So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

*sigh* saving for my lessons (expected in early spring 2016). Using the rest of this year to build up capital and get my medical in order.

*sigh* saving for my lessons (expected in early spring 2016). Using the rest of this year to build up capital and get my medical in order.

I think saving up for lessons so you can knock it out faster/cheaper is a good idea. But, I would also say that it is not wasting money to take the odd lesson. It will give you something to look forward to and test drive a CFI or two. I wouldn't take multiple 'discovery' flights, just book an hour of dual training and tell them your status and have fun.

I never thought about just doing the odd dual flight to keep me engaged on what I am saving for.

I was scheduled for a cross-country yesterday but thunderstorms around here squashed that so instead we were going to go up in the pattern for some short/soft field practice. I didn't do so well with those because the winds were very squirrelly trying to stay on top of the plane took all my effort.

Despite being quite a ways outside of my comfort zone it was a great training.
Even my CFI had trouble keeping the plane under control taxiing back to the FBO with the crazy winds.

We had reported a funnel cloud to the tower south of our location and just as we finished up and made our final landing we were informed that a tornado warning was just issued for the area.

took off work tomorrow, flight canceled, aircraft maintenance

guess i'll do something else

Check ride is scheduled for tomorrow morning. The weather man is calling for thunderstorms all day, hope he is wrong.

Check ride is scheduled for tomorrow morning. The weather man is calling for thunderstorms all day, hope he is wrong.

Weather forecasts are only wrong when they predict good weather.

Good luck on your ride!

If it's early I'm thinking you can get it in. Good luck too by the way. I'll be anxious to hear how it goes.

We were able to get everything in today. It was a very through oral, I think mostly because we were waiting on the ceilings to improve. It wasn't my best flying but it was good enough! I just kept telling myself that he didn't say I busted on anything so I must have passed. My CFI said latter that he was sure I had busted since neither one of us had said a word when we got out and pushed the plane back.

The examiner was very professional and fair, really a good dude. I'll try and do a full write up sometime soon.

Thanks fellas, I'm pretty excited. I went to Mark Henly here in Birmingham. He was my CFI's CFI so I was a little intimidated to start out but he comes across as very personable. On the oral portion I kind hurt myself by sending the discussion down a few worm holes when I over elaborated on a few things. Once I started figuring out what he was looking for in an answer the rest of the oral went well.

The flight portion was straight forward; steep turns, slow flight, stalls, short field soft field etc. I thought I had busted the engine out landing because I ate up too much runway and landed a little fast. All in all it went well and I've identified the areas where I am not as proficient as I thought. Gives me a good starting point of things to work on now that I can guide my own training.

I hope to start on my IR later in the year, once my wallet starts to heal from this ticket.

Thanks fellas, I'm pretty excited. I went to Mark Henly here in Birmingham. He was my CFI's CFI so I was a little intimidated to start out but he comes across as very personable. On the oral portion I kind hurt myself by sending the discussion down a few worm holes when I over elaborated on a few things. Once I started figuring out what he was looking for in an answer the rest of the oral went well.

The flight portion was straight forward; steep turns, slow flight, stalls, short field soft field etc. I thought I had busted the engine out landing because I ate up too much runway and landed a little fast. All in all it went well and I've identified the areas where I am not as proficient as I thought. Gives me a good starting point of things to work on now that I can guide my own training.

I hope to start on my IR later in the year, once my wallet starts to heal from this ticket.
The longer time goes from your checkride, the more you will probably realize that you really didn't come close to busting. Where do you fly out of, BHM, EET?

The school is out of BHM, most of the pattern work is at EKY or EET. I did a few extra solo XC flights down to ALX, and SEM.

My first attempt at a short field landing was at EET, the convicts were running all over the place. Pretty sure that end of the grass never got cut that day. Still makes me laugh when I think about it.

I have flown into BHM once with my instructor. Did a couple of XC's to ALX, SCD and ANB, I fly out of 1A9. Have been to 02A, but never EET. Let me know if you ever get down this way.

I have the hours. I can safely fly the plane. Just gotta get the tests done. In study mode.

We are starting to build quite a nice Alabama group. Perhaps we should start planning an Alabama POA meet up.

Congrats -- it was a weight off my shoulders getting that written out of the way.

Who has two thumbs and SOLOED AN AIRPLANE TODAY???

This_guy.jpg

36+ hours, all night requirements done, short solo cross country done, long solo cross country tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had my first official lesson yesterday. I had one intro flight 3 weeks ago and another about 10 years before that. So, I'm definitely hooked. The weather here in TX has finally cleared up and I have my second flight scheduled for next week. The CFI seems pretty good and looks like he will fit with my "checklist oriented and learn by doing" style of learning.

Some things the CFI said...

"Congratulations, you just passed 45 degree turns on your first try. Good job. That's exactly what the examiner will be looking for."

"Wow, you HAVE been studying!"

"Good job on the approach! We're on glide path now."

He handled the short final, but I still had my hands lightly on the controls. It was reassuring to know that the inputs I felt coming from him were the same inputs my brain was telling me were correct.

Anyway, good to be here!

I just had my first official lesson yesterday. I had one intro flight 3 weeks ago and another about 10 years before that. So, I'm definitely hooked. The weather here in TX has finally cleared up and I have my second flight scheduled for next week. The CFI seems pretty good and looks like he will fit with my "checklist oriented and learn by doing" style of learning.

Some things the CFI said...

"Congratulations, you just passed 45 degree turns on your first try. Good job. That's exactly what the examiner will be looking for."

"Wow, you HAVE been studying!"

"Good job on the approach! We're on glide path now."

He handled the short final, but I still had my hands lightly on the controls. It was reassuring to know that the inputs I felt coming from him were the same inputs my brain was telling me were correct.

Anyway, good to be here!

That sounds like an excellent start!! Keep us posted of your progress.

So I passed the systems test yesterday. I don't have to go home just yet.

Night cross country knocked out last night. Not as good as I would have liked, but within PTS standards. Scheduled Tuesday for the short solo XC, and next Saturday for the long solo XC.

All I lack after that is 1 hour of hood work, and 3 hours of checkride prep. :)

Lets see, got all my reqs. Passed my schools check ride sufficiently for my instructor to cx the followup and go straight to the DPE. Meeting at the school this weekend to go over paperwork.

Each lesson now i'm amazed as to how few hours are actually required. I mean in my state you need 40 hours just for your drivers license.

I took a month break after my IFR checkride. Now I am back in the saddle with my first lesson cometed toward my commercial!

Back