying a plane. The FAA is really not concerned with this scenario.

Thanks guys and girls.

So let' say they gave you $200. Put that $200 in the bank.... Then withdraw $200 you already had in there... Now you're clear of any trouble... :D

WELCOME!! :D

As long as they aren't paying you to fly them somewhere and as long as you aren't holding yourself out as a pilot for quasi-hire, you're fine.

What you described in your first post, in its entirety, is completely legal. If it weren't then you wouldn't even be able to take out a loan to pay for your training and prospective pilots do that all the time at the likes of ERAU or NDU.

Yes it's OK if someone else suggests the idea as long as it is casual. It's still legal even if they need to get someplace and just happen to have the idea. It is even legal to fly with the same person repeatedly as long as you both have some reason to make the flight (like a $100 hamburger or to visit some attraction or whatever). But if your only reason for making the flights is because you want to build time and the other person needs to get someplace it gets gray real quick.

But in your examples, you didn't wave your hand figuratively in the air offering to fly people for half cost - that crosses the line. Casual flights, even when others have the idea, are fine.

If you put up a sign at the FBO, that crosses the line. If you "put out the word" at the flight school, that crosses the line. If you start a website or post to a website for the purpose of encountering people who need a ride and are willing to pay half the cost, that is being tried right now (FlyteNow) and has run afoul of the FAA.

Others on here will refer you to the various cases and chief counsel opinions on this topic.

Last edited:
I like a good bottle of bourbon as a gift. Not for taking on a flight but because we're friends.

Back