SOLO!!!

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
Working on my SP ticket, and finally soloed in a Tecnam Bravo at X04 (Apopka, FL) this morning. It's been a struggle because my CFIs keep going to the airlines. I'm on instructor number four now (and the third one to tell me I was ready to solo once we had good weather).

It's been frustrating. I'd get to the point of being ready, we'd get blown out for a week or two, the CFI would quit, and I'd end up going a month or so without flying. Rinse and repeat. Feels good to finally get there.

Three full stops. First was great, smooth and straight. Second was okay, but a bit off center and could have been a hair straighter. Third was perfectly straight and straddling the centerline, but just a little hard. All three were acceptable and safe, though, so I'm happy. A great day!

Pic below. I'm the ugly old guy in blue. My CFI is the young guy in red.

upload_2017-3-9_17-29-33.png

Congratulations!

Thanks! Hopefully CFI #4 will hang around long enough for me to finish. Adam's been losing lots of folks to the airlines, and he's been trying to hire for a while.

Working on my SP ticket, and finally soloed in a Tecnam Bravo at X04 (Apopka, FL) this morning. It's been a struggle because my CFIs keep going to the airlines. I'm on instructor number four now (and the third one to tell me I was ready to solo once we had good weather).

It's been frustrating. I'd get to the point of being ready, we'd get blown out for a week or two, the CFI would quit, and I'd end up going a month or so without flying. Rinse and repeat. Feels good to finally get there.

Three full stops. First was great, smooth and straight. Second was okay, but a bit off center and could have been a hair straighter. Third was perfectly straight and straddling the centerline, but just a little hard. All three were acceptable and safe, though, so I'm happy. A great day!

Pic below. I'm the ugly old guy in blue. My CFI is the young guy in red.

View attachment 51975

Fantastic! Don't sweat landing on the exact center of the runway. Each landing will be a little different even after doing thousands of them. Now get up there and fly tons of hours and make the plane one with you. That way when you get to the checkride it will be just a formality.

Yay! What a great experience, eh?

Very cool experience. Also very intense. The focus required reminded me of that for driving a racecar or doing a cave dive. (Fortunately it doesn't last as long.) One of life's great experiences for sure.

Congrats. Keep at it. Yell if u have any questions.

Woo hoo! Big day! Congrats buddy!

Congratulations on hitting that big milestone. Looks like a sweet ride too!

Congrats.... now finish it up. Passengers are great.

Congrats!! I have an ATP and I soloed in 1984...

It's the only major milestone I remember.
Solo is a biggie!!!

Congrats!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Congratulations, 1/2! Quite an accomplishment, and one that very few humans on this planet have done.

Congrats! All the best with the rest of your training.

Congrats!

If I ever get done with the rest of the single engine stuff I hope to be that CFI who "isn't going anywhere" for folks like yourself who keep losing them to something more lucrative. Ha.

LOL! Yeah, if I can just figure out a way to put the motorcycle into an LSA luggage compartment! :)

Why not just keep one in my hangar?

Are you coming to Sun-n-Fun this year?

Highly unlikely. Third grandbaby due any day now in Knoxville, and back-and-forth to our new property in TN quite regularly to deal with hassles (grrrr...) is keeping us quite occupied.

But I always keep a quick dash down and back an option in the back of my mind. Will let you know if that becomes a real option.

Why not just keep one in my hangar?

Not a bad idea! Of course, I would need to buy another bike to keep here. Maybe a 'wing for Florida, and keep the Triumph in Georgia.

I see why this flying stuff gets so expensive...

Highly unlikely. Third grandbaby due any day now in Knoxville, and back-and-forth to our new property in TN quite regularly to deal with hassles (grrrr...) is keeping us quite occupied.

But I always keep a quick dash down and back an option in the back of my mind. Will let you know if that becomes a real option.

So have you scheduled the baby's first motorcycle ride and first flight yet? :)

Not a bad idea! Of course, I would need to buy another bike to keep here. Maybe a 'wing for Florida, and keep the Triumph in Georgia.

I see why this flying stuff gets so expensive...

When I was in your situation, this was part of the solution (for the twisties):

6200502220_64c74513f3.jpg

That and a Suzuki dirt bike for the trails.

So have you scheduled the baby's first motorcycle ride and first flight yet? :)

Not quite yet. Still have to convince someone it's a good idea!

Maybe you should buy Baby's First Parachute or Baby's First Motorcycle Helmet for a shower gift...

Congrats...:happydance: and remember the center line is your friend. Keep aiming for it. Not all runways are wide and not all planes are small.:yes:
No matter what else you do in aviation you will always remember this day!!!! Well done...:thumbsup:

Keep us posted...

...patience...one day at a time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations! Big day that you'll remember always! Keep plugging away and in no time, you'll be ready for your solo cross country!

Back