Display Names: What is it good for?

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
I know it's a holdover from before the Xenforo migration, but is it really still useful nowadays? It doesn't show up when you hit the quote button and it doesn't show up at all in Safari (iOS). It just seems like wasted space. You could potentially pack more messages onto the screen without it when using a desktop browser

5wl91v.png

I know it's a holdover from before the Xenforo migration, but is it really still useful nowadays? It doesn't show up when you hit the quote button and it doesn't show up at all in Safari (iOS). It just seems like wasted space. You could potentially pack more messages onto the screen without it when using a desktop browser

5wl91v.png
Yea, it would make more sense if the display name was the login ID and the name shown to everyone when you post was editable(as in a display name). Or, if it was gone. :)

5wl91v.png
It shows up in Safari for me (iPad). FYI. Other than that I have no opinion, other than I have seen people use it in a humorous way.

It's good for confusing idiots like me into permanently exposing my email address by making me think that only my "display name" would be displayed to others. :(

Send a note to @jason and he'll fix that up for you.

Tell him Pasta Man, er @Ravioli sent ya! ;)

Hah. Just noticed that - has it always been that?
See what I mean? Display names are useless if nobody pays attention to them. I vote we just get rid of them.

@eman1200 inspired my userid change to Ravioli (a supposed insult) and later someone else said "whatever Pasta Man" (another supposed insult) so I use that for Display name.

dude, TOTALLY not meant as an insult. I mean, who doesn't like ravioli?!?

I bet there's a not-to-short list of people who don't like Ravioli. Me or the menu item. And I know you're not on it. ;)

Yes, yes it has. Thank the lord for junk mail filters.

PS. How come I'm not a "POA Supporter" anymore? Did I miss a payment?

Never mind. I see that I missed the cash call. https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/site-operations-fundraiser.102430/page-3

Now I'm a deadbeat and I'll never get my email address removed. :(

If you send a note to the MC, they can (might) change it. I asked for mine (several times) to be changed and about 3 months after I had given up on it, they changed it for me.

dude, TOTALLY not meant as an insult. I mean, who doesn't like ravioli?!?

Ravioli could use more ravioli.
That RV of his would ride the bumps better if it was actually carrying a load. :D

5wl91v.png
It does show it in Safari on iOS. Turn your device into landscape orientation and you will see it the same way as on a desktop computer.

IMO the display name serves the purpose of telling others what their actual name is, if it's not their username.

IMO the display name serves the purpose of telling others what their actual name is, if it's not their username.

OK, but can we not display "Display name" twice? Or is it important for one to have a capital 'N' and one to have a lower case 'n'?

28tut2.png

OK, but can we not display "Display name" twice? Or is it important for one to have a capital 'N' and one to have a lower case 'n'?

28tut2.png
LOL, Yea that's not necessary.

5wl91v.png
Absolutely nothing....

Back