So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Waiting for my private check ride - scheduled for the 24th. Gonna be a long week of waiting.

Did my first true solo today. Flew 25 nm to a different airport. Did several touch and go landings and a full stop. Found my way back home. Got it down down and in the hanger without bending anything.

Had our first XC planning meeting today. Scheduled to do some hood work Monday and if the WX cooperates I'll be going on my first XC flight Thursday.

8th flight doing aerobatics now, having a blast

Last edited:
For my update,
Getting close to the home stretch. Instructor is trying to get me to finish up most of my solo aero experience requirements so then final stretch work on ensuring everything is to PTS.

Unfortunately weather is not cooperating. I've had to CX my last 4 weekends of solo XC attempts due to wx. Some weekends i've even had two slots.

Also to make scheduling a little more difficult, my school lost their 2 full time instructors to regionals and the part time instructors are having to cover while they try to find new ones. It's made weekends busier. i didn't jive with either of them so i went with a seasoned part timer and didn't get bit by it.

35hrs logged
whats left,
another solo XC
dual night XC
maneuvers to PTS
solo finish up.

I'm still aiming to be ready to checkride at 50 or in low 50s.

For my update,
Getting close to the home stretch. Instructor is trying to get me to finish up most of my solo aero experience requirements so then final stretch work on ensuring everything is to PTS.

Unfortunately weather is not cooperating. I've had to CX my last 4 weekends of solo XC attempts due to wx. Some weekends i've even had two slots.

Also to make scheduling a little more difficult, my school lost their 2 full time instructors to regionals and the part time instructors are having to cover while they try to find new ones. It's made weekends busier. i didn't jive with either of them so i went with a seasoned part timer and didn't get bit by it.

35hrs logged
whats left,
another solo XC
dual night XC
maneuvers to PTS
solo finish up.

I'm still aiming to be ready to checkride at 50 or in low 50s.
Don't worry bout how many hours you have before the checkride. When you are ready, your CFI will sign you off

STILL waiting for the weather and the DPE's schedule to cooperate. Flying and polishing stuff up in the meantime. Scheduled for May 7th, but fishing for a DPE that can get me in sooner.

I am now done with 3 Aerobatic lessons. Must say the Hammerhead is a blast and I enjoy them. I am still trucking.

Always enjoy seeing this thread pop back up......

This thread gets my vote for best PoA thread ever. Also looks like I have some catching up to do as far as who's doin what.

I've got 2.5 in an arrow for my complex endorsement out of 10 hours "for insurance purposes", which is weak but seems to be somewhat common from what I hear and I'm really loving that arrow with it's 200 horses and autopilot and altitude hold and retract and constant speed prop and I can't wait to take it on a longish trip and I'm just gonna throw a bit more junk in here so I can make this the longest run-on sentence I've ever created and....stop.

I wish you wouldn't say things like that. I'm shopping and trying to stay in budget!

Passed checkride, should be starting complex and high performance next week.

Private Pilot student, 6 months in, flying weekly. Recently found myself in medical limbo. Meanwhile, I'll keep training, why not, still having fun flying. Could end up Sport, Private, or dual only I guess, depending on how the medical plays out.

Checkride on Tuesday, which coincidentally is my birthday. Weather looks like it may hold for me.

Did a mini practice checkride with the school manager yesterday. He said I did well. It felt good. Made a few mistakes but nothing fatal.

Sport Pilot Here. Got my tailwheel endorsement Wednesday. Also have a new deal worked out to rent a 1941 J3 with an 85. It will be parked in a hanger at a private grass strip about an hour from my house. I'm stoked. Can't wait to take the wife out in it.

New here. I had my first lesson last Friday, and went up again today. I am officially hooked! Only 1.4 hours so far, as my CFI keeps things short due to my motion sickness. My goal is to have my PPL in 18 months. I'd love it sooner, but alas, I can't afford to go the quick route. Especially since my husband is also going for his (he's at 21.2 hours).

New here. I had my first lesson last Friday, and went up again today. I am officially hooked! Only 1.4 hours so far, as my CFI keeps things short due to my motion sickness. My goal is to have my PPL in 18 months. I'd love it sooner, but alas, I can't afford to go the quick route. Especially since my husband is also going for his (he's at 21.2 hours).

Better get that motion sickness under control or youre gonna HATE hood work!

Better get that motion sickness under control or youre gonna HATE hood work!

I used motion-sickness wrist bands today, and I did not throw up this time! I am hoping that my body will adjust, especially as I become more proficient.

I may need to ride a bunch of elevators in between sessions.

Wonder if CFI will let you sit back seat during husbands training. Would probably be beneficial

Passed my second attempt at a check ride today. Busted the first one on the 24th cuz I had a bowl of stupid for breakfast that day. Somehow tried Doing steep turns at a whopping 25 degrees. Oops

Was scheduled to retest on Monday, but DPE had a discontinuance and asked if I had time to go up.

Anyway, .3 on the meter later I had my temp cert in my hand.

8.4 hours in. One more Acro lesson then on to pattern work and soon to solo. Now to complete the dreaded medical.

2.4 hours and 2 lessons in. Been wanting to do this since I was 4 years old probably. I am 33 now, and decided: it is now or never. It is the worst and most expensive time/place in my life to do it, as I am living in Brooklyn, and have to take a train out to Long Island (KFRG) to take lessons in probably the most expensive region in the country.

But I just can't NOT do it anymore. I can't let life get in the way anymore. Work commitments kept me from getting my 3rd lesson it for TWO WHOLE WEEKS and I am going crazy. I go back up Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday (depending on weather/knock on wood) and hope to do 3 times a week from here on out.

P.S. First post woohoo!

2.4 hours and 2 lessons in. Been wanting to do this since I was 4 years old probably. I am 33 now, and decided: it is now or never. It is the worst and most expensive time/place in my life to do it, as I am living in Brooklyn, and have to take a train out to Long Island (KFRG) to take lessons in probably the most expensive region in the country.

But I just can't NOT do it anymore. I can't let life get in the way anymore. Work commitments kept me from getting my 3rd lesson it for TWO WHOLE WEEKS and I am going crazy. I go back up Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday (depending on weather/knock on wood) and hope to do 3 times a week from here on out.

P.S. First post woohoo!

Welcome! It might be worth your time to look into an accelerated program in FL or AZ, if you can get your written knocked out and then get a week or so vacation from work. Just a thought I had when I read your post.

2.4 hours and 2 lessons in [...] But I just can't NOT do it anymore. I can't let life get in the way anymore. Work commitments kept me from getting my 3rd lesson it for TWO WHOLE WEEKS and I am going crazy. I go back up Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday (depending on weather/knock on wood) and hope to do 3 times a week from here on out.

P.S. First post woohoo!

Nice to see another newbie. I hope you're able to knock this out quickly!

Just passed 1k hours. I'm starting to get the hang of landings and hope to be even better when I have twice as much time.

Nice. I just broke 300 hours. I have a lot more instructing to do

Time adds up fast once you get that first big job. I know you're at a 61 school. I did 61 briefly but it was mostly discovery flights.

Lesson #3 yesterday and I MADE A LANDING ALL BY MYSELF!

I love how talking about this makes me sound like a 4 year old because of my over-the-top level of excitement and because I am doing things "all my myself" for the first time.

Anyway, it was amazing even though final was pretty bumpy. I thought the CFI was on the controls with me again (like the previous 3 landings), until we squeaked on and he immediately started clapping and told me he hadn't touched the controls the whole way down.

3.9 down, a lifetime to go.

Time adds up fast once you get that first big job. I know you're at a 61 school. I did 61 briefly but it was mostly discovery flights.
I'm trying to be at the school as much as I can but I can do only 4 days a week due to college.

Well hell! Weather got me today. At least got the oral part of the checkride out of the way. DPE said I did real well on it at least. Rescheduled for next Tuesday.

I've been GoPro-ing my flights for review, and during yesterday's lesson, mounted it on the side window slight behind me for a different view. The suction cup wasn't super stable, but I decided (and told the CFI) that if it fell, I'm ignoring it until after landing/shutdown. Well one of my (seven! woohoo!) landings was, shall we say....firm, and POP! Goodbye GoPro. Rest of the video is a view of the back of my seat :lol:

I've been GoPro-ing my flights for review, and during yesterday's lesson, mounted it on the side window slight behind me for a different view. The suction cup wasn't super stable, but I decided (and told the CFI) that if it fell, I'm ignoring it until after landing/shutdown. Well one of my (seven! woohoo!) landings was, shall we say....firm, and POP! Goodbye GoPro. Rest of the video is a view of the back of my seat :lol:

i have a couple of flights of mine like that. I look back at the end of the flight and, huh, its not there on the canopy.

My issue was solved by making sure there is a bit of moisture on the suction cup when mounting it. (Which i think is supposed to be SOP for suction cup anyways) Haven't had a problem anytime i've made sure that's done.

It's nice that at 2.7k i can pretty much see any gauge values on the panel.

I soloed on Saturday. Now, we moved to cross-country ground work. We did flight planning last night and we are going on a dual x-country on Saturday.

Tip to newer students: Study up (read the textbooks, watch youtube vids, google for aviation websites) on material you're supposed to be doing in your upcoming lessons. It will make your training go more efficient and save you some time and money.

Last edited:
I soloed on Saturday. Now, we moved to cross-country ground work. WE did flight planning last night and we are going on a dual x-country on Saturday.

Congratulations on your solo :goofy:

Back