so why does the 'members online' list others?

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
The software list members, guests, and robots under the members online heading. Is the software confused?

I suppose it must be for the same reason that your Display Name is: "Display Name: Throttle", not to mention it's rather inconspicuous for something that's supposed to be displayed.

It tries to guess from headers and what not what something connected to the site is. Example, the Google bots send specific headers and announce that it’s Google grabbing stuff to the web server. Rare for user software to bother exposing it, but this forum software does for whatever reason.

It is dumb that they titled the thing “members online” though. Bad UI. Normal these days.

I suppose it must be for the same reason that your Display Name is: "Display Name: Throttle", not to mention it's rather inconspicuous for something that's supposed to be displayed.
Na. My display name is a poke at Bob for his suggestion following one of my landings at a backcountry strip in eastern Oregon. The setup is trees, river, airstrip (pretty typical) and I slipped hard just past the trees. There was a nice downdraft over the river so I landed on the airstrip threshold and got stopped before midfield. Bob seemed to be of the opinion that I should have used throttle instead of slipping. Hey, parking was at mid-field so I intended to be down and off by then and that was pretty close to my required landing roll. Anyway after that I changed my display name to throttle as a reminder. Funny stuff.

<-- I think dmspilot was referring to this

Not to the origin of Throttle

I’ve never understood the purpose of display name on here. The actual user name is also displayed and is displayed more prominently. What’s the point in it?

I’ve never understood the purpose of display name on here. The actual user name is also displayed and is displayed more prominently. What’s the point in it?

Features! Easier to code than a really great web UI without most of the screen being white space. ;)

It's there so that y'all can question and discuss why it's there. Easy peasy.

The display name was more prominent using the old forum software. People often changed their display name depending on mood. When we switched to the new software, some wanted to keep the feature.

<-- I think dmspilot was referring to this

Not to the origin of Throttle
Now don’t be tryin’ to mess with my story. Dude wanted to go all tangent on me so I dropped a real tangent on him. We’ll see if he can up the ante. I bet the slacker just folds.

Now don’t be tryin’ to mess with my story. Dude wanted to go all tangent on me so I dropped a real tangent on him. We’ll see if he can up the ante. I bet the slacker just folds.

It was a fine story indeed. Similar to the evolution of my username and display name. But that's been covered in another thread.

It was a fine story indeed. Similar to the evolution of my username and display name. But that's been covered in another thread.
Na, throttle has not been covered in a different thread. Now back off.

Tangent = Opposite / Adjacent

I suppose Throttle is still preferable to Flaps for a display name. Coulda gone the other way, you know.

I suppose Throttle is still preferable to Flaps for a display name. Coulda gone the other way, you know.
Oh, I don't know. I've met a person or two that seemed proud of flaps.

Sorry, I should have written "Similar to the evolution of my username and display name, which has been covered in another thread."

;)
Still all ‘bout you. Nope. Unh-uh. This was about out tangenting tangent boy and that is all over. He tried to get triangular but is obtuse in an acute world.

Back